HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:57 pm 

although some questionable characters will frequent that location,lets not paint them all with the same stroke. i have a friend from high school who lost his way but the clinic he went led him out of the darkness... if one person gets healed, it was worth it,no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:22 pm 

bronte and what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:54 pm 

It's in the plaza where La Rose is. I don't remember the intersection.

I was in La Rose on Sunday picking up some rye bread. The clinic seems pretty unobtrusive to me. I've understood from others that it's something the community has needed and the people that are going there are trying to make their lives better and they don't hang around outside. Best to put it central to where it's required. I have no issue with it. The bar tucked in behind La Rose would be more of a concern to me about shady characters and problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:15 pm 
I have no issue with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:48 pm 

I have no issue with it either. Some people need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:06 am 

I have no problem with it either.

I am however a tad curious- where did the original poster hear about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:38 am 

Brian Hawley wrote:
, it was worth it,no?

Couldn't agree more. La Rose is close to my son's home and is also my favourite deli and bakery and I have never seen any issues at that clinic. I wish them well in the work they do.

Martin

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm 

When I first checked into this, I discovered that a nearly identical clinic had opened in a similar neighbourhood in Burlington back in the spring, with similar concerns from the neighbours. Their local councillor had set up a neighbourhood committee to monitor the situation, so I contacted him to find out how it was going.

They have had no problems. None. No incidents of loitering, no increased criminal activity, no "junkies lying in the gutter" - nothing. And I confirmed this with their BIA representative as well.

It's unfortunate that the current councillors for our ward have done little or nothing to inform residents of what the clinic is all about, to address their concerns, or to foster any sort of dialogue between them and the clinic owners as was done in Burlington. Careless comments and the lack of information are resulting in legitimate concerns being drowned out by fear and rumours, and no action is being taken to objectively monitor the situation.

Not good enough.

Jennifer Smith
jsmith25@cogeco.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:09 pm 

Sorry Jennifer. but this councillor did something about informing the residents. I also followed the Burlington clinic history at the Plains Road location which serves a number of seniors who had been over perscribed medication or had other reasons to attend the clinic which is also by appointment only through referals from patient's doctors.

When I first heard the concerns from residents I met with the clinic owner and asked them to hold an open house, which I invited any concerned residents about and also told Christina Comisso at the Champion who wrote an article about the clinic.

Several residents attended the open house and appreciate the information which calmed their fears. I also checked with the Halton regional police, health unit, town and regional staff all of whom have no problems with the clinic which is similar to five other clinics and hospital operation we have in Milton.

I have responded to every phone call, email and concern regarding this and other issues including dropping off material at resident's homes and asking them to call or email me if they have any further concerns.

Since the clinic's opening this summer I have heard no further concerns from area residents who were asking questions in July.

Colin Best
Local & regional councillor
Vice-Chair Halton Health & Social Services Committee
Candidate for Local & regional councillor
Wards 2,3,4,5 North of Derry road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:39 pm 

There's a whole long winded thread about this.

http://www.hawthornevillager.com/phpbb/ ... hab+clinic

The thread will look disjointed as the original author asked for all their comments to be removed.

Bottom line - they are doing good without disrupting the community. The Clinic manager is more then happy to answer questions about it. Feel free to call!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:48 pm 

My apologies Colin - I should have specified that I was referring to our local local councillors. You have always excelled at informing people about neighbourhood issues and actively following up with them, even though you have half the town under your jurisdiction. More of your colleagues should follow your example, as I certainly intend to do.

I continue to hear concerns at the doors, however. Several neighbourhood residents I've spoken to just in the last week are convinced that every incident from a broken beer bottle to a recent assault is somehow connected to the clinic - even though in most cases they occurred before the clinic even opened. I don't know if maybe they didn't read the information you gave them (none of them mentioned it) or if they just continue to object to the whole idea of the clinic, but from what they've told me the response from their other councillors has been unsatisfactory to say the least.

Jennifer Smith
jsmith25@cogeco.ca