HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Joist Direction
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:02 pm 

Does anybody know if it's possible to determine the direction the joists will be going between the first and second floors before they start framing?

I ask because I'm in the design centre process now, and trying to plan the rough in of pot lights to install myself after closing… but it's a lot easier to run wires with the joists than against them…

I will ask at the design centre, but I really don't think they're going to know. I'm wondering if it's standard? I'm in a 2-storey town.

Front to back or side to side? Anyone?

Even if there is someone around who has a townhouse and can share which direction their joists go would be helpful (maybe…)

Post subject: Re: Joist Direction
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:35 pm 

Not easy unless you have the engineering plans. If you can figure out which walls are load-bearing, the joists above will be perpendicular to them. Having said that, I don't really know anything about townhouses but I would imagine that the joists would run side to side because the width is relatively small (shorter run if going side-to-side means more strength)...

But why do you need to know this now? Why not just look at what they do during the framing stage? Take photos too. I can't stress this enough, having detailed photos saved me numerous times in many projects. If you monitor this during the building process you'll still have your answer well ahead of closing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:00 pm 

My town was front to back, hillsview

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:39 pm 

Thanks for the insights.

I want to know now because I plan to have a few strategically-placed capped electrical boxes put in, where I'll be putting in future pot lights. I have to specify those at my design appointment. I want a couple rows of pot lights in my living room... But I plan to only have 2 or 3 capped boxes installed, depending on the direction of the joists, and then I can run wires along from from those boxes and put in additional pots wherever I want.

Just trying to find the most cost-effective route for easy installation later... Since Mattamy's pot light prices are highway robbery...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:31 pm 

I had Mattamy install capped boxes for me as well but also paid to have them run a switch so they ran all the wiring automatically. All I had to do was pull out the boxes and install the pot lights.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:16 am 

Yeah, I've thought about that... but I'm looking at how it's $78 per capped box... and I can buy halogen pot lights for $20 each... If I need around 10 lights on my main floor, I'd rather have mattamy put in 2 or 3 capped boxes (already on switches), and run the wires from those along the joists to put in the rest myself... spending maybe $300 or $400 total vs. close to $1000 for them putting in all the boxes and then buying the lights.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:19 am 

That makes sense. I see what you're after now - you want to strategically place the Mattamy capped boxes so you have one per joist "tunnel" and that avoids having to drill through them. :lol:

I suggest you take what input you've got and make a best guess for the joist direction. You've got a 50/50 chance of getting it right. If you turn out to be wrong, you can always invest $50 in one of those 4ft drill bits designed specifically for this sort of thing...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:34 am 

Exactly.

I'm going to have to take my best guess and figure it out when I get in there.

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:25 pm 

A cheap stud finder from CTC or HD will tell you the location in no time. But I am sure you already thought about that. Otherwise the popped nails are a sure indicator.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:23 am 

lol yeah -- I can obviously find out when I'm in there… it's PRE-construction I was looking for. So I could plan some things out ahead of time as per above.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:11 pm 

Go into your basement and locate where the main posts and supports are, then see if you have any walls built over them. If so these will be your Bearing walls which will support the upper levels. Once you know which are bearing walls, you will be able to see which way the floor joists run. From that wall to the exterior wall!