HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Questions from ward 6
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:54 pm 

Hi

i'm in ward 6 and my wife and I were talking last night about what we beleive are the issues to Milton and I've got 1 major concern

With the recent boom in population, we (my wife and I) do not beleive the infrastruture of Milton has not caught up with the population growth of our town and with all the construction of new homes, we don't believe it will be able to catch up unless serious money has been allocated to building the infrastructure up to where we beleive it needs to be.

Our roads, i don't beleive can handle the population growth, transit is horrible, services from the city of Milton is lacking and the list goes on.

do you (councillor) have any plans or any thoughts on how infrastuture/ deleivery of services can be caught up with the population growth?

I've been through the Milton growing pains as i've milton in milton for 15 yrs. and though it has improved in the last few years, i don't beleive it's anywhere near where it should be.

I know there are somethings not in councils control ie: all day go or more go trains, however there needs to be some sort of plan and if there is a plan, and i'm talking a plan that's already started and not a plan to put a plan into place, where might i find this. I've seen some as part of the Strategic Plan and Destiny Milton 2 but those things are from 2006. surely things have changed since.

as for the Community Services Master Plan, when will the updated one come out? I know it was reinitiated on July 2013 so what is the time frame of the finial copy for the updated Master Plan?

thanks for your time

BTW i still think the velodrome is a colossal waste of money and the funds could have been put to better use.

edit: personally, i'd like to see a stop of any *new* developments until the town can deal with the population growth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:25 pm 

Hey. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with you. Infrastructure is far from caught up. You see it just by walking around in the neighbourhoods. Specific to Ward 6 (and I'm sure this applies in some, if not all other wards) there are a number of roads that can barely handle the volume going through them daily. Congestion in school zones and regional roads only contributes to the headache.

I think it all boils down to mentality in how we approach service delivery in Milton. On the one end, you have transit where i believe the planning needs to seriously improve. It is a lopsided service in relation to the town's growth at the moment. On the other, well, recently we had a lot of attention being paid to illegal dumping gping on, mainly because the Town has either not spotted or has not followed up on the vast amounts of garbage that have been piling up extensively in parts of Milton. (LSL/Thompson for example).

Mentality needs to change. Yes, a good part of Milton is the older area while the other is the newer suburban area. If we treat both areas exactly the same with service delivery, one or the other is bound to be lacking. If we can address them as characteristic parts of Milton, I think that can go a long way in helping us to catch up with the Town's growth.

As for the Town Plan and Destiny Milton 2, things certainly have changed since. What council has done to date is propose amendments to the original plans rather than draft new ones(which would probably be easier for residents to follow).

Actually the draft of the new Community Services Master Plan is available for you to read, and they have (had?) A survey for input on it. The link to it is:

http://www.milton.ca/en/play/masterplans.asp

Real Estate Sales Representative, Right At Home Realty Inc.

Miltonian!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:01 am 

in my opinion, Derry should be have been extended to 6 lanes and not 4. the population is booming and with housing being brought so close together and compact, you now have much more cars in a smaller area. also, when construction is blocking a certain area or cutting off a lane, the congestion spreads to residential areas too. it's not hard to see that milton is growing fast, why not anticipate the growth and be ready for it?
people having to sit in traffic as soon as they leave and arrive home are not happy people. give them a nice drive to and from work and they will be happier to live in milton.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:04 pm 

King Luis wrote:
in my opinion, Derry should be have been extended to 6 lanes and not 4.

That's ok, they are extending Tremaine to 6 lanes instead. That's much more useful. It'll impress the countless masses that will come to gawk at the impressive velodrome. Daily east-west commuters along Derry can go suck it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:51 am 

biggest problem i see, and anabusi has nailed it.

council mentality

it needs to change.

current mentality is, wait and see then react. it's a reactionary mentality rather than progressive mentality.

all these houses are being built and then the school, roads, etc are increased/ widened after the fact. I would think that the schools, road, infrastruture would be in place before the new areas open up.

but that's just me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:23 am 

denti wrote:
biggest problem i see, and anabusi has nailed it.

council mentality

it needs to change.

current mentality is, wait and see then react. it's a reactionary mentality rather than progressive mentality.

all these houses are being built and then the school, roads, etc are increased/ widened after the fact. I would think that the schools, road, infrastruture would be in place before the new areas open up.

but that's just me

Thanks for that, and rest assured, it's not just you. When I'm talking to residents in Ward 6, the second that a change of mentality comes up, the conversation gets much, much better. It resonates, and that's the most important thing that a Councillor should be able to do with the people they represent.

A great example happened just recently, actually. In a way it does highlight the approach Milton has taken lately to the comings and goings of recent events.

