HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:40 pm 

I stopped by my village townhome that is being built and noticed that they had torn apart some of the foundation in what is supposed to be the laundry room (I paid to have it relocated to the bottom floor). Any idea why they would do that? Did they screw up with the plumbing when they first laid the foundation maybe?

Also, I'm very worried that they have started putting up drywall when the roof does not yet have shingles and there is no brick up. Walking through the house, it is wet everywhere from all the rain and snow we've been getting the past couple of weeks. Is anybody else concerned? The moisture can't be good for the drywall and I also haven't had my framewalk so I'm not sure why they have begun the drywalling.

Attachments:
foundation1.jpg
foundation1.jpg [ 114.51 KiB | Viewed 2594 times ]
foundation2.jpg
foundation2.jpg [ 124.55 KiB | Viewed 2594 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:44 pm 

I would be concerned. From my memory our house had shingles and windows installed for the framewalk.

Then almost the day after the Framewalk they started insulating and a week later drywall.

For our house they needed to tear up the concrete for a drain pipe that was off location by 6 inches for our basement laundry so that may be a reason.

Call the construction office and ask who the person in charge of your lot is and speak to them regarding your concerns. You definitely should have a frame walk before drywall...in some cases if they tried to reach you a couple times with no luck they may skip the framewalk...so just be aware.

Closing August 2014

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:53 pm 

Nothing to say about the roofing…. but the same thing happened with my laundry room (which is also relocated). They obviously screwed up and had to go back and move some things around.

They will pour some concrete to patch it up. I wasnt too happy that my new house was already going to have an area that looks patched up, so I complained to my Customer Care person. At first they said "its an unfinished area so we're not going to fix the patches" but I asked for a manager and suddenly they agreed to re-surface the whole floor. Now it looks nice and you could never tell they had to dig it up and re-do it. But I did have to ask for management just to get them to fix it properly.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:26 am 

We noticed that too...asked customer care and their only response is that their products are build to last. Lol wtf does that mean? I've taken a ton of pictures and will address it at our frame walk. We even noticed that there is ice inside the vapor barrier in one spot....hmmmm...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:07 pm 

I would be very concerned about the house not being shingled before the insulation went in. I would call your builder and also ask for a written letter stating that the drywall, insulation, and vapor barrier has been in place before the roof being shingle. Also stating that this standard procedure in home construction.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:23 pm 

What can I say. The odds are very high that you will have insulation problems. On Tight Court the other day the insulation was a disaster. Literally none of the soffits were blocked properly and the insulation blew all over the place. *Don't get me wrong but you need a proper inspection after you take possession.

*I say don't get me wrong because whether you call me or not does not matter to me. I'm busy all the time anyways. It's just the smart thing to do - that is to protect your investment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:32 pm 

But an inspector won't see those things behind the walls...it really concerns me. We definitely plan on having an inspection when we are closed but I'd almost like to have someone there for each step. Right now we are waiting to be 90 days until close so we know that our date is firm....even though firm doesn't mean firm we hope that it will be closing come april. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:57 am 

Louise7 wrote:
But an inspector won't see those things behind the walls...it really concerns me.

The good news Louise is that insulation issues behind walls almost never comes up as an issue. I know this because during cold and very hot weather my infra red cameral can easily see if insulation is missing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:02 am 

justagirl wrote:
I would call your builder and also ask for a written letter stating that the drywall, insulation, and vapor barrier has been in place before the roof being shingle.

Seriously get them to write this letter, tell them you need it for your lawyer, and give this too your lawyer when you close your house. Tell your lawyer about your concerns about mold and possible other water damage. Also ask your builder to stat in the letter that this is following proper building guidelines. (if this is what they are telling you). This letter will protect you if you have mold issues, your lawyer will be able to word this letter admittance to your benefit or protection. And never tell/or write the builder or Tarion that they fixed the problem. Always state that the problem has been addressed in whatever manner they did, Took out insulation and replaced with new... Nothing more (If the problem recurs down the road, you have never admitted it was fix, you only stated that the problem has been addressed and noted in the way they addressed the problem) If you say "Fixed" - you admitted it was fixed - case closed - you loose.