It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Keep this item in Budget or cut it from budget
Remove from budget 56%  56%  [ 15 ]
Keep in budget 44%  44%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 27
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:15 am 
Site Admin

FYI "Town Levy Increase" is assuming all of the lower number items were also cut...so if your picking and choosing things out of priority, then the "Town Levy Increase" number will no longer be valid.

If you have any questions about this description of change, or would like to debate it, then please do so before voting. Only vote if you are 100% sure you understand this budget item and it's impact.

Please read the sticky post that has instructions before voting on any of these polls.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:53 am 

What was the service level increase going to be and what was it rising from? What does reverting back to sporadic weekend enforcement look like?

I imagine in either scenario, if someone calls to complain, a bylaw officer will still come by. I would assume levels refer predominantly to sporadic proactive bylaw enforcement?

And, what was finally decided in the budget?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:56 am 

for some reason, i dont get an option to vote. so ill write it. remove from budget

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:52 am 

I believe bylaws should be enforced 7 days a week. Since many of the bylaws have to do with how people get on with their neighbors, such as noise and parking (I am not sure though if parking falls under this specific umbrella--does it?), and since the majority of Miltonians are home weekends from Monday-Friday workweeks, it makes sense to me to have enforcement on these days.

It also makes sense to me then, to have less enforcement if cost cutting is the goal, on weekdays such as Mondays or Tuesdays, since there are so fewer residents home then anyway. If a tree falls in the woods, or in this case, if a neighbor blasts his stereo and I'm not home to be bothered, do I really care?

Perhaps give bylaw enforcement officers a shifted weekend or something like that, there is no reason you can't have both better use of the money budgeted for this resource, and better customer service.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:55 am 

Hi Eltee

The Town has part time by-law staff who are on call status evenings and weekend to deal with some of these situations. You are right, the Town has separate contract parking enforcement officers for parking violations and a total of three by-law officers enforcing other Town by-laws from noise to property standards seven days a week. The new by-law enforcement supervisor is reviewing procedures and will be making some recommendations to council in 2014 on how staff can improve the enforcement of the Town by-laws.

Colin Best
Local & regional councillor
Wards 2,3,4,5 North of Derry road.
Milton/Halton
Chair MIlton Administration & Planning and Budget committees.