There was the road paving delay on Ferguson and its side streets in the north part of Ward 6. That was a job meant to be finished by June. Yet it dragged on and on, until I gave them a call to apply some pressure on the situation. I gave a 2nd call a few days later, and was going to do so until something was done. Literally one week after my first call, I am notified that the manholes are being covered at last, and days after that the streets were finally paved. What I'm trying to get at is not that it was just me doing so (Mike Cluett was also applying pressure, and I'm sure fed up residents started doing so as well), but that the developers have noticed the lack of a mentality shift on the Town's part, and were literally walking all over that project on their own terms. A little pressure, and you had accountability at last.

Things can get straightened out in a hurry if we take the initiative rather than wait for a problem to fester.

Miltonian!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:38 pm 

anabusi wrote:

There was the road paving delay on Ferguson and its side streets in the north part of Ward 6. That was a job meant to be finished by June. Yet it dragged on and on, until I gave them a call to apply some pressure on the situation. I gave a 2nd call a few days later, and was going to do so until something was done. Literally one week after my first call, I am notified that the manholes are being covered at last, and days after that the streets were finally paved. What I'm trying to get at is not that it was just me doing so (Mike Cluett was also applying pressure, and I'm sure fed up residents started doing so as well), but that the developers have noticed the lack of a mentality shift on the Town's part, and were literally walking all over that project on their own terms. A little pressure, and you had accountability at last.

Things can get straightened out in a hurry if we take the initiative rather than wait for a problem to fester.

Thanks for giving me my chuckle of the day. Nothing like tooting your own horn here. But don't you think you went just a bit too far, bud? You made a phone call (to whom?) and suddenly the paving company rushed their equipment to Milton to finish this paving project? Not in a million years. Earlier we were told that the delay was caused by negotiations between the neighbourhood developer and the Town of Milton over some driveway issues, but when candidate Anabusi calls, everything sorts itself out?

It is outrageous claims like this that turn people off politics and politicians. On the other hand, if you can come up with even a shred of documented evidence that indeed you had a hand in causing this paving project to proceed, I will eat my words.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:58 pm 

anabusi wrote:
What I'm trying to get at is not that it was just me doing so (Mike Cluett was also applying pressure, and I'm sure fed up residents started doing so as well), but that the developers have noticed the lack of a mentality shift on the Town's part, and were literally walking all over that project on their own terms.

I did not say my phone call alone did the trick, nor am I claiming sole responsibility. I made it fairly clear this was a concerted effort. People put their voices together and something got done. Had the delay been due to negotiations, scraping the road and then just leaving it be all summer long was a genius move, no?

Whether through the lens of delayed negotiations with a stripped road that residents had to deal with all summer long, or simply a delay without properly following up with residents, where were the people even considered? I used this as an example to illustrate how the mentality shift needs to be directed at what best serves the people, not the developers and most certainly not town staff.

If what I said turned you off, then I apologize. People were FURIOUS that this situation was going on, and I'm thankful to have at least helped out however I could.

Miltonian!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:36 am 

And you believe your call was any more important to all the other calls because you are a candidate? Come on, get real. You make it sound like your call made all the difference. Next time use a better example and stop trying to take credit for something so obviously not of your doing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:37 am 

No, I don't believe that. I believe that the calls from all the parties involved made the difference. That was the point I made in my statement. I did not take credit for the resolution, and I made that clear in the following sentence.

anabusi wrote:
What I'm trying to get at is not that it was just me doing so (Mike Cluett was also applying pressure, and I'm sure fed up residents started doing so as well), but that the developers have noticed the lack of a mentality shift on the Town's part, and were literally walking all over that project on their own terms.

If you would like to think otherwise, you are entitled to that and I respect your opinion. I was addressing the need for council's mentality shift, not 1 or 2 phone calls.

Miltonian!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:21 pm 

I have been working to become an 'informed' voter ever since the signs started showing up on lawns a few weeks ago. I missed two of them who came to the door. I certainly do a lot more investigating at election time than my wife who doesn't even bother voting. Having read through the various Ward 6 candidates websites I tried to understand who the choices are in Ward 6. Two of the candidates need better website editors since most of it has been written in broken english(or worse they wrote it themselves). Mostly what I found are platitudes which will respond to most of the questions of the original poster in this thread (denti).

I just ordered a lawn sign from Alex (to put up beside the Cluett sign) and he is getting my vote. I don't see any of the other candidates in my ward who appear to be putting in the same effort. I can't accurately say where most of the candidates stand on issues but Alex seems to have put in a sustained effort to follow issues, follow up on them and put his hat in the ring as a result. Incumbents can be held accountable to their track record (see the disaster that was Tony L.) but new faces are even harder to assess. At least Alex is willing to put his thoughts on the Villager and risk the wrath of annonymous posters or Prickly Pete!

Interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on the Ward 6 seat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:08 am 

Hi AJ,

My name is Nik Thakkar and I am running for Public School Board Trustee. If you have any question related to School board , I would be more than happy to answer it. You can also learn more about my election and issue at www.nikthakkar.ca. Thanks for being "informed" voter as we need more voters asking question.

On a side note Alex keep up the good work your doing to reach out to as many residence as possible. Unfortunately for trustee way more difficult to cover all four wards accept through virtual medium.

AJmilton wrote:
I have been working to become an 'informed' voter ever since the signs started showing up on lawns a few weeks ago. I missed two of them who came to the door. I certainly do a lot more investigating at election time than my wife who doesn't even bother voting. Having read through the various Ward 6 candidates websites I tried to understand who the choices are in Ward 6. Two of the candidates need better website editors since most of it has been written in broken english(or worse they wrote it themselves). Mostly what I found are platitudes which will respond to most of the questions of the original poster in this thread (denti).

I just ordered a lawn sign from Alex (to put up beside the Cluett sign) and he is getting my vote. I don't see any of the other candidates in my ward who appear to be putting in the same effort. I can't accurately say where most of the candidates stand on issues but Alex seems to have put in a sustained effort to follow issues, follow up on them and put his hat in the ring as a result. Incumbents can be held accountable to their track record (see the disaster that was Tony L.) but new faces are even harder to assess. At least Alex is willing to put his thoughts on the Villager and risk the wrath of annonymous posters or Prickly Pete!

Interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on the Ward 6 seat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:16 am 

Hi AJ,

You should also check out Kim Graves for the Wards 1,6,7, and 8 trustee position.
http://www.kimgraves4trustee.ca/

A little introductory youtube video that plays to her fun side.
http://youtu.be/jZs7vu8_gdQ

Also a great resource are the interviews including Kim's for the interim trustee position when Nancy resigned earlier this summer. Kim posted this in the General forum under Election Campaigning.

The closest alternative for wards 1, 6, 7, & 8 is the open interview session for the trustee appointment after Nancy MacNeill left. Three of the five trustee candidates currently running participated in the interviews. We had 10 minutes to answer three questions (prepared in advance). Here is a link to the interviews: http://199.235.122.54/TrusteeInterviews.html Current candidates speak starting roughly at minute 59, 1:15, and 1:26.

She has a twitter account for her current trustee work:
@TrusteeGraves

She has also started an election campaign twitter account to keep the current job and campaign work seperate:
@kgraves4trustee

I've got the same signs as you currently on my lawn. I think Alex is the best candidate for Ward 6. He's been going to council meetings consistently which I feel shows that he's serious about learning what the job is really about. I've attended council meetings and watched on-line streaming. You miss things with streaming. He's been doing background research reading reports, knocking on doors and talking to people all over the ward - rural, urban, all walks of life, attended a wide variety of community events. Kim has really impressed me with her strong education background, speaking to her she fully grasps the depth of the job of trustee and the issues Milton faces both in the classroom and lobbying the provincial government for funding changes that are necessary to manage growth and maintain quality classroom results and challenge budget decisions. The Halton District School board manages a budget larger than the Town of Milton and has to consider decisions that not only impact Milton but Oakville and Burlington but be consistent and fair across the region. Trustees also have to engage the ministry of education regularly and be adept at lobbying. Kim has experienced education as a long time member of parent council at Chris Hadfield PS, has seen the challenges of growth there during the tumultuous years when kids changed boundaries every year, when parent councils banded together to create the parent supercouncil and worked with trustees and board staff to lobby for changes to funding and the size of schools in Milton to address a dramatic shortage in spaces in the initial phase of growth that resulted in significant changes for the design of Tiger Jeet PS, Escarpment View, PL Roberston and newer schools, she has dealt with gifted programs, and special needs personally. She is also an extremely strong supporter of math and science as statistician and post-secondary educator at the University of Toronto and Sheridan College. Her post-secondary experience in education also allows her to have a different perspective on delivery of education and the impact elementary and secondary curriculum changes have at the post-secondary level. Do your research, talk to the candidates, make your own choice that fits your concerns best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:58 pm 

I am in Ward 6 and I am locked in to my vote for Mike but I haven't made my mind up on my Ward 6 candidate yet. I guess I have been subconsciously leaning towards Alex (maybe sign recognition :) ) and I think he seems to be on top of things and has the right attitude. Thanks Kim for providing some additional context on Alex - very helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:37 pm 

I definitely agree with Kim, Alex is the best choice for Ward 6! He have been giving an effort all year long. Where were the other candidates? None made such great effort like Alex did. I am definitely voting for him :)