HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:27 pm 

Hi
To all councillors/candidates (for town roads) and especially regional councillors/candidates (for the major roads).

There has never been a clear answer as to why the traffic lights in Milton aren't timed very well for traffic flow. Particularly on Thompson Road, Ontario (getting through Childs, Pine, Main). Then there's Martin St trying to get to the highway from Steeles. I'm not even going to mention Derry Road here, that's just a big big shame. These are just a few example of poor planned traffic signals. I can go on and on, but you get the idea. The problem is not just specifics, but an overall overlooking of traffic flow issues that should be obvious to everyone on council. It is reactive and appears to be controlled by folks who don't live around here. What's the problem and how would you fix it?

The lack of right turn lanes: Nobody has ever explained this AFAIK. A simple explanation about why we don't have these and why we will have them later would be sufficient.

Roundabouts/traffic circles: Most of the above-mentioned problems would be solved with traffic circles. I don't see enough of these on new streets (ie Louis St Laurent) and don't see enough planning on new streets. Boyne survey doesn't have enough either. Yes we have one or two token/photo-op roundabouts on Termaine, but these are merely lip-service. Let's see some leadership.

Can we understand what is being done or can't be done to resolve this? Or what you will do to fix what other didn't?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:21 pm 

Since I wasnt on council when a majority of these streets that lack right hand turn lanes were constructed, I wouldnt be able to come up with the reason why they are not there. I can however speak to the current council and the future subdivisions and streets that are being planned for the future. I along with a number of councillors have brought this up to engineering staff when future plans are being laid out in new areas (mainly Boyne Survey) The focus is to have these right hand turn lanes installed at the time of construction as to avoid the problems we do have at other intersections (One being Thompson and Derry...no right hand turn lanes)

Secondly, I know this council is making roundabouts and traffic circles a priority in some areas. While I wouldnt want to see them at every intersection inside neighbourhoods too much, I have seen the benefit of having them at some major intersections like Main and Tremaine. There are more slated to come which include Britannia and Tremaine and other major intersections.

Hard to fix the issues of the past but at least going forward we have been looking into this when designing new subdivisions and also looking to see if there are ways to fix others that have already been done. Its a work in progress but at least from my perspective, if I continue to be on council, it will be forefront in my mind.

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:42 pm 

Thanks Mike for responding and seeing the issues as relevant, you've certainly got my vote :D