HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Municipal voter turnout
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:53 am 

In 2006, the average municipal voter turnout for Ontario was 41%. Milton was 30%. That has to improve, but present council has not shown much interest.

I would like to know whether candidates for the next council would support the following motion if it was raised early in the term:
" That the Clerk form a working group including citizen volunteers to identify and evaluate tactics, including internet-based voting, to improve Milton municipal voter turnout in 2014. To return to council by the end of 2012 with recommendations, cost estimates, and an implementation timetable."

The budget impact of this motion would be an ad in the Champion asking for volunteers, and some man-hours in the Clerk's department.

The expectation would be that the working group would first assemble input from a public meeting, responses to a website request for input, and documented results of similar programs and experiments conducted in other municipalities.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:05 am 
Site Admin

garlis wrote:
In 2006, the average municipal voter turnout for Ontario was 41%. Milton was 30%. That has to improve, but present council has not shown much interest.

I would like to know whether candidates for the next council would support the following motion if it was raised early in the term:
" That the Clerk form a working group including citizen volunteers to identify and evaluate tactics, including internet-based voting, to improve Milton municipal voter turnout in 2014. To return to council by the end of 2012 with recommendations, cost estimates, and an implementation timetable."

The budget impact of this motion would be an ad in the Champion asking for volunteers, and some man-hours in the Clerk's department.

The expectation would be that the working group would first assemble input from a public meeting, responses to a website request for input, and documented results of similar programs and experiments conducted in other municipalities.
Yes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:06 am 

Maybe there was some presence there that I didn't notice, but, I think it would have been a really valuable idea to have the city having a booth at the Fall Fair to inform people about the municipal elections.

Just a simple booth run by a city staff member (i.e. not run by candidates or volunteers of candidates) that had details on when and where people can vote, details on upcoming debates, and even having a list of candidates by Ward. You could even allow candidates to leave literature at the table for people to pick up as long as the opportunity is afforded to every one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:24 am 

Absolutely!!!

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:29 am 

Yes, long overdue. Thanks Garlis for caring enough to take the initiative.

Kindest Regards,
Tony Lambert
Local/Regional Councillor Candidate
Wards 1,6,7 and 8
www.yourtownyourway.ca
cell:416 455 8020

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:33 am 

Well at the local level it looks like Ward 1 (yourself) Ward 6 (ME) Ward 7 (Rick) and Ward 8 (Zeeshan) are for it. Sounds like a good start.

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:00 pm 

Andrew Salmons wrote:
Let's do it. +2 for Ward 1

There's an incredible amount of voter apathy. It's the same old reason - politicians don't listen and don't care. Let's have a discussion on how to make politicians accountable, and not just on voting day every 4 years.

Absolutely! That will increase in voters confidence and will result in increased votes in elections!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:37 pm 

Thank you to the 6 candidates for the speedy and positive response. I do appreciate it.

I hear Zeeshan already gets a 50% discount on town hall parking tickets but if he introduces the motion on voter turnout I will support his request for valet parking. :)

Where are the other forum regulars - Colin and Jan, Jennifer and Gerry?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:49 pm 

vgopal wrote:
Maybe there was some presence there that I didn't notice, but, I think it would have been a really valuable idea to have the city having a booth at the Fall Fair to inform people about the municipal elections.

Just a simple booth run by a city staff member (i.e. not run by candidates or volunteers of candidates) that had details on when and where people can vote, details on upcoming debates, and even having a list of candidates by Ward. You could even allow candidates to leave literature at the table for people to pick up as long as the opportunity is afforded to every one.

Good idea vgopal. And the same could have been done on Saturdays at the farmers market without any disruption. I don't expect the Chamber of Commerce would have objected to this if the town had shown any interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:15 pm 

I'm for good suggestions that would increase voter turnout so put me down for a yes.

Gerry Marsh
Candidate for Mayor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:19 am 

Thanks Garlis

You might remember I opposed the final recommendations of the ward boundary review, as the report did not include an educational program to inform residents of the new wards and encourage them to vote in municipal elections.

