HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:02 pm 

Paul, Jennifer thanks! Good input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:13 am 

Hello Everyone

First off I'd like to applaud you all for taking such a pro-active approach to your community.

My wife and I have recently purchased a home in Hawthorne on the Park (tentative closing date November 2011) and it is exciting to know that we will be moving into a community that really cares about where they live, work and play.

That being said I, like many of you want to be involved in making your and my future community the very best it can be. So I was wondering if there was anyway I could get involved or would this have to be something to revisit when we actually move to Milton.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to building a better Milton with all of you.

Vince

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:34 am 

Hi Annie

Count me in too. It would be nice to have a "real" neighbourhood association!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:07 pm 

I will definitely participate, and if you need web help, I don't mind buying, and hosting the site absolutely free. A name costs $10 per year, and I can host it under my existing plan at no extra cost. no need to collect pennies from everybody for that.

Wordpress indeed! I'm even willing to create the website as long as people aren't too picky about what it looks like. This one wouldn't look AS nice as www.fredhelps.com, since that site takes a little more work on my part to build and maintain, and the template wasn't free for that one, although the guyts are right, there are tons of GREAT templates out there for free.

I'm hoping we're leaning towards the smaller neighbourhood groups, but I'll keep my eyes on this thread to see what the consensus is. If somebody is already collecting a mailing list, my contact info is already everywhere, feel free to add me :)

Great job, all, I really like where this is going!

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:57 pm 

Full credit to Annie for starting this and attracting a solid group to build the foundation. Some thoughts:

Area. The bigger the area, the more credibility with the town and the region but residents should have similar interests. "South Milton" could be a problem because that will eventually include the Boyne survey.

Dues. I think $10 per year is a reasonable number - not painful but significant enough as a commitment to the association. There will be expenses for a website, regular meeting rooms if you can't find a sponsor, larger meeting rooms for AGM and other public meetings, perhaps newspaper ads, maybe incorporation, and even the cost of flyers can add up. If you are fortunate enough to build extra revenue, you can subsidize BBQ at the annual meeting or find a worthy charity.

Website. I know there are tech-savvy people here who can build a website. They are probably not the same people however who would have the time and interest to maintain a dynamic site - perhaps an Association blog, articles from councillors and school trustees, news items of interest to the members, an event calendar, etc. The site should be easy for a non-tech to maintain and to move to a new webmaster if necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:24 pm 

I'm interested.

Annie, please let me know how I can help.

BTW, my wife is in the New Media world and is all up for helping out with the website. She used to be the webmaster of a social club and knows all about it. She also worked for places like Warner, Rogers and Microsoft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:30 pm 
I'm interested too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:37 pm 

Some input on the website:

Keep it simple initially. Information on the assoc., link to add your name to the mailing list, posting of meeting minutes, reports from sub-committees, etc.

Although I like the idea of tweeting and blogs. That may introduce a large level of maintenance that may not be sustainable with volunteer effort.

Once established, then look at adding them as demand dictates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:46 pm 

Just thinking about what Garlis and others have said about common interests, and what Zeeshan has often said about the issues of his neck of the woods being quite different that those in the 'older' new developments.

So how about the "Bristol Survey Residents Association"?

That area has been developed over approximately the same time frame, and therefore the people there have similar concerns and issues. Not that I'm trying to exclude Zeeshan or anyone else in Ward 8 - I'm just suggesting the Bristol Survey as a manageable, clearly defined area.

(of course none of this is any of my business since I live downtown - just throwing in my two cents)

Jennifer Smith
jsmith25@cogeco.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:19 am 

1) What will the association be named? I hesitate with “Bristol Survey” because after a few years on this forum I’m not sure I want to be part of a group whose initials start with “BS”. That’s just setting ourselves up for ridicule. :) Kidding. I don’t want to exclude Ward 8. Zeeshan may wax poetic about how the issues there are different from what the rest of the newer development may face but we’re still one group and we’re stronger as one. So are we back to HVRA?

2) I’ve looked at wordpress and I like what I see so far. I am sooooo not a techie ( a trekkie maybe but not a techie) and wordpress seems relatively easy to use and operate. Much thanks for the offers of help and advice. I’ve started pooling the content for the site. It will be fairly simple as Geer suggested. I do like pretty pictures though ( the chick in me ) and I know we have several photogs on forum so if any of you’d like to release a couple pics we can use on the site, it would be greatly appreciated. Once we have enough to build from, I’ll get in touch with “Mrs Big” to see what magic she can work for us.

3) How do we work-in the neighbourhood Champions? I guess we need to definitely define our boundaries and then mark out the various neighbourhoods. I’m proposing a preliminary meeting of the Working group on November 30th possibly 7 – 8:30 pm at a location to be determined. At that meeting we can also establish the nominees for the executive and put them up on the site prior to the Jan meeting. Any suggestions here?

4) I’ve had two volunteers to be on the Executive but we need more. We have 4 core positions. Champions can be added but we need to start off with a strong core. Please pm your interest (including positions). Do you think we should be considering establishing the core Exec at the Nov meeting so we’re fully functional come January?

….Just a few items I’d like your thoughts on. Sprawlville, your two cents are worth a lot here so please keep throwing them in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:38 am 

Annie wrote:
1) So are we back to HVRA?

Makes sense to me! I presume Annie someone will draw up annexation papers for HV to acquire Fifth Line so that I can participate:)

Annie wrote:
4) I’ve had two volunteers to be on the Executive but we need more. We have 4 core positions. Champions can be added but we need to start off with a strong core. Please pm your interest (including positions). Do you think we should be considering establishing the core Exec at the Nov meeting so we’re fully functional come January?

I think it would be great to put the core positions in place on 30th November as we have 2 Council Meetings scheduled for December.

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:29 am 

Martin Capper wrote:

I presume Annie someone will draw up annexation papers for HV to acquire Fifth Line so that I can participate:)
I think it would be great to put the core positions in place on 30th November as we have 2 Council Meetings scheduled for December.

Hahaha. When I came up with HVRA initially, it was not so much a geographic definition but a nod to the forum that brought us all together. If it were not for the HV'er we'd not have had a common meeting ground to air our concerns and issues and to share information. Regardless of where we live within Milton, we're all Hawthorne Villagers. So no annexation required Martin. If you had won local councillor, you'd have been the voice of many HV'ers. If you don't have to live in a ward to represent it, you don't have to live in HV to participate in the HVRA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:05 pm 

Steve & Kelly wrote:
I have also submitted my desire (to Annie) to be part of the "executive" for this group.

So much for "elections". ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:32 pm 

JTP wrote:
So much for "elections". ;)

lol. You're not out of the running yet JTP. Where should I put your name on the ballot? Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer or Secretary? ;) I'd love to see you step up.

Let's use the meeting on Monday 8th, to iron out the wrinkles in the HVRA and then hold the elections on November 30th (Unless we only have one candidate per core position and then everybody is acclaimed). We've had 3 expressions of interest in core positions.

At this point if you're serious about membership, in any form or fashion, please pm me your contact information so we can compile a memberlist for voting in the core positions. We can discuss whether this is done virtually or not, at the meeting on Monday. ( Not derailing your meeting but perhaps being part of it's evolution ) We're looking for name, address, tel# email address and if you're interested in a core position ( specify which one). Email will be the preferred method of contact.

More details to follow....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:13 pm 

You'll have to keep my name out of it, for now. My shifts don't allow me to commit to much outside activity.
I need a "real" job.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next