HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:34 am 

I have friends who live there and unless someone is holding a gun to your head and all other houses in Milton are sold, don't buy anywhere near that chicken plant. anyone who says less has lost their sense of smell from too much partying.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:15 pm 

The house we are looking at is excellent, meets most of our requirements except the farm issue. i read online the farm has been sold, but the fact is its still operational and when it seizes to operate no one knows. .
Spoke to a friends friend who lives in area, said yes stink is there every 2-3 weeks when barn is cleaned or vented, mostly at night, one has to close the windows, more frequent in summers.
And then there are those who live right across the barn and say what smell?
so confusing.... still thinking :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:41 pm 

saraM wrote:
The house we are looking at is excellent, meets most of our requirements except the farm issue. i read online the farm has been sold, but the fact is its still operational and when it seizes to operate no one knows. .
Spoke to a friends friend who lives in area, said yes stink is there every 2-3 weeks when barn is cleaned or vented, mostly at night, one has to close the windows, more frequent in summers.
Someone knows. I still say it's a great location for multiple high rise. Great views. Escarpment view or your back yard.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:55 pm 

saraM wrote:

I agree ... The homes Mattamy is building there are excellent. My client just bought the waterford model on Bartleman Terrace, and it end up costing them the same as a 2 yr old resale model today.

However, if you were my client and the home was perfect but you couldn't get over an issue with the location, I would have to advise you to find another home in a more suitable location.

I don't know how soon you need to be moved into a new home, however, if you have time on your side then you definitely have a few options:

1) Mattamy is said to have another release south of LSL late this year or early next year. I would confirm with the sales office though.

2) Great Gulf has a release at Britannia and Tremaine Spring 2015

3) the same models you are looking at are being built off of James Snow and at another site at Bronte and Farmstead. Most likely a few homes in those subdivisions will hit the Market shortly after they are complete. If you need help with this option I would be glad to help out.

Good luck with your decision and feel free to reach out anytime if you have questions or need a hand.

www.LEONVAYMAN.com
facebook | Linkedin | YouTube
CLICK HERE to Listen to what Leon's past clients are saying!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:55 am 

I live a few streets in from that area (Near Gleeson and Philbrook, a couple of streets towards the farm)

I've NEVER smelled anything near my house - I've been here almost 8 years. Not a single neighbor complains either.

You DO occasionally smell something when you DRIVE BY the treatment plant (circled in blue), but I don't know if that's the treatment plant or the chicken...

Other than that - no other smells to report.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 105.71 KiB | Viewed 2675 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:53 am 

Deep wrote:
I live a few streets in from that area (Near Gleeson and Philbrook, a couple of streets towards the farm)

I've NEVER smelled anything near my house - I've been here almost 8 years. Not a single neighbor complains either.

You DO occasionally smell something when you DRIVE BY the treatment plant (circled in blue), but I don't know if that's the treatment plant or the chicken...

Other than that - no other smells to report.

I agree...the area in Blue is usually where you smell anything every now and then.

www.LEONVAYMAN.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:55 am 

use common sense if you're thinking of buying around that. You haven't bought yet so theres still time. rsrsrsrsrsrsrs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:32 pm 

Thankyou all for the replies. LeonV, this is not a new house by mattamy, all houses in phase 17 are sold out. The one we are looking at is at Deverell Pl.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:32 pm 

saraM wrote:
Thankyou all for the replies. LeonV, this is not a new house by mattamy, all houses in phase 17 are sold out. The one we are looking at is at Deverell Pl.

Wow ... Phase 17 sold out quick. Thanks for that info and good luck with your move.

www.LEONVAYMAN.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:37 am 

Hi Sara,

My Admin Assistant used to live on Deverell, I have sold houses there. YES she smelled the chicken farm a few times a week - I can PM you her email address if you want an unfiltered opinion :)
The models on Deverell are available in many other spots in town if you are concerned. (And NO I'm not selling one right now that is competing - I have no ulterior motive with this post) :)

THOUGHT: Why don't you go knock on a few doors and ask the neighbours what they think just to be sure -- for most people it is ok, but you DON'T want to regret a big purchase like this.

search for Milton's Favourite Realtor!

REVEL REALTY -- MILTON'S FAVOURITE REAL ESTATE BROKERAGE, as voted by YOU!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:24 am 

I'm curious to know how many people posting comments on this thread actually live in the area. Some of the comments are pretty outrageous and far from the truth. Yes, it does stink sometimes. It's an agricultural operation. But is it "unbearable"? No. Does it smell all the time? No. Do we have to keep our windows closed in the summer? No . Do we entertain outside? Yes. There's nothing wrong with being educated about where you're going to be living. We did it before we purchased. If it's not acceptable to you then you've made an informed decision, but it seems there are a few people on this forum who have nothing better to do than to create drama where there is none.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:54 am 

Freckle_Face wrote:
I'm curious to know how many people posting comments on this thread actually live in the area. Some of the comments are pretty outrageous and far from the truth. Yes, it does stink sometimes. It's an agricultural operation. But is it "unbearable"? No. Does it smell all the time? No. Do we have to keep our windows closed in the summer? No . Do we entertain outside? Yes. There's nothing wrong with being educated about where you're going to be living. We did it before we purchased. If it's not acceptable to you then you've made an informed decision, but it seems there are a few people on this forum who have nothing better to do than to create drama where there is none.

Its great to have input from someone who actually lives in the neighborhood.

It would be terrific if others from the neighborhood provided their input as well, so that other potential homeowners in the area get a true understanding of how that part of the neighborhood is and is not affected by the agricultural operation there.

Im confident that most people would agree that after some investigation that neighborhood is no less desirable than any other neighborhood in Milton.

www.LEONVAYMAN.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:11 am 

I commented and I do live in the area (easterbrook cres) and I have never once had the smell in my area - now - we are a little further away than deverell pl, but it's pretty close.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:17 pm 

I live directly across from this Sargent Farms operation and have no complaints. I actually hope that this farm will remain in business for many more years to come; we don't need another 200 homes in this area contesting our streets. I have been living on Casarin Cres for 6 years and haven't heard of any complaints from our neighbors either. On occasion, a few times a year it may give off a smell. However, this would be no different then smelling manure from the farmers fields a few times a year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:52 am 

I realize this may be too late, but I just found this thread.
I have lived right in this area for almost two years, and have only noticed the chicken barn smell twice while outside.
When others on this forum are complaining about the odours coming from the dump, I have no idea what they are talking about.
I chat with my neighbours occasionally, and odour issues have never been brought up.
You have more to worry about design flaws, shawdy workmanship and sub-par equipment with these homes than you do the occasional odour of chickens.

I would like to add that we feel the neighbourhood is very safe and quiet.