A number of municipalities such as Oshawa are conducting advertising programs to specifically inform voters of their responsibilities. The Town has similar information in the Talk of the Town brochure. But similar to today's Hamilton Spectator column on Burlington. Milton is between two large media areas with little local coverage on important issues and events.

http://www.thespec.com/opinion/columns/ ... ble-island

There has been some good ideas already mentioned in this and other threads and I understand from the Clerks office that the voters cards are being mailed out to every household this week which may also get people interested in this election.

If you check out the 2006 election summary, the voter turnout varied between 23% in Ward One to 39% in Ward Two with some polls reaching 47% turnout.

http://www.milton.ca/execserv/election2 ... isplay.php

For those residents reading this thread who are not sure about voting and have not been swayed by the usual rhetoric of citizen participation here is one compelling reason.

The average household in Milton pays over $ 3000 a year in taxes to the Town 27%, Region 45% and school boards 28% of your annual bill. Over the next four years that is over $ 12,000 of your money, which you have a say on October 25th in who makes decisions on your behalf in all three levels. Check www.halton.ca and type in Tax Estimator at the site search section, click several times and type in your address and you can see where your money is going.

Also, if you don't think your vote makes a difference think about this, during the 2009 and 2010 budget debates both the Beaty Library and the Scott express bus route were only decided by one vote at council with 5-4 votes both times. During the next four years both Council's will be making major decisions that will affect your family and future generations. Who you elect for your ward both locally and regionally can make a difference in the level of services, facilities, planning and taxes for your area.

At the regional level most of the recommendations are made at committees and sub-committees where there is only one Milton councillor on each committee. Who do you want to represent you at the table?

In previous elections there has been local councillors win by as little as 6 votes and even the Mayor was re-elected once as a councillor by only 16 votes. Each vote does count and could make a major difference in the new Town council which will have nearly half the council consisting of new councillors, the greatest change in a generation as most previous elections only have between 2 and 4 new councillors. This new council will have at least 5 new councillors, most of them from newer areas of Milton.

On Monday October 25th from 10 to 8 pm. and at the advance polls your one vote can make a difference. Check www.milton.ca under Election 2010 for voter information on where and when you can vote.

Colin Best
Local & regional councillor
Candidate for Local & regional councillor
Wards 2,3,4,5. North of Derry road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:25 am 

Ive run into people who live in the new ward one who were excited at the fact they could vote for me again. They had no clue about the ward boundary changes as well.

Communications regarding the ward boundary changes has been poor to say the least. SOME has been done, but as we candidates have found, it hasnt been effective.

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:59 am 

colin b. wrote:
Thanks Garlis

You might remember I opposed the final recommendations of the ward boundary review, as the report did not include an educational program to inform residents of the new wards and encourage them to vote in municipal elections.

Thanks Colin for supporting the concept of a voter turnout program.

The final report on ward boundaries was presented to the Administration and Planning Committee on March 23 2009. In my delegation to that committee, I supported Dr. William's final recommendations and my delegation outline also says:
"One regret with the process was low citizen participation. Bad omen for turnout in 2010. Last was only 30%. Introduction of new wards should be part of a broader program to increase turnout in 2010. Minimal effort and cost by the town ccould significantly improve turnout. Please give staff this direction."
I don't recall, nor do the minutes show, a motion from any councillor at that committee to support my request for a program. And approval of such a program did not require that it be included within the boundary report.

A week later the ward boundary report was approved by council on a recorded vote with Best and Mowbray opposed. Again, there was no motion to provide an accompanying education/voter turnout program - and there still hasn't been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:50 pm 

One major concern - especially in the older wards - is that people have been so used to always voting for two councillors that they may not realize they only get to vote for one until they're already in the booth. Or worse, they may mark two candidates anyway and spoil their ballot.

I would say about half the people I've brought this up with had no idea we only get one local councillor in Ward 2 this year.

Jennifer Smith
jsmith25@cogeco.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:23 pm 

sprawlville wrote:
One major concern - especially in the older wards - is that people have been so used to always voting for two councillors that they may not realize they only get to vote for one until they're already in the booth. Or worse, they may mark two candidates anyway and spoil their ballot.

I would say about half the people I've brought this up with had no idea we only get one local councillor in Ward 2 this year.

Again, this should have been addressed by the Town Council via voter awareness education. I wonder if they ever read these posts and feel even the slightest twinge of regret for everything they could have done but voted not to.