HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:08 pm 

Again, the question was whether there are private facilities offering these services in other municipalities. The answer to that question is clearly yes, and with running tracks and squash courts as well.

I hear you about the pay-as-you-go flexibility that you want, but in my opinion that's a rather weak reason to ask the entire tax base to continue funding this boondoggle. For pay-as-you-go, the the Rotary Park pool is open all summer for swimming, and in winter there's skating. Not to mention the host of other year-round activities such as gymnastics, basketball, karate, etc, etc. Worked for us when we were kids here anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:26 pm 

I think the question needs to be rephrased. Are there other municipalities of comparable size to current Milton that do not offer publicly funded recreational facilities and rely exclusively on the private sector to fund the aforementioned recreational uses? If so, what does it cost a person and on what terms?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:20 am 

Milton had a budget surplus of $1.9 million from 2009. That equates to about 6% of taxes collected. Unfortunately this was not discussed in 2010 budget meetings and showed up AFTER council approved a 4% tax increase for 2010.

The new council should make sure that the projected budget surplus for 2010 is included in discussions of the 2011 budget.

Probably also a good idea to check the disposition of the $1.9 million surplus from 2009. It went to reserves but where is it now? Did it become over-budget spending in 2010? Or is it available in over-funded reserves to soften a 2011 tax increase or fund a Hospital Expansion Reserve?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:28 am 

Ya, good luck with that! They've already got the spin-masters started on trying to softening us up for massive tax increases to come. From last Thursday's Champion:

Canadian Champion wrote:

Municipal taxes could double by 2021: report

"Residents could be paying close to double the amount of property taxes to the municipality by 2021 as Milton catches up with soaring growth rates, according to a new study.

A long-term growth report shows an annual tax increase of 6.32 per cent between 2011 and 2021 is needed to maintain and expand infrastructure and service levels, and cover operating costs in town.

“Generally, residential developments generate more expenses than revenues and industrial developments generate more revenues than expenses,” financial advisor Gary Scanlon told council last week. ...

Sounds like the beginnings of a strategy to make us feel that something like 4 or 5% increases will be an amazing 'compromise' after all is said and done.

Incredible. But not surprising. I've never met a government worker who didn't want more tax money to spend. Since their salaries keep increasing year after year and their big pensions are secure, they don't seem to feel the pain that the rest of us feel ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:00 pm 

miltonLeo wrote:
Ya, good luck with that! They've already got the spin-masters started on trying to soften us up for massive tax increases to come.

That long term report probably includes the unedited wish lists from every department. I know it includes an expansion of the new town hall and an expansion of the soon-to-open new library. It probably also includes meeting every standard suggested by the Province (other bureaucrats) for such things as staff per thousand population, library sq.ft. per 1000, firefighters per 1000, buses per 1000, wider country roads, and salary escalations for all.

Past councils have shown little inclination to control spending or dig into the budget process. Staff got pretty much what it asked for provided the resulting tax increase wasn't too shocking. That attitude, and $6 million per year from Mohawk, allowed council to finish the budget in one or two nights while other municipalities had not even begun their more serious work.

Four remain from the old council and Mayor Krantz has the role of budget chairman. If Milton budget culture is to change it is up to the 7 new councillors and the time is now. Forget the chair. Get into the spending detail. Forget the phony 2-meeting time limit and take whatever time is necessary to do the job on behalf of taxpayers.

We have elected the 7 new councillors. Now we need to encourage them to do the job and offer them suggestions for consideration where we can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:48 am 

garlis wrote:
Forget the phony 2-meeting time limit and take whatever time is necessary to do the job on behalf of taxpayers.

We have elected the 7 new councillors. Now we need to encourage them to do the job and offer them suggestions for consideration where we can.

Garlis

The first meeting is tucked in after the Administration and Planning Meeting so how wide awake will everyone be? I presume all Councillors have had some input into this schedule. I hope I am wrong but this does not speak well for a new era of Public consultation in Town processes!

Martin

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Martin Capper wrote:
Growth should pay for itself
I'm curious how regional budgets could pull off that hat trick when considering the ontario development charges act restrictions which prevent this from actually occuring, at least in Milton.

Or it could be semantics, maybe they're over-collecting on property taxes year by year to save up for future growth? Not sure how they're defining that statement. Colin any comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:28 pm 

Thanks for the question Rick.

This was one of the major issues during the last term of regional council when some builders wanted regional council to reduce development charges that pay for regional services such as water, wastewater and major roads. The council unanimously stood up to the builders stating that costs incurred by the growth will be paid by development and I added the request to the province to review and amend the 1997 Development Charges Act as it only collects on average 82% of the cost of growth and Halton has one of the highest charges due to the amount of infrastructure while Toronto has no development charges for new residences.

