HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:41 am 

Has anyone done this or have any suggestions?

We'd like to make a second laundry room directly below what we're getting on the main floor. The house isn't built yet and we haven't approached the builder about roughing one in for us, so not sure which is the easiest route.

We've macgyvered one into our current house (older home), so know how to make it work, but it would be nice if someone might have a cheat in a new construction home :)

We have the option to move the laundry to the basement for $300 so I'm not sure which would be easiest to tap into... have them move it to the basement and tap the lines up or keep it where it is and hope the drain runs somewhere near where we want the second laundry room and tap into it there?

I also don't want to be drilling through tiled floors and an extrior wall so not sure which is the best route to take...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:57 pm 

Definitely easier to move something into an unfinished basement then the other way around. We're also going to be adding a 2nd laundry room into the basement. I don't see it being an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 pm 

is this for an illegal basement apartment? Why the hell would you want 2 laundry rooms?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:58 am 

Leopard wrote:
is this for an illegal basement apartment? Why the hell would you want 2 laundry rooms?

Because as a woman I don't feel I'm living up to my full potential having just one laundry room lol what difference does it make why I want two?
...but if it helps you sleep at night, no, it isn't for a basement apartment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:33 am 

Not sure why you'd think it would be an illegal apartment but anyway. No it's not for that. It's because I have small children and the upstairs laundry room won't work for me for now (due to noise) but it is a great resale feature and one day I might like it up there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:39 am 

Have you asked how much it would be for both laundry rooms.
I am sure they must have an upgrade price to install both laundry rooms for you
It's probably not very expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:47 am 

If you already have laundry upstairs, then you can have Mattamy have the connections for Laundry in the basement and you pay about $500.00.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:50 am 

Carl wrote:
If you already have laundry upstairs, then you can have Mattamy have the connections for Laundry in the basement and you pay about $500.00.

Carl is right. We paid to have the connections for the washer and dryer in the basement as well. Beats paying to have the laundry room relocated to the basement.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:59 am 

We moved the laundry room to the bsmt and I use the 2nd floor (ex-laundry room) as my office which I am so happy with... Our reasons were the noise from having the machines on 2nd floor even with having the most sophisticated and high end brands and the major reason because Mattamy wouldn't install a floor drain...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:08 pm 

WRX04 wrote:
We moved the laundry room to the bsmt and I use the 2nd floor (ex-laundry room) as my office which I am so happy with... Our reasons were the noise from having the machines on 2nd floor even with having the most sophisticated and high end brands and the major reason because Mattamy wouldn't install a floor drain...

Exact two reasons I had Mattamy put an additional walk in closet to move the laundry to the basement.

Also the wash basin would have still been in the basement with our layout...which was not ideal.

Closing August 2014

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:22 pm 

The design book says $302 to "relocate laundry tub and connections within or to the basement as indicated on the design drawings or standard plans" but I'm assuming that's in lieu of the main floor connections.
Ever since I learned to use a pex crimper, I'm morally opposed to paying anything more than the price of a crimp ring to "relocate" plumbing LOL (and yes I'm aware of the costs involved for a contractor and they're more than justified in their costs, but if I can do it, why spend money?) :wink:
...but that's assuming the plumbing is where I'd like it to be... I was curious if Mattamy would throw a wrench in it by running the drain pipes along the ceiling or something.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:33 pm 

Hello,

We are a local, licensed and insured Plumbing company that specializes in a your plumbing needs. We offer competitive pricing and free estimates. Give us a call if you'd like to set up an consultation.

Regards,
Fausto Reale
FDR Plumbing and Drain Services
647-226-2649
Fdrplumbing.ca

Post subject: want 3
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:10 pm 

Sold

Last edited by lancaster on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:07 pm 

No matter which way you choose to do it, its not that hard to incorporate it in the basement. As for breaking up the concrete, its not a big issue and all plumbers know its part of any rough in application no matter the reason. The concrete is only 3-4 inches thick and breaks with a sledge hammer easily. Not a costly adventure if you decide.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:17 am 

Is there a permit required to relocate the laundry to the basement? I am planning to do the same in order to have a nice mud room in the existing laundry location that leads out to the garage.
Relocating the laundry to the basement will create some space to have a nice walk-in mudroom to hang jackets and store away shoes etc..