HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:53 am 

Hello Everybody,

My website www.yourtownyourway.ca is up. Please visit my website to learn why I am running to represent the voters in the new area; my contributions to the area and Milton in general, the issues and my platform, as well as answers to often asked election questions.

If you have any questions please ask me. You can email me at tony@yourtownyourway.ca or call me on my cell at 416-455-8020.

Kindest Regards,
Tony Lambert
Local/Regional Councillor Candidate
Wards 1,6,7 and 8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:56 am 

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much.

All the Best,
Tony Lambert
Wards 1,6,7 and 8
cell:416-455-8020

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:05 pm 

OK, that just hit on my two big pet peeves.

1) There was never plans for a garbage incinertator. The Region initiated a study on using energy from waste as a long term possible replacement for the dump site on Hwy 25 when it reaches the end of it's useful life in around 2020ish (now 2031 or something like that due to the green cart program and recycling programs). The size of the facility was recommended to be something that technologically could have had a number of configurations that were not incineration, including using the extracted methane gas to burn in a gas turbine to produce electricity like the facility that already exists at the Hwy 25 dump location.

Comments on Pristine Power removed. After checking council meeting minutes, I'm not sure my facts are straight on that project.

Last edited by freemantrailfamily on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:18 pm 

Hi Freemantrail Family,

Thanks for your post and your comments.

All the Best,
Tony Lambert
Wards 1,6,7 and 8
cell:416-455-8020

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:52 pm 

OK, I've calmed down now on my pet peeve issues. Past is past.

Tony, not really any detail on the hosptial expansion. Can you elaborate on what you would do and your position on funding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:02 am 

Hi Freemantrail family,

Thank you for your questions. My position regarding the hospital is that I believe it is one of my priorities if I become the local/regional councillor for wards 1,6,7 and 8. That is like most if not all of the candidates, in terms of the importance of expanding the hospital asap. Personally however I may differ in my approach to getting it done.

As you know the vast bulk of the money to expand the hospital must come from the provincial government. Our hospital expansion will cost more than a half a billion dollars from the province alone, when you look at other hospital expansions recently. Part of the big challenge is the provincial government has said they will have deficits of more than $20 billion dollars for the next 3 to 5 years. So our major source of expanding the hospital is saying "we'd like to give you the money, but we can't" right now. This to me however is unacceptable. The provincial government must make Milton a priority and the funding of our hospital a top priority. I do not want to wait 5 years before the government starts the planning process of when we get our hospital expanded. I therefore will if elected (GW) very aggressively impress on the provincial and federal government for funds and a timetable regarding expanding our hospital.

As far as the local share of the funding, we Miltonians are looking at a huge cash commitment in the tens of millions of dollars. The potential municipal tax increase for us in 2011 is 6.91%. A tax levy to pay for our portion of the hospital would raise this past 7% maybe 8%. I think people are over taxed in Ontario to begin with Freemantrail family so asking me if was the local/regional councillor to support a tax increase greater than inflation approaching 7 or 8 percent is just like asking a fireman to set his own house on fire - it's just not happening.

If elected I will listen to staff suggestions to fund our portion of the hospital. A hospital tax levy is not one of the options I like. I will also listen to the voters who I represent to hear what they prefer. After all they are the ones the hospital is for. Within the next month I will have finished going to all the houses in wards 1,6,7 and 8 between the 407 to Tremaine. By that time I will have heard many of the voters' ideas to fund the expansion, and be better able to support or resist ideas from staff. Thank you again for an excellent question on a very important topic for me.

Kindest Regards,
Tony Lambert
Wards 1,6,7 and 8
www.yourtownyourway.ca
Cell:416 455 8020

Last edited by Tony Lambert on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:22 am 

Thanks for that answer on the hospital.

Tony, I've removed my comments on Pristine Power. It's been a long 4 years and in reviewing Council meeting minutes and reports on the subject I'm now not sure I'm remembering my facts straight. One thing I did note in my search though is that I didn't see anywhere your submitting a petition on that project to council as you're claiming. I could be wrong - lots of meeting mintues to go through - can you point me to the agenda where you presented your petition to council?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:07 am 

Hi Freemantail family,

Thank you very much for your post. It is truly a great thing and very nice that we are able to move on, and work together to make Milton the great place it can be - by working together. (Thank you). I collected hundreds of signatures for the petition but never submitted them to council. Local and regional council began moving in a different direction once the topic became central to many people.

