HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Phase 6 - Leger Way
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:58 pm 

McHammer wrote:
HanselMugatu wrote:
They said "This is due to some trade shortages we are experiencing on site at this time."

Sounds like bad planning to me.

So is the new closing date a firm closing date?

Unfortunately I can tell you for sure this is a legitimate problem across all new home builders right now. These conditions are really almost unprecedented. There has never been a hotter market of demand, all new home builders are selling out fast and competing for the same and diminishing trade base, of which less and less skilled labour is actually entering the workforce. There are certain trades that you simply can't move on to the next stage of the building process until their work is done (I.e. There is a stair supplier/installer shortage and without it trades can't work on the second floor of homes; there is a masonry shortage, there have been major framing and drywall crew shortages) and because there is so much work available the traditional long standing relationships are being tested.

On top of it municipalities are harder to build in then ever before - much of it to do with provincial government changes trickling down; this starts the process off not so great with land delays on the site plan approvals and registrations.

I work in the industry in human resources and see the challenges that all functional areas are faced with. Believe me, every builder wants to build your home as efficiently and quickly as possible because that's their big revenue stream - much more than just your deposit. Mattamy has decades of experience in production planning but all builders are faced with these issues. I have a sibling that's Greenpark home was delayed in Aurora for 5 months due to trade issues; my Phase 9 HSV lot has been delayed from May 1 to Aug 16 mostly due to land registration delays but I worry the trade issue will delay it more.

Hope this helps shed some honest light on the issues.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:57 am 

So are they not aware of these issues when they give you your original closing date?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:23 pm 

HanselMugatu wrote:
So are they not aware of these issues when they give you your original closing date?

For our case, our original closing date was given to us back in November 17, 2015, more than a year gap to the original closing of April 18, 2017. A lot of things could happen. Back then, there was a different issue. The strike and CBA of Trades were just finished (or just starting). Some home owners were delayed around 12 months with that strike.

Last January 16, 2017, we got a notice that our new closing date is May 18, 2017.

Delayed Closing date April 18, 2017
Moved in date May 18, 2017

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:36 pm 

HanselMugatu wrote:

To answer honestly no; this market and difficult municipal challenges right now are shattering all the old play books that production schedules and land planning schedules were based off of for decades. There are also unexpected things that tend to come up but 'planning' is generally based on normal expectations. They know from experience how long it generally takes to get site plan approval and land registration; they know from experience how many days it take to build various types of homes.

Builders are all trying to work through creative solutions to still meet their closing commitments, but for example when your trade just stops showing up to site one day and trades won't return calls for the oppprtunity to work the site, or you have something unexpected happen with the weather (for example foundations can't be poured when it's raining and other weather can cause missed production days too)... there are many variables that aren't all predictable. Mattamy has a particularly strong trade base that has traditionally afforded them a fairly predictable production schedule; this year and last.... I don't know of a builder in the GTA who isn't struggling to line trades up....

On the land side it can be an unexpected environmental issue (ie there was one case where a rare bird laid a nest of eggs on lands we were about to start building on and the enviro protection agency stepped in and forced a multi-month delay until the bird flew the coop!), it can be an issue of differences of what the town or region Wants and what the builder/ developer is willing to do) .

New home building has often been fraught with delays; I just think it's worse right now.

My first Mattamy home in 2006 closed on time, my second house a Tiffany Park closed in 2008 without delays. This will be my first new build with delays.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:01 am 

Have most people on Leger been to Mattamy University already? Anything interesting come of it? I just emailed Whitney to ask when we can expect an invite and she thinks we should be going for a closing in July in April. I can't wait! lol!

Firm Closing Date: September 14, 2017

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:54 pm 

Truthfully I didn't take much from it, I probably wouldn't go again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:12 pm 

lalexa wrote:
Have most people on Leger been to Mattamy University already? Anything interesting come of it? I just emailed Whitney to ask when we can expect an invite and she thinks we should be going for a closing in July in April. I can't wait! lol!

We're first-time home buyers and I don't know anyone who has recent experience with pre-cons, so I thought it was interesting to learn about the whole process up until closing day.

We also got to find out where the 'street furniture' is on/around our lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:28 pm 

treblave wrote:
lalexa wrote:

We're first-time home buyers and I don't know anyone who has recent experience with pre-cons, so I thought it was interesting to learn about the whole process up until closing day.

We also got to find out where the 'street furniture' is on/around our lot.

Interesting, I hope I don't have any 'street furniture' on my lot. LOL I was hoping to meet neigbours, but sounds like most of the people living on this street have already been.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:52 pm 

lalexa wrote:
Interesting, I hope I don't have any 'street furniture' on my lot. LOL I was hoping to meet neigbours, but sounds like most of the people living on this street have already been.

Is your lot located south of the new Catholic school? I met someone at our Mattamy University
that is backing the new Catholic School. I'm not sure if you already know but at Mattamy
University you could ask if there are some street furniture on your lot.

Ours is a utility on the side and 2 trees.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:37 pm 

pong35 wrote:
lalexa wrote:

Is your lot located south of the new Catholic school? I met someone at our Mattamy University
that is backing the new Catholic School. I'm not sure if you already know but at Mattamy
University you could ask if there are some street furniture on your lot.

Ours is a utility on the side and 2 trees.

We're located btw Locker and McEachern. Us and the lot beside us are closing Jul 12 and 13, but all the other ones are May 2, May 3.. etc., (I have the sheet with all the closings from the day we bought lol) so they were probably in your Mattamy U session. After hearing about the delays, I wish we chose lot 199, which is next to ours, closing May 2 lol Then also we probably wouldn't have a mirror image or a blue house! :shock: lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:19 am 

Finally, someone got a firm date....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/855798727774660/

" firm now April 18th (delayed from March 23)" @ Hinton Terrace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:29 am 

I know few people who have got firm closing in March on Leger Way. The ones close to Chilver Heights.

Cell: 647-787-0000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:38 am 

pong35 wrote:

YAY! Congrats!
I'm also on Hinton Terrace. What lot are you?

HSV / Phase 6
Hawkesbury / English Manor
Closing August 2017

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:50 pm 

k_moreira2017 wrote:
pong35 wrote:

YAY! Congrats!

Hi K_moreira2017, its not me, its "Devina Wijaya Gani", user name from Hawthorne South Village Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/855798727774660/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:16 pm 

pong35 wrote:
k_moreira2017 wrote:
pong35 wrote:

YAY! Congrats!

Hi K_moreira2017, its not me, its "Devina Wijaya Gani", user name from Hawthorne South Village Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/855798727774660/

Sorry about that :oops:

HSV / Phase 6
Hawkesbury / English Manor
Closing August 2017

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next