HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stacked cabinets
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:04 pm 

Hi, I m confused whether its worth to go for stacked cabinets in the kitchen and the faux cabinets doors. Do they add any value to the house at the time of resale.

Post subject: Re: Stacked cabinets
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:03 pm 

They do to me. I can't stand the look of plain islands... it just looks so unfinished. I wish they would just make them a standard part of all kitchens. The stacked cabinets also help complete the look. Just my personal opinion but I say if you're going to spend any money, go the whole 9 yards or don't spend any at all. There are some nice tricks you can pull off to make builder cabinets look nice without upgrading so it's not just about spending money. I've seen some Mattamy kitchens where you know they spent a lot of money but in all the wrong places and it just looks atrocious. (and makes me think "I don't care how much you spent, you have no taste and I'm ripping it out the second I take possession") so that wouldn't add value lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:36 am 

LOL as an Interior Designer I absolutely agree with lovelythanks4asking. Faux doors on the island and stacked cabinets really finish off the space - at minimum I would go with the faux doors.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:30 am 

Thanx guys,
I have ordered for stacked cabinets. Faux doors were very expensive for my lay out (including stacks too).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:37 am 

how much were the faux doors? i'm considering doing that as well, but if the price is ridiculous then i may have to reconsider.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:32 am 

You can always get the faux doors from Frendel after closing, I believe you have to wait 90 days however as they have an agreement with Mattamy not to sell anything to their customers until a certain point after closing.

Doing it through Mattamy we paid $900 if I remember correctly and we wanted them immediately.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:34 pm 

You can also get moldings which are less expensive, I can't remember how much the whole kitchen cost but it was $190 to do the end of one lower cabinet which we forgot and had to go back for.

This is what we got:
(the "furniture kick" and posts were extra though)

Attachments:
Island post copy.jpg
Island post copy.jpg [ 137.42 KiB | Viewed 8519 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:36 pm 

Fabulous, looks great!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:10 am 

Thanks, I'd love to take credit for it but our designer suggested it lol
...and I lied, it was $125 to do the end in applied mouldings and that's a standard color choice.
I'm sure Frendel could do them even cheaper after closing. I heard you can even get the soft-close hinge attachments for WAY less directly from them and install them yourself (they just clip on) which give the doors that heavy, sturdy (and expensive) feel.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:31 am 

Your designer has great taste. I went into the Frendel studio a few months back and yes they confirmed that soft-close hinges can be provided after closing - they wouldn't provide a price but we are definitely going to order them once we are eligible after closing. They really make a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:19 am 

We just discovered this weekend that IKEA snap on door dampers work on our Frendel Cabinets! Anyone with a Frendel kitchen can simply go into an IKEA to pick up their grey snap on dampers to create soft close doors for only $7 for a package of two. They have two options, one is created for their kitchen (grey/silver) and they also have a generic white one - don't buy the generic one, get the one designed for their kitchens and it will work on Frendel's too. Thought I'd pass this along.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:59 pm 

Can someone who has stacked cabinets please tell me the dimensions of the interior of the cabinets? Specifically, I want to know the interior height. I've been doing some shopping for decor, and am not sure if things will fit.

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:46 pm 

I am from another Mattamy community.

Yes you can buy directly from Frendel 3 months after you close. They have your kitchen house plans with them. Only problem is they do not deliver and you have to get it yourself.

If you are getting stacked cabinets with doors, either you inform your Design Consultant of your plans so your uppers are shorter and you get it done afterwards or you pay Mattamy to do it.

Since stacked uppers will only look good with glass and the interior has to be stained to match the cabinets, you are looking at way too much cost.

I did stack mine but mine was plain stack. It is so much cheaper to get it done afterwards comparing to what Mattamy was offering, You can also buy additional pantry and cabinets after.

If you need a carpenter to install I can always give you my hookup.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:26 pm 

Hi there,
Can anyone tell me how much they paid for stacked cabinets? Does Mattamy price per cabinet, or is it priced as an overall cost for the whole kitchen? We have the Trenton chef kitchen, so there are a lot of cabinets, but just looking for a general number so we can gage how much it will cost.

Also, for anyone who has gone with Frendel after closing, how much does Mattamy charge to shorten the cabinets (to allow room for the stacked cabinets)?

Thank you!

Firm Closing Date: September 14, 2017

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:05 pm 

We did the Elmira (royal cabinets) and ours were around $2000 I believe