HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:45 pm 

Aaa wrote:
Burrcold wrote:
Aaa wrote:
What kind of warehouse buildings are proposed ? I can't picture what it would like seeing trucks moving back an forth close to residential area.

Can we all in phase 3 write a petition or go to the meeting when it happens ?

Could be manufacturing, distribution, logistics...doesn't matter much though, industrial is industrial. Lots of trucks, lots of activity. It's going to be a busy area for sure.

I agree - hopefully our voices and concerns are heard and the city of Milton will do something about it.

Again I'm on the development side of things (industrial in Milton as well) and it will be a HARD fight for this not to happen. Remember the land has been purchased, zoning established, palms greased, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:57 pm 

Yea, I understand it will happen. Just hoping to lessen the eyesore. Traffic will be another issue...but James Snow is slated to go to 6 lanes in the future so it was always designated to be a busy road.

Closing August 2014

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:56 pm 

Damn, I remember the houses on this area were sold for $10K more than the west side at Bronte. Now there's a big eyesore with Truck traffic across the street. This really sucks for the residents in the area.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:47 pm 

not 10k and i think it was 20k more expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:56 pm 

Hi SnS86,

Thanks for letting us know about this update.
I'll be sure to keep tabs on the Derry Green & Clarke development maps (http://www.milton.ca/en/build/resources ... oodMap.pdf)

I'll also check in with Robert Duvall letting him know that nearby residents are curious about the forthcoming planning process about this chunk of the James Snow corridor.

I have no qualms about the Derry Green area being developed as originally planned (the general plan has been in existence for a good number of years) but I do share your concerns about the potential "eyesore" nature of this development as proposed.
- I'm not so sure this design is up-to-spec with required design guidelines for the area

Are you aware if this is the most up-to-date document regarding the urban design guidelines for the Derry Green area?
Section 1 and 2
https://www.milton.ca/en/build/resource ... on_1_2.pdf
Section 3
https://www.milton.ca/en/build/resource ... tion_3.pdf

If it is, it does appear to specify 10s of meters along the James Snow Corridor as a Street Oriented Area - see pages 9 and 12 of their Section 1 and 2 document (pages 15 and 18 of the .pdf).

Also in the Section 1 and 2 document they state:
- Sites in Street-Oriented Areas should be developed with a continuous frontage of buildings along the front property line.
- By locating surface parking at the rear or sides of buildings and limiting the percentage of frontage that can be allocated to parking, a continuous street edge can be developed."

In the Section 3 document they state:
- In order to foster a pedestrian-friendly environment within the Derry Green Corporate Business Park, buildings should frame the public realm through minimal distances between the front building façade and front property line
- Buildings and main entrances must front onto the public street to encourage a pedestrian orientated streetscape and maximize public surveillance of the street. Buildings fronting onto two or more public streets must provide entrances on each façade.
- Buildings should face the public street and apply the highest design standards to primary building façades
- Buildings must occupy a minimum 60% of the total lot frontage.
- Buildings facing James Snow Parkway, Derry Road and Main Street in particular, should apply a level of design that reinforces the role of these streets as gateways to the Derry Green Business Park Area and the community
- Minimum building heights are as follows:
Business Park - Street Oriented Areas: Two storeys along James Snow Parkway and Derry Road are encouraged
- Blank façades that extend the entire length of the building parallel to a public street are not permitted. Building façades should include the following elements:
Windows; Awnings and canopies; Outdoor terraces and patios; Projections and recesses; and, Architectural details and change of materials.
- In general, large areas of surface parking are discouraged. Where they are required, they should not dominate the streetscape and be designed to be visually unobtrusive.
- Parking between the primary building façade and the public street is discouraged (except for on-street parallel parking). Rear-yard, side-yard and structured parking are alternatives.
- Large areas of unbroken parking must be avoided...

Based on the guidance of those urban design guidelines I definitely have some questions about the direction of this development as it currently stands.

SnS86 wrote:
Yea, I understand it will happen. Just hoping to lessen the eyesore. Traffic will be another issue...but James Snow is slated to go to 6 lanes in the future so it was always designated to be a busy road.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:44 pm 

Akravator wrote:
Hi SnS86,

Thanks for letting us know about this update.
I'll be sure to keep tabs on the Derry Green & Clarke development maps (http://www.milton.ca/en/build/resources ... oodMap.pdf)

I'll also check in with Robert Duvall letting him know that nearby residents are curious about the forthcoming planning process about this chunk of the James Snow corridor.