Kindest Regards Freemantrail family,
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:09 pm 

Well, actually Tony one thing I did glean from my readings is all members of Council were questioning and concerned about the Pristine Power application right from the very start. So the leadership on the issue wasn't you, it was council and failing to file a petition you started only indicates to me failure to follow through.

I also didn't see any addresses to council on the issue by you in the minutes relating to Pristine Power. That's something I've seen from alot of the serious contenders for the Local Councillor prospects on a number of occasions, let alone one seeking to represent Regional level. It's good preparation and shows leadership. Don't see that so far with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:21 pm 

Hi Freemantrail family,

I do not agree with you but I respect your opinion which you are entitled to.

Tony Lambert
Wards 1,6,7 and 8
www.yourtownyourway.ca
Cell:416 455 8020

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:11 am 

Hi Tony,

Tonight was interesting to learn about how you want to accelerate widening of Britannia using an ammendment to the official plan. It was difficult to carry our conversation very far without having the document to refer to so the discussion was getting circular and frustrating.

So, I've had a chance to review the Regional Offical Plan section on Transportation and now I am even more confused. What ammendment would you propose that would accelerate construction of Britannia? The region official plan is a big picture document on how transportation should be delivered as a whole with nothing that would impact the timeline of a specific project. Also, I took a look at the Oakville official plan and it contains nothing on scheduling of road widenings either, so I don't understand your reference to an Oakville ammendment to their official plan used to affect road scheduling?

On implementation of photo radar cameras, given that the province has declined both Ottawa and Mississauga's requests in the recent past why not better spend the dollar and manpower resources and instead look at the root of the problem which is the design of the roads themselves? Given our tax dollars are at a premium, wouldn't funds be best spent on implementing traffic calming devices like local narrowing, traffic circles, and other similar structures that address the root cause of speeding instead of a project that would have a low probability of successful implementation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:23 am 

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:11 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Kim,

It was very nice meeting you last night I really enjoyed it. Here is your quote...

[quote]So, I've had a chance to review the Regional Offical Plan section on Transportation and now I am even more confused. What ammendment would you propose that would accelerate construction of Britannia? The region official plan is a big picture document on how transportation should be delivered as a whole with nothing that would impact the timeline of a specific project. Also, I took a look at the Oakville official plan and it contains nothing on scheduling of road widenings either, so I don't understand your reference to an Oakville ammendment to their official plan used to affect road scheduling?

On implementation of photo radar cameras, given that the province has declined both Ottawa and Mississauga's requests in the recent past why not better spend the dollar and manpower resources and instead look at the root of the problem which is the design of the roads themselves? Given our tax dollars are at a premium, wouldn't funds be best spent on implementing traffic calming devices like local narrowing, traffic circles, and other similar structures that address the root cause of speeding instead of a project that would have a low probability of successful implementation? [End Quote]

First off I want to thank you Kim for looking deeper into my thoughts and plans. If we had 10 thousand more voters like yourself it would be great for Milton, and our country which I love like you.

1) Last night I began talking directly to the candidates running for wards 1,6,7 and 8. Sharon Martin Andrew Mike Maqsood Rick Marshall Paul Jeff and Zeeshan. I hope they are reading this right now. This post is for them as much as it is for you and the readers. The way to fix our gridlock problems is to change our official plan. No Amendment Kim. Change the Official Plan. Oakville changed theirs so can we to CHANGE our arrangement with the developers.

2) Speeding Cameras. I want them and so do many people in the new area. I agree with you regarding traffic calming which many of the candidates in the new area have signed on. I am with them and will if elected request traffic calming AND speeding cameras.

Kindest Regards,
Tony Lambert
Wards 1,6,7 and 8
www.yourtownyourway.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:55 am 

Please show me the change that Oakville made to their official plan that accelerated roads for them. Quote it. Link to it. Show it to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:53 am 

Looked at it again. Nope. Nothing on scheduling. Nothing on regional roads in their official plan (current or Sustainable Oakville), because they're - well - regional responsibility and don't fall under the municipal official plan. Not in the regional official plan because scheduling is not covered under the official plan document. It serves a different purpose under the municipal act. Scheduling is done through a combination of the planning and administration committees and budget committees and then has to be approved by Regional council. There's more to it, but you should know that especially considering you've attempted to run for this position before. Tony, you just don't know the processes involved in the position you are running for. Sorry, that's just scary and kinda sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:06 pm 

Hi Kim,

Thanks for your comments, I resepect your opinion but I do not agree with you.

Best Regards,
Tony Lambert
Wards 1,6,7 and 8
www.yourtownyourway.ca