HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TVCOGECO Rant!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:29 pm 

Well, I think tonight's broadcast on TV COGECO of Monday's Council meeting highlights why council needs to seriously look at streaming video for their council meetings. At this particular point in time I would be happy with a town staff member using a decent digital home video camera, taking video and downloading it to YOUTUBE if budget for streaming video is an issue!

Not only was I interested in the general budget meeting discussions, my good friend and work colleague Bernadette Mason was making a delegate presentation to council. I had read what she presented but it's one of those things you don't get the full picture (literally) unless you can see it in person. If you're like me and tied to a 4 month old baby and can't make it (as well as having mommy brain and forgetting it's Monday night) your only current option is TVCOGECO. So, I'm watching the delegation from the Milton Minor Hockey League and the associated debate on the youth oriented ice user fees which was suprisingly interesting - maybe because my 4 year old started skating lessons last year and is expressing an interest in hockey (GASP!), Marshall Horner's address to council (Good job BTW Marshall), Martin Capper's address. There may have been one other short address in there, but I was getting a little bleary eyed by that point so I can't recall exactly. Then it was Bernadette's turn. About 3/4 of the way through her address the camera feed goes dead! AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!! I wait. All I'm getting is black screen with clock timer. NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Come back!!!!! I want to see the end!!!!! Nothing, nadda. Sigh. 1 full hour of black screen with clock timer.

Bernadette, I read your address and watched what I could. I'm very proud of you. I only wish I'd been able to see the last part of it, and the follow-on exchance of questions with council, or be there in person to provide moral support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:16 am 

Andrew, I would have remembered yours :) . I missed the first part of the meeting putting the kids to bed. When I tuned in was just before the presentation by the Milton Minor Hockey League. Zeeshan, tagged streaming video would be great! Can we do something about the absolutely abismal closed captioning while we're at it? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:57 am 

Staff is looking into streaming meetings online for 2011 I beleive. Colin made mention of it because folks like Zeeshan and myself were bugging them too much HAHA.

From what I remember Halton regions costs were roughly $60K so Milton would be looking at something similar in costs. There wasnt a mention of it in the budget report (if it was I must have missed it)

So the idea is in the pipeline already. It will be up to the new council to make it a priority.

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:25 am 

Zeeshan Hamid wrote:
The up front cost was $30K and then it was $30K / year. Being a nerd myself, I can't imagine why it would cost $30K to install (the yearly cost is mostly staff time).

I hope they don't do it until I am in the council so I can go through line items and figure out how to do it cheaper.

I agree wholeheartedly!! This is NOT worth 60 thousand dollars and then another 30K per year on top of that! It's already on TV and what was missed is available via minutes.

If it was free or cheap, then I'm okay with streaming for those few people who are super-involved and, let's face it, are going to read the minutes and watch cogeco anyhow. But I agree with Zeeshan that 60K+ 30K annually is too expensive.

I'd even go so far as to say it's a ridiculous waste of taxpayer money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:33 am 

Thanks freemantrailfamily! My husband was going to pvr it and show all his friends (his threat LOL) and we were not sure what happened.

To be honest.. the recaps from Rick & Zeeshan made my address sound much more impressive than it really was :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:31 pm 

You did great Bernadette!
60K? Seriously? :shock:
I don't need streaming video. Digital video recording available for download would be more than sufficient! The point was if Cogeco cuts off the meeting, well it's not much good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:41 am 

Juliano D'Lucca has just gotten Milton today tv up and running. it would seem to me that if it were feasible and cost effective, having the local coverage by someone who cares alot about the community would be great for coverage. they could even do post meeting interviews and analysis... possibly even a public forum concept.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:26 pm 

Zeeshan Hamid wrote:

I hope they don't do it until I am in the council so I can go through line items and figure out how to do it cheaper.

Why wait? Andrew was an IT PM, right? Can't you guys put a solution and cost estimate together now?
You know what, I'd GLADLY participate. YEARS of IBM, govt, and banking experience of mostly costing out technical solutions... if you guys want to sit down and talk informally, I'm game.
The technology has changed since I left the industry, but the solutions have to be similar... This seems like 20k tops one-time, and 0.1-0.2FTE + hosting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:54 pm 

Perfect.. good start.
$3000 materials, at a 2:1 labour:materials ratio = $6000 labour.

Add required cabling installation, and taxes, and we're right around 15k.

Add cheap storage for archiving videos

Ongoing -
You're going to need dedicated high speed redundant service lines
equipment maintenance
0.1-0.2 FTE's job would be to edit, post, and archive vids (1 day per week) so that we can access on youtube or elsewhere. (and tag them so we can SEARCH!!)

keep going, this is good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:39 pm 

There we go! That's more like it! Skype (free) and a webcam ($120.00) works great for chatting with my mom and dad. With VODburner (free) the call can be recorded and downloaded to YOUTube or Milton.ca :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:32 pm 

Guys I stream my poker games online sometimes.

THIS IS ALL YOU NEED TO DO A QUALITY STREAM.

an account on justin.tv (free)
a netbook with built in camera ($299 at bestbuy)
a wifi signal in council.

THAT'S IT.

Just set up the netbook facing whereever you want it to record and just log in to your justin.tv account when you commence session.

You can post the video feed on any html page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:03 pm 

Yeah, I was informed of that after :oops: . Still, I've watched the new streaming video the town's testing out and that's great! I still won't have any problems with you looking into that after Oct 25 to make sure the town got the best bang for their buck on it. :)