HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:04 pm 

anyone ? join

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:26 am 

Hi there!

My husband and bought a rear lane town...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:40 am 

Hello CAA
when is your closing? are you on framstead close to britianna?
congrats for the new home

CAA wrote:
Hi there!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:55 am 

ss24 wrote:
Hello CAA
when is your closing? are you on framstead close to britianna?
congrats for the new home

CAA wrote:
Hi there!

Thank you. We are closing in December. And yes we are on Farmstead. Did you buy a rear lane town as well?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:23 pm 

yes closing oct 2015

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:38 pm 

ss24 wrote:
yes closing oct 2015

Congratulations to you too! Any other Rear Lane Town owners out there?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:37 pm 

Hey Everyone!
I am thinking of purchasing a Rear Lane if they release more! They only have end units at the moment and I'm interested in the Brantford Model :) Just wondering if anyone has received your design center pricing yet? I'm curious what sort of costs I'd be looking at for upgrades. I'm in a Village Home right now and have upgraded it to the point that I love it! It would be hard to leave if I knew I couldn't afford to do certain upgrades in a new place :)

Also....a VERY IMPORTANT WORD OF ADVICE! The Rear Lane Towns as well as the Village Townhomes are a slab-on-grade for the main floor. This means your tiles or carpet are directly on concrete that is directly on the earth. I'm not sure if Mattamy changed their construction practices....but in my home and a few people I know in older Rear Lanes....the main floor is FREEEEEEEZING. And when I say cold I MEAN COLD! It might be worth it to ask if you can pay to have a subfloor installed over the concrete to decrease some of this cold. It will make that main floor den/office space more usable and most likely lessen your heating costs in the winter.
I know if someone had told me how cold the main floor was before I moved in....I would have forsure invested in a subfloor. Just food for thought :)
Have a great long weekend everyone! And congrats on your new purchases!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:09 am 

kerbear18 wrote:

Also....a VERY IMPORTANT WORD OF ADVICE! The Rear Lane Towns as well as the Village Townhomes are a slab-on-grade for the main floor. This means your tiles or carpet are directly on concrete that is directly on the earth. I'm not sure if Mattamy changed their construction practices....but in my home and a few people I know in older Rear Lanes....the main floor is FREEEEEEEZING. And when I say cold I MEAN COLD! It might be worth it to ask if you can pay to have a subfloor installed over the concrete to decrease some of this cold. It will make that main floor den/office space more usable and most likely lessen your heating costs in the winter.

Many of Mattamy's 3 story homes violate the Ontario Building Code and Tarion rules with regard to inadequate heat. The early ones are the worst and poorly located first floor air-returns contributed to this mess. As I post this right now,,, I can guarantee that there are a number of village towns in Milton with frozen first floor water pipes.

IMO the Hi Velocity and Air Max heating systems also are inadequate and because most of them are incredibly loud people can't really leave the heating system blower on all the time yet this helps move the air around in the home and therefore improving comfort.

But, IMO it's crazy to build any home on a concrete slab without in-floor heat. Add attic insulation shortages and insulation blowing around in attics with the rest of these problems and the result is a cool first floor or worse.

Here is the good news. A few years ago Mattamy started putting electric space heaters on the first floor. This helps but who wants to use expensive electric heat in a so-called "energystar" home.

There is more good news. Mattamy has started to use a better heating system that is doing a better job without you feeling like you are living in a wind tunnel. I was just at a three story main street town on Tight Court and the house was comfortable, but that's not to say they are going to use them in your homes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:31 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
kerbear18 wrote:

Many of Mattamy's 3 story homes violate the Ontario Building Code and Tarion rules with regard to inadequate heat. The early ones are the worst and poorly located first floor air-returns contributed to this mess. As I post this right now,,, I can guarantee that there are a number of village towns in Milton with frozen first floor water pipes.

IMO the Hi Velocity and Air Max heating systems also are inadequate and because most of them are incredibly loud people can't really leave the heating system blower on all the time yet this helps move the air around in the home and therefore improving comfort.

But, IMO it's crazy to build any home on a concrete slab without in-floor heat. Add attic insulation shortages and insulation blowing around in attics with the rest of these problems and the result is a cool first floor or worse.

Here is the good news. A few years ago Mattamy started putting electric space heaters on the first floor. This helps but who wants to use expensive electric heat in a so-called "energystar" home.

There is more good news. Mattamy has started to use a better heating system that is doing a better job without you feeling like you are living in a wind tunnel. I was just at a three story main street town on Tight Court and the house was comfortable, but that's not to say they are going to use them in your homes.

I currently have a village home and was worried about the first floor. I've contacted mattamy many times regarding a few issues with the bathroom, but don't get calls returned or emails answered.

The baseboard heater does a great job keeping the first floor warm. The bathroom is still an issue because of the air vent and the door closed. Cold air easily gets in..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:02 pm 

lylesback2 wrote:

I currently have a village home and was worried about the first floor. I've contacted mattamy many times regarding a few issues with the bathroom, but don't get calls returned or emails answered.

The baseboard heater does a great job keeping the first floor warm. The bathroom is still an issue because of the air vent and the door closed. Cold air easily gets in..

If you are still covered under warranty then there is something you can do and feel free to call me for advice. It's not just the exhaust vent that makes that room cold. It's poor design and inadequate heat. The village home design with the powder room on the first floor is insane. The toilets and powder rooms are freezing cold in the winter. The good news is that I'm sure it's not a home that you will stay in for a very long time. Sell it in the summer.

Isn't it strange that homes are built with code violations.