HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:52 pm 

Or, still unsure?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:16 am 

I know who I am voting for Mayor, Regional Chair, Regional Rep., and School Trustee. I am still unsure of the local candidate for ward 6.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:32 am 

mmomma wrote:
I know who I am voting for Mayor, Regional Chair, Regional Rep., and School Trustee. I am still unsure of the local candidate for ward 6.

I just voted for Alex Anabusi in Ward 6, & am confident in him :) Alex has been VERY engaged with people & involved from the beginning of the year. None of the other candidates really involved themselves as much as he did. Pollard just moved to Milton, Ali and Abrar I have never seen at any of the events this year, and Kelly I have never met nor seen his brochure. In the end, it's your vote. I did my research on all the candidates before deciding on Alex, simply because I want someone who can connect with us.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:00 am 

I have heard a lot of good things about Alex, but I am still unsure. I got one of his flyers at our home, without him knocking on our door to talk to us. Abrar has come to our house twice, and has even sent a PM, regarding this post, which none of the other candidates have done (although, I don't know how many are on Hawthorne Villager). I don't know anything about Kelly as he does not have a website, nor have I seen any pamphlets. Do any of the candidates actually live in Ward 6?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:51 am 

mmomma wrote:
I have heard a lot of good things about Alex, but I am still unsure. I got one of his flyers at our home, without him knocking on our door to talk to us. Abrar has come to our house twice, and has even sent a PM, regarding this post, which none of the other candidates have done (although, I don't know how many are on Hawthorne Villager). I don't know anything about Kelly as he does not have a website, nor have I seen any pamphlets. Do any of the candidates actually live in Ward 6?

In my opinion I would rather vote for someone who will do the job instead of where they live. The local candidate in Ward 6 is moving up to Regional which left a void (meaning no incumbent). It makes sense that anyone in the community looking to run would look to make Ward 6 home since they don't have to get into a battle with an incumbent who has much more exposure and an easier ride to re-election than a new up and comer.

I voted last Tuesday in the early voting. I did my research and for me Alex was the guy. He has clearly demostrated his committment to the role and responsibilities of the job and not just how well he knocks on doors (even though he stopped at my house twice and I missed him both times). I see A LOT of Abrar sings in my neighbourhood but I see more of a commitment to the job by looking at Alex's website video logs, etc... In addition I found most candidates served up platitutes on issues. For intance look at most of the platforms and you will see one word: TRANSIT. Great, what about it. Alex is looking at finding efficiencies in transit (which is realistic) and spells it out on his website instead of just one word. You mentioned a candidate met you at the door twice and even PM'd you which is great feedback. If you want to continue to assess candidates run a search on the Villager for Anabusi and you will see him all over issues which is also great. I registered to post in this website immediately after finding his posts on here and I ordered a lawn sign the next day.

I didn't intend for this to be an advert for Alex but I wanted to relay how I used my research and experience looking at the candidates at how I came to decide on the candidate(s) for me.

Either way, I am glad that this website as well as twitter allowed me to research our candidates. In the old days all we had were some newspaper articles and a chance meeting at the door. Nowadays I can follow each of the candidates(those that have engaged the digital age anyway) and interact with them in a postive way that allows me to find out who to vote for. It's too bad only 35% of Miltonians will vote anyway, even with all of the tools available to assess candidates.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:25 pm 

I like Kashif, but I'm concerned that he would PM you as opposed to a public post.
I know this place is a trollfest at times and it's disuaded a number of councillors from posting but a big part of the job is accountability to the public. Alex has braved the trolls to post his opinions in a public forum. It's also a testament to building a thick skin that is needed in public office. And messaging behind the scenes doesn't give anyone else a chance see what his views are and engage in the discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:33 pm 

Hey there mmomma,

I would be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have. I have been posting on twitter, facebook and HV all year long in the continued hope that if anyone has a concern, that I can answer it accordingly. I have created several threads on the forum, inviting users to get in touch with me. Hopefully you can give me the time to answer yours as well. Hopefully what you received was my street-specific letter, which highlighted the concerns that your neighbours have also shared. I intend to address the points in the letter one by one immediately after the election, and communicate with you how I plan to go about it as soon as I can.

We can always talk about the big issues, which are important, but the more local and personal concerns should be just as important if we are to improve our day to day life as a whole. No concern is too small, as I can assure you every concern raised to me all year has been repeated at least 5 more times, even when it came to dead ash trees :)

I'm at your disposal, and anyone else's for that matter.

Real Estate Sales Representative, Right At Home Realty Inc.

Miltonian!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:23 pm 

I hit the advance poll on day 2, as apparently did a lot of people

Those cards were awesome in comparison to the prov/fed elections. I had to remember not to x!

Milton Office
103 - 450 Bronte Street South, Milton, ON L9T 2J4
T: 289 971 5707 | F: 905 602 8879