HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:33 am 

Just as an FYI to everyone - an application has been put in for 4 Warehouse developments / Business Park on the opposite side of James Snow Parkway at Trudeau Drive.

I guess warehouses are considered Green Industry - at the very least I hope these buildings have some architecture to them and not just big concrete blocks for the sides that face James Snow Parkway.

Proposed Plan:
http://www.milton.ca/en/build/resources/Milton_South_Concept_Plan_Jan_9_15.pdf
Detailed Report:
http://www.milton.ca/en/build/resources/15001_Functional_Servicing_Report_-_First_Submission_-_January_2015.pdf
Link to other documents:
http://www.milton.ca/en/Build/DMDerryGreen.asp

Closing August 2014

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:32 am 

They are industrial buildings. Almost guaranteed that they will be big boxes with precast concrete and partial glass curtain walls as the exterior envelope.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:32 am 

sns86, good on you that you are closely watching what is happening around us. With the warehouse development, I would imagine there would lot of truck traffic along James Snow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:22 pm 

Yea I knew eventually something would come up there. I was just hoping they would be backset from the road a little.

I have sent an email to The Local Councillor Robert Duvall to see if there is anyway the public can be involved.

I would hope at the very least some landscaped berms would be installed to hide these eyesores.

Based on the plans the parked trailers would all be visible from James Snow and Waldie which for this area will look terrible.

Quote:
Hello Mr. Duvall,

I have questions regarding the proposed plan for the east side of james snow at Trudeau Drive for 4 warehouse developments (file 24T-15001/M). I personally would rather these buildings not be built near residential/ parks. However, if there is any way the public can have their say on the matter I was wondering if you can let me know how I can participate.

I am afraid that this development will be quite an eyesore to the residents in that area including myself. I am interested to know if there are plans for berms along the east side of James Snow for this development to hide these unpleasant structures. I think it will make residents happier not to have a clear sight of a large number of trailers and trucks which will be housed on this property.

Any information will be appreciated.

Closing August 2014

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:37 pm 

sns86, you are great as you are representing all of us in this phase!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:20 pm 

there goes my dream of having a costco across the road

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:50 am 

The will probably look like big concrete boxes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:22 pm 

Got a response from our councillor. Public Meeting will be held to hear all comments / questions. I will try to stay on top of it and post here the date and time of I can.

Quote:
Hello ***, The Derry Green Corporate Business Park Secondary Plan and the associated urban design guidelines identify the need for a well-designed interface between Bristol and Derry Green particularly along the James Snow Parkway frontage. Through the subdivision review process, staff will emphasize the need for upgraded treatment which can be achieved through a combination of building design and orientation, placement and landscaping.

Staff will be scheduling a public meeting for the Orlando subdivision over the next couple of months and encourage residents to either attend the public meeting or provide written comments (e-mail is fine) identifying concerns such as you have outlined below. Questions and comments can also be directed to staff at any time but I would be glad to help in any way with questions or concerns. I will also be posting information on my website at www.robert-duvall.ca and have a newsletter as well that you can opt into.

Robert Duvall
Councillor Ward 1

Closing August 2014

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:11 pm 

Robert Duvall is a ward councillor? That's awesome! He was bad ass in Colors.

These buildings are going to be pretty hard to hide. No amount of berms, landscaping, or architecture is going to hide 1M+ sqft of industrial concrete, not to mention the truck traffic. This is my business, and I know I wouldn't be so optimistic. Keep the pressure on though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:03 pm 

Burrcold,

just do not know the meaning.

Can you please explain what is "bad ass in Colors"?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:08 pm 

Carl wrote:
Burrcold,

just do not know the meaning.

Can you please explain what is "bad ass in Colors"?

It was a joke. Robert Duvall is also the name of an actor (the movie "Colors" was one of his roles).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:18 pm 

What kind of warehouse buildings are proposed ? I can't picture what it would like seeing trucks moving back an forth close to residential area.

Can we all in phase 3 write a petition or go to the meeting when it happens ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:22 pm 

Aaa wrote:
What kind of warehouse buildings are proposed ? I can't picture what it would like seeing trucks moving back an forth close to residential area.

Could be manufacturing, distribution, logistics...doesn't matter much though, industrial is industrial. Lots of trucks, lots of activity. It's going to be a busy area for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:23 pm 

if its Costco and Ikea moving into them they have my vote

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:27 pm 

Burrcold wrote:
Aaa wrote:

Could be manufacturing, distribution, logistics...doesn't matter much though, industrial is industrial. Lots of trucks, lots of activity. It's going to be a busy area for sure.

I agree - hopefully our voices and concerns are heard and the city of Milton will do something about it.