HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Underpad Upgrade
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:49 pm 

My design booklet shows there is an included "35 oz textured cut pile polyester" underpad throughout the house.

Has anyone here upgraded their underpad?

For people who have NOT upgraded their underpad, do you regret it? Are footsteps really loud?

Post subject: Re: Underpad Upgrade
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:35 am 

I do recommend upgrading the underpad if you are keeping the carpet. My first house I didn't upgrade the underpad and when I ripped up the carpet the underpad was disintergrated. My neighbour upgraded the underpad and the carpet still feels soft.

Renfrew Elevation "G" Hawthorne Village

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:42 am 

I did it, it is incredibly softer than not having it. We plan to keep the carpet so we added it. good for kids to play on.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:02 pm 

Does it make aby difference on non carpeted areas such as tiles and laminate flooring?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:13 pm 

The underpad upgrade is only for carpet i believe. They list the price in the book just in case you change that room to carpet.

I upgraded the underpad instead of the carpet, figure this is the better choice. I read this before... not sure how accurate it is but makes sense to me:

"Invest in a Good Underpad
Most people think carpet underpads are there to provide extra comfort under foot. In reality, a carpet underpad helps absorb foot impact that makes carpet fibers break down over time. The extra comfort is just a side benefit." https://www.homeminders.com/Articles/Ho ... fault.aspx

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:13 pm 

I priced out the cost of upgrading the under pad and it was 1/4 of the cost of changing the carpet to a 60oz with the upgraded underpad. But I did it anyways, because you could feel a difference at the sales center. I'll wear out the carpet, and then worry about changing it in a few years.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:34 pm 

Upgraded the under-pad makes a huge difference. 1st house we did not do this, the last house we upgraded the under pad. It made a huge difference, it felt softer and the halls never got that worn down look in the center area where you walked all the time. We don't own either house anymore, but we lived in both homes for 2 years. In the last home the carpet still looked brand new when we sold it. In the first home the carpet was in great shape but you could see where we walked regularly, due to cheap under-pad compressing over high traffic area's

Last edited by justagirl on Fri May 09, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:21 am 

I upgraded the underpad in carpeted areas as well... based on everything I read beforehand about it being one of the no-regrets upgrades of most people. My understanding is you're better off with a cheaper carpet and better underpad than better carpet and cheaper underpad.

I have a town so there is laminate on the main floor... because it is a floating floor I had the option of upgrading the underpad on the laminate, too, but I didn't bother. It's not like it changes the feel or the longevity like it does with carpet.