HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hardwood in the kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:38 pm 

Anyone have hardwood in their kitchen? If so, how is it holding up to everyday use?

This is the biggest debate for us: hardwood vs tile in our kitchen

For the wife and I, we'd LOVE to have hardwood in the kitchen as it looks great, especially how it will be a continuous flow from our Great Room.

The thing that we're on the fence about is the durability as to the occasional spill (we have a 2 month old who of course will eventually start learning how to drink from a cup, as well as we're hoping to have more kids eventually), ice cubes dropping on the floor, splashes from washing dishes, to the risk of having a dishwasher leak overnight and the water sitting there.

Also, heavy foot traffic as we like to entertain guests, and there's the doorway to the backyard via the breakfast area.

I've been reading about all the pros vs cons online, about the risk of swelling if you have a water leak etc., but realistically, is it that impractical to have?

We could try to be pretty diligent to wipe up spills that we see, but of course, is this way too much maintenance?

Any input would be great.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:38 pm 

Hi Jee Dee,

I personally do not like the idea of hardwood in the kitchen. It looks nice but most likely wont last long.

We have tiles in our kitchen now and hardwood in the dinning and great room and it looks really nice. Also, its easy to clean when the kitchen floor when you have tiles.

If i remember correctly, u have the windmere model ? If so, get hardwood in the upper hall instead of kitchen. We have the windmere model and deciding on getting hardwood in the upper hall - dont know how much it will cost though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:51 pm 

I prefer porcelain tile in the kitchen, but have seen a growing trend towards hardwood.

If you go with it, I'd go with a hand scraped finish so it will be more durable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:43 pm 

I totally love the idea of hardwood all over the mainfloor..including kitchen and breakfast...but yes I did not go with it for all the reasons u mentioned above :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:11 am 

Jeff Dee wrote:
Anyone have hardwood in their kitchen? If so, how is it holding up to everyday use?

This is the biggest debate for us: hardwood vs tile in our kitchen

For the wife and I, we'd LOVE to have hardwood in the kitchen as it looks great, especially how it will be a continuous flow from our Great Room.

The thing that we're on the fence about is the durability as to the occasional spill (we have a 2 month old who of course will eventually start learning how to drink from a cup, as well as we're hoping to have more kids eventually), ice cubes dropping on the floor, splashes from washing dishes, to the risk of having a dishwasher leak overnight and the water sitting there.

Also, heavy foot traffic as we like to entertain guests, and there's the doorway to the backyard via the breakfast area.

I've been reading about all the pros vs cons online, about the risk of swelling if you have a water leak etc., but realistically, is it that impractical to have?

We could try to be pretty diligent to wipe up spills that we see, but of course, is this way too much maintenance?

Any input would be great.

we went with hardwood in the kitchen.. the reality is I spill more in the family room than I do in the Kitchen :) ahaha

we'll see how it turns out

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:09 am 

We did hardwood in the kitchen and loved it. Spills are a rarity and easy to clean. The secret is to not skimp on quality and have a good installer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:17 am 

Foreveryoung wrote:
We did hardwood in the kitchen and loved it. Spills are a rarity and easy to clean. The secret is to not skimp on quality and have a good installer.

Did you do anything to prevent possible spills/leaks from the dishwasher or fridge? (Ex. tiled underneath those appliances?)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:52 pm 

Jeff Dee wrote:
Foreveryoung wrote:

Did you do anything to prevent possible spills/leaks from the dishwasher or fridge? (Ex. tiled underneath those appliances?)

No - I'm not getting a fridge with a water dispencer and I will put down a waterproof tray under the dishwasher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:48 pm 

Jeff Dee wrote:
Foreveryoung wrote:

No, did not. Never thought of it. Never had a problem. Guess we are lucky.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:38 pm 

First, I have to say I spend a lot of time in my Kitchen and with previous history working as a chef and in catering, it is a very important space to me.

Much like dropping a pot and cracking a tile, Hardwood floors may also pose future repairs. I have hardwood in my current Kitchen as well as in my previous home and would never have it any other way.

I find it easier to clean without having to worry about dirty grout and I never have cold feet in the Kitchen when making breakfast in the early morning. It flows into the rest of the main floor and looks amazing and constantly receive compliments.

From a resale perspective, there may be those that don't like it, however the demand is going the way of hardwood throughout and the buyers will pay the premium.

I have an ice maker that decides to furiously dispense when unexpected and occasionally ice and water find it's way on the floor, as long as you're diligent in drying up it is fine. There are some areas after 3 years, when looked at closely will notice some minor water damage at the seams between pieces but overall it holds up well.

I do find that true hardwood actually held up better than the engineered, but the difference would be un-noticeable to most.

Hardwood scratches, but having a touch up kit can solve those issues quite handily. Some hardwoods look better with the added character especially if you get the hand-scraped variety.

Your little children will also feel better walking, crawling and falling on the hardwood versus the tile.

Can't imagine my Kitchen with tile, but that's just my personal preference.

The Kormendy Trott Team
Century 21 Miller Real Estate Ltd.
647-464-0957 Direct

www.kormendytrott.com
www.facebook.com/kormendytrott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:07 am 

We also had the debate of hardwood vs tile.
We ended up going with hardwood, can't beat the look.
I love it and will never go back to tile, hardwood is not as bad as what people say.

Your worse case is you will replace it in the future
But realistically you will be replacing your cabinets in 10 years time
I don't think the builder Cabinets will last longer then 10 years anyways
So at that time if you really don't like the hardwood you can get new flooring with your new kitchen in 10 years.

FYI:
We did the porcelain tiles in our last home, they are warmer on the feet, but I found they are softer then regular tiles.
I chipped one tile in the first year.