HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:25 am 

:arrow: The question is simple - :?: Were you told by any builder that your furnace warranty would be voided unless you buy the overpriced AC from the builder. If so, then this is not true.

Your furnace is covered for 2 years provided that a licensed HVAC company installs your AC and in that process does not damage the furnace in any way.

Many builders and HVAC installers that work for builders like to perpetuate a myth that you do lose your furnace warranty as soon as someone other than the builder installs your AC. Like I said, this is a myth UNLESS you agreed to that in your purchase agreement.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:05 pm 

Good to know.. I'll have to check my purchase agreement. I did ask at the time of signing if I void any warranty on the house if I install my own AC, she said no. Should have gotten that in writing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:11 pm 

lylesback2 wrote:
Good to know.. I'll have to check my purchase agreement. I did ask at the time of signing if I void any warranty on the house if I install my own AC, she said no. Should have gotten that in writing.

I'm happy to hear that she responded appropriately at that time BUT some of my clients around Farmstead and Britannia were told that their furnace warranty from the builder was voided should some other company install the AC. This misinformation has been perpetuated for a very long time by many builders in Ontario.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:57 pm 

Can you folks recommend an AC seller/installer. I feel like Mattamy is charging way too much ($3700 for wood stock model).
Thank you,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:22 pm 

I had Mason from Nissan Air come and install my gas line yesterday for my stove. After seeing is professional work, I am also going with him for the air conditioner install as well. His pricing is very reasonable. Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:22 pm 

+1000 for mason!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:55 pm 

funnyman82 wrote:
I had Mason from Nissan Air come and install my gas line yesterday for my stove. After seeing is professional work, I am also going with him for the air conditioner install as well. His pricing is very reasonable. Hope it helps.

Thank you, i'll get in touch with him.

We were told my design center ladies that we'll need we'll need 1 1/4" line if we have more than 3 appliances. Is this necessary? Also mattamy is charging $529 (for increasing to 1/14" line) + $350 (extra connection).

My assumption was that they included the connection for gas fireplace as we paid $4.5K or so extra for a fireplace.

Can anyone please clarify this and what exactly is included from Mattamy? We have the Grande kitchen option.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:54 pm 

funnyman82 wrote:

Hi funnyman82:

We have booked in Orr Terrace-Phase 2. We have ordered gas stove. Our closing is in April. We are looking for someone to connect gas line to stove. Could you please send that person's contact details. apart from that, do you know anyone who can connect dish washer.

Thanks
Hemran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:21 pm 

Sorry for the delayed reply, Mason at Nissan Air can be reached at 416-200-1971

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:59 am 

vannar14 wrote:
funnyman82 wrote:

Thank you, i'll get in touch with him.

We were told my design center ladies that we'll need we'll need 1 1/4" line if we have more than 3 appliances. Is this necessary? Also mattamy is charging $529 (for increasing to 1/14" line) + $350 (extra connection).

My assumption was that they included the connection for gas fireplace as we paid $4.5K or so extra for a fireplace.

Can anyone please clarify this and what exactly is included from Mattamy? We have the Grande kitchen option.

Thanks again.

The standard gas line from the gas meter to the furnace is 3/4". If you plan to go with a Gas stove and Fire place then you have to upgrade to 1" line from the meter into your house. the $350 charge is the extra line fed up for that appliance. If another Gas outlet is added in patio area or you want a Gas dryer, then 1 1/4" line size is required. Connection to Fire place will be included.
How many gas appliances are you planning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:18 pm 

I am still hearing that some Mattamy workers / reps are telling some new home buyers off Britannia Road that their furnace warranty is voided when someone other than Mattamy installs the Air Conditioner. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Your furnace is covered under warranty for two full years regardless of who installs the AC provided that 1) the company installing the AC is a licensed HVAC company and 2) that the installation of the AC does not damage the furnace.

Most new home buyers have a sticker on the plenum of the furnace that also has misleading warranty information.

This can all be confirmed by Tarion.

One day this deception will end.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:28 am 

Bumped for the heck of it.

Very unfortunate that I am still hearing from SOME new home owners that they were told by Mattamy reps that their furnace warranty is voided if they get someone else in to install their AC unit.

Tarion's Director of Builders Relations has told me that he has talked to this builder many times and told them to stop perpetuating this false myth.

In fact, in most of the new homes in the newest phases there is still a white sticker being placed near the furnace that says -

"This warranty IS void if equipment is altered, added to, or serviced by anyone other than #### Mechanical or it's authorized agents."

This sticker is incorrect.

As long as an new homes AC unit is installed by a licensed HVAC company and as long as the AC installation does not damage the furnace then the furnace warranty from the builder is 2 years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:41 pm 

This is what i found at my new upcoming house.
When called Applewood .They said because the other company has to touch the furnace and install the coil it MAY again MAY void the warranty.
When asked if we provide a new AC same as you are offering will you install it the answer is NO ( they don't want to lose 30+% profit they are making over these units )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:47 pm 

"May" void and "will" void or "is" void are very different claims and this is the key difference with these stickers.

Yes, the installation of an AC by a third party could void the furnace warranty but only if the company who installs the AC is 1) not a licensed HVAC company or 2) if the furnace is damaged as a result of the installation of the AC.

Applewood has obviously got their act together and has put an appropriately worded sticker on your furnace, BUT in recent months and weeks a number of customers even in the newest homes have told me that Mattamy told them, sometimes multiple times, that their furnace warranty would be voided if a third party contractor installs their AC unit.

AS WELL, many of the newest homes, including the home where I did a 30 day inspection today still have the wrong stickers from another HVAC company that installs furnaces for Mattamy.

BELOW - is a portion of a white sticker that is still being placed on the plenums of furnaces in many Mattamy homes. The statement that the warranty "IS VOID" is not correct and is very misleading.

Attachments:
ALMA 004.jpg
ALMA 004.jpg [ 41.53 KiB | Viewed 5064 times ]