HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Delayed Closings
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:31 pm 

From what I see on this forum it looks like the vast majority of closings have been delayed for almost all Mattamy phases. Has anyone actually received there home on the original closing date? Is anyone aware of the percentage of homes that actual close on time? (probably wishful thinking for that kind of info).

Post subject: Re: Delayed Closings
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:44 pm 

Our house was closed on original closing date, same as some other houses on our street (Phase 2, Orr terrace).

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:53 pm 

Not sure what all the reasons for the delays are lately.. We had a realtor over in the winter and he mentioned issues with permits with the ravine lots or something, but he thought that was cleared up, but there's also a lot of talk about the worker strike going on affecting closings.
We bought our townhome Jan 2014 and closed on time July 2014. It was a quick 7 month turn around and there were minimal issues at the PDI. Hoping to have a similar experience with the new house! Crazy to think our first home closed in 7 months and our second was a 2 year closing! Haven't heard anything about delays for us yet, but we're not expecting construction to even START on our house for another year. Hoping all the issues will be resolved by then.

Firm Closing Date: September 14, 2017

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:18 pm 

An email was sent out by customer service regarding a strike and to expect delays. This is outside of Mattamy's hands really as it is all Union based...

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:01 pm 

CANADA
May 4, 2016 8:51 am
Strike by skilled-trade workers to cause delays for GTA construction projects

WATCH: Thousands of carpenters and drywallers on strike after union negotiations broke down on the weekend. Cindy Pom has the story.
Thousands of skilled-trade workers in Ontario are on strike this week causing commercial and residential construction project delays across the Greater Toronto Area.

LIUNA Local 183, which represents 5,000 workers in the framing sector, said talks fell apart this weekend which forced a strike on Monday.

A tentative deal was reached prior to the strike date but was subsequently voted down during ratification.
“We negotiated the best deal that we could. We had an obligation to come to take the final offer. We came to ratification and they turned down the deal,” said LiUNA Local 183 Vice-President Bernardino Ferreira.

Union leaders say wages are the major sticking points as members feel they are not getting paid enough due to the complexity of construction projects nowadays.

The group in negotiations with the workers’ union said it hopes both sides can get back to the bargaining table.

“The Association and our members hope the Union will reconsider its position, given the importance of this Agreement to all parties, as well as members of the public impacted by this strike,” said the Residential Framing Contractor’s Association in an email.

The residential division of Drywall Acoustic Lathing and Insulation Local 675, which represents 2,000 drywall installers, says modern homes are now being built with new materials and technologies that requires additional levels of skills and training.

“It is essential that our compensation reflect both the increased difficulty of the work we are doing, as well as the training we need to get the job done safely and correctly,” said Tony Iannuzzi, President of Local 675.

© 2016 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:22 am 

Hopefully the strike doesn't affect us as we close Feb 2017, still a long way to go.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:43 am 

We closed on time and on our first closing date. Phase 2 for the most part was on or close (not including ravine lots of course). But this strike is not good news for those who still need drywall. There are still workers here, they were setting up my curbs yesterday. And that guy who bangs the garbage bins at 7 am never seems no miss a day of work. If people start to picket here that might change. Most workers are unionized and will respect the picket lines and not cross. Then it will really slow things down.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:36 am 

We got the delay notice yesterday, its so upsetting, our closing was on May,19th. We already sold our house, they do not have any date yet, I am hoping its going to resolve soon.
Otherwise, it will be such a mess for us. Please share any info you have, anytime you hear something.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:02 pm 

one more of my customers who close may 25th just informed me they are delayed!!

Connaught Terrace

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:40 am 

I am in phase 1 and was suppose to close May 26. Got the disappointing news of the delay. This is the 3rd delay for us. My situation is very distressing but God is good. I have to look at this mess and think there is a message in it somehow. :)

I can't be mad at the trade workers. Everything is going up in price except salaries.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:51 am 

mazaruni wrote:
I am in phase 1 and was suppose to close May 26. Got the disappointing news of the delay. This is the 3rd delay for us. My situation is very distressing but God is good. I have to look at this mess and think there is a message in it somehow. :)

I can't be mad at the trade workers. Everything is going up in price except salaries.

I like your post history. Not fishy at alllllll.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:24 am 

Always one of those... What is fishy about my post? Maybe if I spew hate it would be good? I am not happy about the situation. It has put me further into a mess. But what can I do?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:18 pm 

Strike ends Jun 15

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:21 pm 

Does anyone know how long can the builder delay your home for after the strike? My closing was supposed to be May 26th. I read somewhere they can only delay for 45 days after strike depending on your firm closing before the strike.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:42 am 

They can delay your home as long as they want.. but will have to compensate you if they push it past the timeline of the unavoidable delay. What that means is since the strike lasted the full 45 days, they can delay you for an ADDITIONAL 45 days WITHOUT compensation to catch up on the work. After 45 days, you can still be delayed but they would have to start compensating you at that point.

Basically you can be delayed until August of this year without compensation depending on how finished your home is already.