It is interesting to note that the municipalities with the highest development charges also have the highest growth rates such as Halton, York and Peel regions.

The region will be holding public meetings through January to present and debate the budgets of the three committees which are then reviewed by the Budget review committee and Regional council. (see attached calender)

http://www.halton.ca/regional_council_a ... schedules/

Also don't forget that if you have any questions or concerns about the regional budget please contact myself, Councillor Lambert and the Mayor who sit on different committees at the Region.

I will be having more information next week when the Town budget report and recommendations are circulated by staff.

Colin Best
Local & regional councillor
Vice-Chair Halton Planning & Public Works Committee
Milton/Halton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 am 

Thanks for the update Andrew

Actually Toronto only recently started collecting development charges and as the attached chart shows they collect nothing for the regional level of services ie. water wastewater etc. which could be a reason why there is so many watermain breaks in the City as they have not kept up in replacing infrastructure.

http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/realestate ... developers

This chart also confirms my earlier statement. The higher the development charges fees is where the highest growth rates are, as most of these areas are greenfield locations where there needs to be completely new water, waste water pipes and facilities,. new roads, schools and other services.

I will be posting more information on this subject later this week when the town budget report becomes available.

Colin Best
Local & regional councillor
Wards 2,3,4,5 North of Derry road.
Milton/Halton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:42 pm 

The proposed Milton 2011 Budget is now up on the town website.

http://www.town.milton.on.ca/townhall/d ... dgets/.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:10 pm 

The 2011 Budget documents are well done, again, and provide lots of useful background as well as enough detail to identify issues. Unfortunately, we appear to have the stage set for another performance of the traditional Milton Budget Theatre.

Here is the outline:
- Mayor Krantz is chairman to reduce improvisation.
- The first meeting follows an Admin. and Planning Committee meeting to reduce the time allocated.
- Speeches will be made to emphasize the importance to the planet of approving a Milton budget no later than January.
- They will begin with the capital budget and explain that slowing approval of major projects will not affect the tax levy since the funds come from reserves. They won't mention that 2011 taxes are needed to fund those reserves.
- They will then work on the operating budget and the list of 35 suggestions for small spending reductions that could reduce the proposed 5.7% tax increase by about 3%. Tradition says that some councillors will debate the minor items like eliminating transit for special events ($27,000) or delaying the new library opening ($26,000) for hours, thus avoiding any discussion of bigger-ticket items.
- Councillors will tire of the process about 11 PM on the second night. A designated person suggests a reduction in reserves to bring the tax increase down to 3%. Budget is set. Big spenders bow and lead the applause.

In summary, the objective is to run out the clock without getting into pet projects. It will be interesting to see which councillors follow the script and which go improv on behalf of taxpayers.

BTW, so far I have not found mention of the following items in the budget documents:
- A small program to research ways to improve voter awareness/turnout.
- The $1.9 million (6% tax increase) surplus from 2009 or the expected surplus for 2010.
- A salary freeze (about $600,000) which councillor Scherer asked be included in 2011 budget deliberations.
- The requested increase in pension plan contributions that was mentioned at the budget call meeting. Has that already been approved?
- The start of a Hospital Expansion Reserve Fund that we were told would be part of the 2011 budget process.
- Sale revenue from surplus properties such as the Lions Club hall in Campbellville and at least part of the Bruce Street property.
- An evaluation of the sale of the leisure centre that was requested by a councillor in the last 2 budget cycles. In fact it appears that programs will be expanded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:47 pm 

Nice job garlis!

Agree it will be interesting to see what happens and whether it will be just the exact same show with the exact same result as it's always been in the past (i.e., a rubber-stamping of pretty much whatever staff asks for with no real oversight or leadership).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:03 pm 

I honestly think they should leave the hospital another year. There's a new provincial government being elected in October, and the Oakville project will be further along, with possibly some numbers, to base ours on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:23 pm 

In addition to the comments listed here in this thread, I have posted the links to the town's website for the 2011 budget documents. I know many of my collegues read this thread and listen for suggestions.

http://mikecluett.ca/2011/01/2011-milton-budget/

The budget meetings will be held at town hall Monday January 17th and Tuesday January 18th (if necessary...and it probably will)

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Steve & Kelly wrote:
I am waiting to submit my comments until after the budget meeting(s) takes place.
If you wait until *after* monday then your limiting yourself from providing any input.

I mean council will be meeting and voting on items in the budget. Why not comment before and provide some input ? You could do so privately or publicly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next