HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Regional report
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:51 pm 

For anyone interested in regional government issues, today was the first working council meeting of the new term with a budget review by the treasurer Jane Mac Caskill outlining the challenges for 2011 and the next 10 years for operating and capital budgets.

You can see the presentation and all regional council and committee meetings via the region's webstreaming at :

http://www.halton.ca/cms/one.aspx?objectId=9029

I was also confirmed for following positions and committees which I volunteered for:

Vice-Chair Planning & Public Works Standing Committee
Milton representative on the Inter-Municipal Liasion Committee (IMLC)
Member of the Planning & Public Works Interview Committee
Member of the Halton Agricultural Advisory Committee (HAAC)
Member of the Court of Revision
Member of the Ontario Traffic Conference
Member of the Halton Regional Forest Stewartship Advisory Committee
Member of the Joint Waste Management Advisory Committee
Vice Chair of the Water Conservation Advisory Committee
Member of the Lobbyist Registry Review Sub-Committee

Also we had the first meeting of the Inter-Municipal Liasion Committee after the council meeting which you can also see via the webstreaming.

This committee chaired by Chair Carr, has one councillor per municipality plus the regional and local planning directors who work together for the implemention of the new regional official plan called Sustainable Halton and local official plans , which is presently dealing with the Provincial comments on the Official Plan and requests from provinical staff such as including possible provincial highways through Burlington, Halton Hills and Milton including the Niagara Escarpment, sensitive creek valleys and built up areas. Also the committee dealt with other issues such as future employment lands and rural designations.

If you have any comments, questions or concerns on any Town or regional issue please pm me or email at colin.best@milton.ca

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2011.

Colin Best
Local & regional councillor
Wards 2,3,4,5 North of Derry road
Milton/Halton
www.milton.ca
www.halton.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:32 pm 

Colin,

Who will be representing Milton on the Region Budget Committee?

Also, the Milton Budget Committee was not mentioned at council on Monday. Who will be on that committee and who will chair?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:19 pm 

Hello Garlis

No Milton councillor was elected to the Regional Budget Review Committee. I will be attending those meetings as I have in the past to ensure Milton area projects and programs are in the budget.

The Town Budget committee is all members of Council and this year the Mayor will chair the committee due to the large number of new councillors and the impact of the infrastructure funding on the 2011 budget. The first budget meeting is scheduled for Monday January 17th with the report and background documents available on line the week of January 3rd.

Colin Best
Milton/Halton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:29 pm 

Houston, we are anticipating potentially serious problems on the good ship Milton!

Both Region Council and Milton Council should be concerned with the process and the perception when Milton does not have a voting member on the Region Budget Review Committee that develops the biggest part of our tax bills. Colin, I understand that you will be monitoring the Region budget development and I truly appreciate the amount of time that you spend on municipal work but that is not the same as having a voting Milton representative on the committee.

I clearly recall 2 budget cycles when Mayor Krantz' advice to the Budget Committee was NOT to get into the details. He seems an unlikely choice as Budget Chair when you have an enthusiastic group of new councillors anxious to work the detail to get the most from our tax dollars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:33 pm 

Colin for Mayor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:50 pm 

garlis wrote:
Houston, we are anticipating potentially serious problems on the good ship Milton!

Both Region Council and Milton Council should be concerned with the process and the perception when Milton does not have a voting member on the Region Budget Review Committee that develops the biggest part of our tax bills. Colin, I understand that you will be monitoring the Region budget development and I truly appreciate the amount of time that you spend on municipal work but that is not the same as having a voting Milton representative on the committee.

I clearly recall 2 budget cycles when Mayor Krantz' advice to the Budget Committee was NOT to get into the details. He seems an unlikely choice as Budget Chair when you have an enthusiastic group of new councillors anxious to work the detail to get the most from our tax dollars.

Garlis, I agree with you. It's really bad news for Milton that we have no elected members on the Regional Budget Committee. Colin, the amount of work you put into the job is highly commendable. Is there opportunity for citizen's groups like HVRA and MRRA to make delegations to regional council to assist in backing you up in ensuring Milton's voice is heard during Regional budget deliberation?

Post subject: Re: Regional report
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:00 pm 

colin b. wrote:
Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2011.

Colin Best
Milton/Halton
www.milton.ca
www.halton.ca

Colin

Thank you and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours

Martin

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com