HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Double vanity
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:07 am 

Hi
I am new to this forum. I have bought the Shelburne in phase 3. Trying to figure out my upgrades. Do you think its better to pay $955 for a double vanity or would it be cheaper to get it done after closing. Some of the upgrades i was thinking of getting are
smooth ceiling on the main floor-$1,104
plasma ready for main flr-$167
toe kick central in kitchen-$313
central vac rough in-$304
upper cabinets above the range delete-$112
rough in for pendant lights-$277
railing instead of knee wall-$1313
microwave shelf-$500( not sure if i shd get this)
double vanity-$955( not sure if i shd get this)
The stairs come in natural oak which would not match the hard wood floor which i plan on getting but i dont know how much mattamy would cost me to get that stained.
Any advice as to what i shd get, If i shd get the double vanity with mattamy or after

Post subject: Re: Double vanity
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:54 am 

I decided to NOT upgrade to the double vanity... though I want to put one in later. I think many would say it's worth it, though, as you will be looking at redoing some plumbing to install one later. Depends on how comfortable you are with that.

I DID get the microwave installed over the range... I price out doing it after closing and figured it would cost about the same if not more, so thought it was worth it. (I wanted the extra counter space)

Mattamy's cost for staining the stairs is widely regarded as highway robbery... BUT it's such a hassle to do after (because they won't leave them unfinished, you'd have to sand/strip the clear varnish before you could stain them yourself) that it one area where it's worth sucking up the ridiculous cost and just getting them to do it. I did.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:27 am 

How come they charging staining the staircase.? In our model sherkston staining oak staircase to the colour of your hardwood floor is included in basic model.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:32 am 

Staining the staircase is included for our model as well - Windmere . How come they are charging u for the stair staining ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:32 am 

Detached homes get hardwood and free staining, semis and towns do not.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:36 am 

OP has the shelbourne (36') in phase 3. Mattamy will be matching the stairs to the floor you have chosen.

The options you have chosen are good choices. I would have liked to have the microwave shelf, but it didn't work our for the Renfrew.

I would also highly recommend getting the conduit from the basement to the attic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:28 pm 

Thanx a lot for all the inputs. I think i shall go ahead with the double vanity. I will ask them about the stairs though. Do you know if they give you upgraded cabinets if you choose the executive kitchen package

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:20 pm 

The kitchen packages only affect features within the kitchen i.e. Top drawer construction, pot and pan drawers, etc and do not affect the grade of cabinet. You will have to upgrade your cabinets separately. We went with the Classic Premium line as we couldn't find anything we liked in the included cabinets.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:14 pm 

Thanx. The included cabinets are really sad. We were considering upgrading as well

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:40 pm 

We wanted to upgrade but thought we could live with the sad cabinets for 5-10 years and do a Reno once we got bored of them.

Or reface them through Frendel in the future with the Espresso CL colour...although the colour will vary slightly.

Closing August 2014

Post subject: Re: Design Upgrades
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:36 am 

We got the double vanity option and are happy with it. What doubled: sink, faucet, GFI outlet, plumbing, vanity lighting. So adding the cost of all that may end up being worth it to get it done through Mattamy. Check with your DC though because our upgrades booklet had the double vanity option in two different sections (one under cabinet upgrades and one under bathroom upgrades if I remember correctly) with slightly different wording (one did not include all those things and one did - but that was a typo on their part, they may have fixed this by now).

We got the smooth ceiling and are happy with it.

We got the plasma ready wall, looked well built during our Framewalk but we haven't used it yet, still need to get a wall mount for the TV.

We decided not to get the toe-kick but took some time deciding this one. On one hand we were worried it might look a bit awkward or clash with the cabinets. On the other hand it's very convenient to not have to sweep into the dustpan... but we've never seen nor used a toe-kick before. So we decided to spend that money on something else. We got the central vac rough-in.

Microwave shelf - ask your DC if these are available or possible with your kitchen layout, there might be 3 different options available to you (each with a different price). You might be able to get:
undercounter microwave space - I think there is only one microwave (Sharp undercounter drawer-style microwave) that fits this.
microwave shelf (you can fit in various sizes of microwaves up to a certain maximum size, but you won't get the built-in look)
built-in microwave - will be made specific to the size of your specific microwave. We didn't like the inflexibility of being stuck with one microwave size, what if we needed to change our microwave in the future? Though you could get another microwave with the same dimensions.

Ask for details about where the microwave shelf would go and how it would affect your cabinet layout. For our kitchen the shelf placement looked a bit awkward in the layout - it was protruding outwards (wider depth than upper cabinets) and under (went lower than the upper cabinets), not nice and aligned with the cabinets like seen in the photo above. So we decided to put the microwave on the good-ol countertop. Though if the shelf was in a better place layout-wise (maybe like the photo above) we would have preferred to get the microwave shelf. Keep in mind that with the microwave shelf you may be losing cabinet space (but gaining countertop space).

There are some things not written in the book that you can ask your DC about. For example, when we went there wasn't a built-in microwave option in our booklet but when we asked about it DC said it was available and showed us what it would look like.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:33 pm 

Thanx a lot :D some awesome input and advice you have given me . I shall definitely ask them these questions