HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:59 pm 

Hello,

I have recently purchased a home in the HSV phase 2 and I am really considering removing the hardwood on the main floor following the tiled foyer and just letting the tile run from foyer all the way through hallway to kitchen.

I know it is all based on personal preference, I was just wondering if I can get some Pro's and Cons from all of you and also what you think that would probably cost me at my DC appointment.

Thank you an advance.

Connaught Terrace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:28 pm 

Yes, it's really a personal choice indeed.
Having just bought a Dundas as well, we're sticking with what is on the Floor plan in terms of hardwood in hallway.
Here are my two cents:
Main reason is that the cost outweighs the fact that, to me at least, it really doesn't look bad. In our current home, we have tile from foyer to kitchen -but we have a straight hallway to kitchen/eating area. Also, the problem I see is that the round part of the coffered ceiling toward the hallway where the pillars are at each end in the dining-room, will attract my eye when I keep seeing a straight line of tile where dining-room and hallway meet. Hope you know what I mean. Unless you plan to have the tile blend round to match the roundness of the coffered ceiling - but then not sure how that will look.
Again, I may be wrong about and it may look nicer your way - but for me, I would spend that money on something else like archways. Anybody know how much those cost now?
BTW - You may receive your Design book soon since you close before us - do you mind sharing some upgrade costs?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:21 pm 

JeepMomma2015 wrote:
Yes, it's really a personal choice indeed.
Having just bought a Dundas as well, we're sticking with what is on the Floor plan in terms of hardwood in hallway.
Here are my two cents:
Main reason is that the cost outweighs the fact that, to me at least, it really doesn't look bad. In our current home, we have tile from foyer to kitchen -but we have a straight hallway to kitchen/eating area. Also, the problem I see is that the round part of the coffered ceiling toward the hallway where the pillars are at each end in the dining-room, will attract my eye when I keep seeing a straight line of tile where dining-room and hallway meet. Hope you know what I mean. Unless you plan to have the tile blend round to match the roundness of the coffered ceiling - but then not sure how that will look.
Again, I may be wrong about and it may look nicer your way - but for me, I would spend that money on something else like archways. Anybody know how much those cost now?
BTW - You may receive your Design book soon since you close before us - do you mind sharing some upgrade costs?

Hi JeepMomma2015,

Yes the cost is definitley going to be a key factor for us. We did find out that the tile would arch with the dinning room and it is actually very attractive. My main concern with not doing it is simply because its a hightraffic area and also because I do not know how the breakup would look as tile would then continue into the kitchen.

Which street and lot were you again?

As soon as I get my book i will definitley be in communication no problem.

Connaught Terrace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:31 pm 

Hi Rosa
Yeah so then visualizing this again, if they curve it to match the coffered ceiling in the diningroom, I don't think it would look bad at all. For me, straight line tile in that section would look a bit out of place. Also, leading to the kitchen shouldn't be a problem either - it will all tie in nicely for sure. Would look good I think.
Of course now, the bigger question is the cost.
We're lot 6.
Thanks, would appreciate early peek at the book. DC are now telling me early May. *fingers crossed*

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:47 pm 

My parents did that... I dont think they've ever regretted it. It's handy to be able to go from the front door to the back yard without having to step on hardwood with shoes.... Also if the he tile is breaking up two areas of hardwood, if anything were to ever happen to the wood floor, you wouldn't have to replace the entire floor.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:53 pm 

Hi Rosaj2,

I have taken the option of tile in lieu of hardwood wood floor, and they did curved it to match coffered ceiling. I am trying to attach the picture, I hope I get successful, otherwise pm me your email ID, I will email you.

Best Regards,

Buttsop

Attachments:
20150504_160100 (360x640).jpg
20150504_160100 (360x640).jpg [ 111.53 KiB | Viewed 3044 times ]
20150504_160044 (640x360).jpg
20150504_160044 (640x360).jpg [ 86.07 KiB | Viewed 3044 times ]
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:03 pm 

Another look from the other angle, hope you don't have to visualize any more. :)

Regards,

Buttsop

Attachments:
20150504_160251 (640x360).jpg
20150504_160251 (640x360).jpg [ 118.39 KiB | Viewed 3044 times ]
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:12 pm 

Wow. That does look nice. I like the way they positioned the base of the pillars as well. The upper cabinets in the Butlers servery are a nice addition - wasn't really thinking of that but it looks good. You must be getting so excited about moving in. What elevation did you choose? If you don't mind, I would love to see more pictures. (can you PM me some?)
Thank you

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:51 pm 

LovelyThanks4Asking wrote:
My parents did that... I dont think they've ever regretted it. It's handy to be able to go from the front door to the back yard without having to step on hardwood with shoes.... Also if the he tile is breaking up two areas of hardwood, if anything were to ever happen to the wood floor, you wouldn't have to replace the entire floor.

Great points!

Connaught Terrace

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:54 pm 

Buttsop wrote:
Another look from the other angle, hope you don't have to visualize any more. :)

Regards,

Buttsop

Thats great thank you so much for going out of your way to show me these.

Can you please let me know how much they charged for that?

Connaught Terrace

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:05 pm 

JeepMomma2015 wrote:
Wow. That does look nice. I like the way they positioned the base of the pillars as well. The upper cabinets in the Butlers servery are a nice addition - wasn't really thinking of that but it looks good. You must be getting so excited about moving in. What elevation did you choose? If you don't mind, I would love to see more pictures. (can you PM me some?)
Thank you

We chose English Manor as an elevation.
I will post pics in the model specific post

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:08 pm 

Buttsop wrote:
JeepMomma2015 wrote:
Thank you

We chose English Manor as an elevation.
I will post pics in the model specific post

We choose the same, we clearly have very similar tastes lol!

Connaught Terrace

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:32 pm 

@ rosaj2, yup think so ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:48 pm 

Buttsop,

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:06 pm 

In many Mattamy built homes the floor is structurally stronger where they install tile and weaker where they install hardwood and carpet. You can check this from the basement. The joists / I-beams may be much closer together where tile is installed and farther apart where there is hardwood and carpet.

In other words - the sub floor may not be strong enough to support ceramic tile.