I have no qualms about the Derry Green area being developed as originally planned (the general plan has been in existence for a good number of years) but I do share your concerns about the potential "eyesore" nature of this development as proposed.
- I'm not so sure this design is up-to-spec with required design guidelines for the area

Are you aware if this is the most up-to-date document regarding the urban design guidelines for the Derry Green area?
Section 1 and 2
https://www.milton.ca/en/build/resource ... on_1_2.pdf
Section 3
https://www.milton.ca/en/build/resource ... tion_3.pdf

If it is, it does appear to specify 10s of meters along the James Snow Corridor as a Street Oriented Area - see pages 9 and 12 of their Section 1 and 2 document (pages 15 and 18 of the .pdf).

Also in the Section 1 and 2 document they state:
- Sites in Street-Oriented Areas should be developed with a continuous frontage of buildings along the front property line.
- By locating surface parking at the rear or sides of buildings and limiting the percentage of frontage that can be allocated to parking, a continuous street edge can be developed."

In the Section 3 document they state:
- In order to foster a pedestrian-friendly environment within the Derry Green Corporate Business Park, buildings should frame the public realm through minimal distances between the front building façade and front property line
- Buildings and main entrances must front onto the public street to encourage a pedestrian orientated streetscape and maximize public surveillance of the street. Buildings fronting onto two or more public streets must provide entrances on each façade.
- Buildings should face the public street and apply the highest design standards to primary building façades
- Buildings must occupy a minimum 60% of the total lot frontage.
- Buildings facing James Snow Parkway, Derry Road and Main Street in particular, should apply a level of design that reinforces the role of these streets as gateways to the Derry Green Business Park Area and the community
- Minimum building heights are as follows:
Business Park - Street Oriented Areas: Two storeys along James Snow Parkway and Derry Road are encouraged
- Blank façades that extend the entire length of the building parallel to a public street are not permitted. Building façades should include the following elements:
Windows; Awnings and canopies; Outdoor terraces and patios; Projections and recesses; and, Architectural details and change of materials.

- In general, large areas of surface parking are discouraged. Where they are required, they should not dominate the streetscape and be designed to be visually unobtrusive.
- Parking between the primary building façade and the public street is discouraged (except for on-street parallel parking). Rear-yard, side-yard and structured parking are alternatives.
- Large areas of unbroken parking must be avoided...

Based on the guidance of those urban design guidelines I definitely have some questions about the direction of this development as it currently stands.

SnS86 wrote:

The part I bolded is basically standard verbiage for most industrial that forward faces either major arteries or residential.

Here is an example (design concept) that would depict all of the requirements as noted above:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:58 pm 

Burrcold wrote:

I guess it's not so bad of an eyesore if you have a Mercedes SL500, a Hummer and a Tahoe Limo on the parking lot across from you. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:04 pm 

rrknight wrote:
Burrcold wrote:

I guess it's not so bad of an eyesore if you have a Mercedes SL500, a Hummer and a Tahoe Limo on the parking lot across from you. :lol:

You've got good eyes! lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:25 pm 

looks alot like the ones on james snow and regional road 25 - had a drive around there the other weekend lots of misc white buildings including amazon distribution centre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:28 pm 

Another thing we could probably go for is night time noise from the trucks due to residential

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:28 pm 

Very thorough Akravator. I was unaware of the guidelines but that does give me a little hope. But as you mentioned the current proposal does not seem to reflect this.

Thanks for the information. Also thanks Burrcold for the depiction.

Closing August 2014

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:55 pm 

SpookyLady wrote:
if its Costco and Ikea moving into them they have my vote

that is commercial.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:18 pm 

I am hoping they will design it to hide the industrial buildings using burms, fences and trees to almost mimic a residential establishment on the other side. In Brampton they did something for the Vankirk industrial at Sandalwood Dr.

Closing August 2014

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:45 am 

What is the latest on this ? I saw machinery today at this location and it seems like they are starting construction.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:21 pm 

Public Meeting to discuss the Orlando Corp application for this development will be held on Dec 14th at 7pm.

Town Hall-Council Chambers-150 Mary St., Milton, ON., L9T 6Z5

Closing August 2014