HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Strike
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:50 pm 

Anyone get an email about an industry strike and the delay in home closings? Anyone have further info?

Post subject: Re: Strike
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:17 pm 

Email for people who didn't get it:
Quote:
Mattamy Homes has become aware of a trade strike action currently occurring across the homebuilding industry and we are monitoring the situation very closely. While the circumstances are not ideal, and we are disappointed that the situation has escalated to the point of a trade strike action, we respect the rights of the collective bargaining process that has given rise to this situation.
Mattamy Homes is not directly involved with the process and is receiving knowledge that becomes public just as local media and other industry leaders are. That being said, we are hopeful that the parties can come to a quick resolution.
Unfortunately, the trade strike action does have the potential to affect our homebuyers as it may cause unavoidable delays of closings for some of our purchasers; we will be communicating directly with those whose closings may be affected in the days and weeks to come regarding revised timelines, if required.
For homeowners that have already moved into our communities where there is strike action, there is an expectation that any disruption will be minimal but may still be present.
The information presented in this letter is based on our current knowledge of the situation at this time. When more information becomes available, we will continue to update you.
Sincerely,

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:34 pm 

lylesback2 wrote:
Quote:
Mattamy Homes has become aware of a trade strike action currently occurring across the homebuilding industry and we are monitoring the situation very closely. While the circumstances are not ideal, and we are disappointed that the situation has escalated to the point of a trade strike action, we respect the rights of the collective bargaining process that has given rise to this situation.
Mattamy Homes is not directly involved with the process and is receiving knowledge that becomes public just as local media and other industry leaders are. That being said, we are hopeful that the parties can come to a quick resolution.
Unfortunately, the trade strike action does have the potential to affect our homebuyers as it may cause unavoidable delays of closings for some of our purchasers; we will be communicating directly with those whose closings may be affected in the days and weeks to come regarding revised timelines, if required.
For homeowners that have already moved into our communities where there is strike action, there is an expectation that any disruption will be minimal but may still be present.
The information presented in this letter is based on our current knowledge of the situation at this time. When more information becomes available, we will continue to update you.
Sincerely,

Well we had a fire on the construction site that destroyed 2 or 3 houses the exact same day as the strike...

This is the Union that's on strike, some interesting comments from workers: https://www.facebook.com/liuna183/photo ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:40 pm 

http://www.liunalocal183.ca/

Both the Marble, Tile and Terrazzo Sector and the Residential Framing Sector are ON STRIKE!

Current closing May 2017

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:29 pm 

My closing date is next week, if I got delayed due to this strike is Mattamy liable for any delay penalties?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:02 pm 

McHammer wrote:
http://www.liunalocal183.ca/

Both the Marble, Tile and Terrazzo Sector and the Residential Framing Sector are ON STRIKE!

Not just those sectors, but also the Drywall trades and Tapers (drywall finishers) and Painters. The Painters and Tapers are the same union local. The strike was avoided in the commercial sector, but unfortunately residential sector were unable to come to a resolution. I'm pretty sure they have it in their agreement they are only allowed to strike for I believe 45 days before being forced back to work.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:24 pm 

eeninety wrote:
lylesback2 wrote:
Quote:
Sincerely,

Well we had a fire on the construction site that destroyed 2 or 3 houses the exact same day as the strike...

This is the Union that's on strike, some interesting comments from workers: https://www.facebook.com/liuna183/photo ... =3&theater

Some of those comments are pretty bleek and make me worry about the quality of work being done, some of these guys seem pretty disgruntled... Not saying they do or don't deserve more, just an observation as an outsider reading those comments.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:15 am 

Is Mattamy Homes able to hire private contractors to finish the job if this strike drags on? They are saying it could go on for six weeks or more. What if the Union and workers are still not satisfied? I hope they (Mattamy) use this experience to ensure they have a back up in the future.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:31 am 

mazaruni wrote:
Is Mattamy Homes able to hire private contractors to finish the job if this strike drags on? They are saying it could go on for six weeks or more. What if the Union and workers are still not satisfied? I hope they (Mattamy) use this experience to ensure they have a back up in the future.

You've made 3 comments since you joined and they've all been about the strike sympathizing with the workers.. give it up dude... go play your games somewhere else or make it a little less obvious... "oh no this is terrible.. I hope Mattamy learns their lesson!!!"

Mattamy is not affected by this strike AT ALL.. they will wait the legally required 6 weeks, they'll then pay you half the agreed upon amount in arbitration and then push you like slaves to make up the time.

Hope missing out on 6 weeks pay was worth it.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:33 am 

Don't assume you know anything about me. Not everyone likes commenting. The delay affects me that is why I commented. I am not one to hate on people for their choices.

Also I am a unionized worker too so I can relate to wanting more.

If Mattamy is not affected why aren't they hiring other people to do the job. This is my 3rd delay. I see houses in phase 2 finishing before phase 1. Just don't get it. I am losing money daily because I was only told about the second delay mid April. My closing was mid May. It was when I asked about the framewalk I was told about the delay.

But... The same six weeks pay they are missing out on will be part of the increase that will be accepted. So it will be their own money, if worked, they will get back in the agreement. Unfortunately they still won't win.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:14 pm 

Residential Framing Bargaining Breakthrough

Local 183 has returned to the bargaining table with the Framing contractors.

The Bargaining Committee will be recommending a settlement to the members for ratification.

A vote will take place on May 24th, 2016 at 7:00AM at the Toronto Congress Centre, North Building

I HOPE THEY ACCEPT IT.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:32 pm 

Marble, Tile, & Terrazzo Bargaining Break Through
5/17/2016 11:18:25 AM

Local 183 has returned to the bargaining table with the Tile contractors.

The Bargaining Committee will be recommending a settlement to the members for ratification.

A vote will take place on May 20th, 2016 at 7:00AM at the Gerry Gallagher Hall located at 1263 Wilson Avenue, Toronto ON. M3M 3G3

In order to attend the meeting you MUST have your due's up to date, bring a valid piece of photo ID, and have your Union Membership and/or SIN Card present.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:12 am 

Strike continues :evil: a

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:08 pm 

Electricians are on strike now too, from what i've heard.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:09 am 

looks like the framers are back to work

Current closing May 2017