HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hardwood in Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:58 am 

I am tempted to do hardwood in the kitchen. I see it in a lot of modern homes and it opens up the space, but am concerned about the durability and practicality of it. Does anyone have any comments, maybe you've had hardwood in the kitchen? Does it add value to the home?

Post subject: Re: Hardwood in Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:39 am 

i did hardwood throughout my entire floor except the bathroom.
got rid of the hardwood in the front foyer and kitchen, i personally think it looks much nicer then having tiles.
i have not had any issues with durability or water (kitchen) warping or doing damage to the floors. mind you i don't spill water on the floors very often and if i do i just wipe it up right away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:45 pm 

We opted for it in our home.. if you put a large mat or something in front of the sink area, you should be fine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:04 pm 

We did it in our home. We are very excited and find it looks amazing in comparison to tile. Keep in mind that the hardwood mattamy is coming is engineered so it should be more durable.

Connaught Terrace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:37 pm 

I also will have hardwood throughout the main floor including kitchen! And I agree I love the way it looks, we are going with a distressed hardwood, so hopefully it will help hide any knicks that may happen over the years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:29 pm 

We have hardwood in the kitchen (hand scraped) and it's not really any different than tile. I personally like the look of hardwood better and we joke that it's handy having a fridge in the living room now, or that it's convenient that we put a couch in the kitchen because there is no real separation in flooring anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:31 pm 

We chose hardwood for our kitchen, but haven't yet closed on our home. We opted for hardwood for the same reasons mentioned; makes the space appear larger/extends rooms, looks modern, etc. The Mattamy model homes in Oakville feature hardwood in the kitchen. Touring those opened us up to the idea. Our families both warned against it because the kitchen is a high traffic area and susceptible to spills and dropped items. Our household is just 2 adults, so we don't anticipate excessive abuse to the floors (ie: no kids dropping things, etc). Good luck with your decision :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:27 am 

We also did hardwood in our kitchen, and I'm so excited to see how it looks (hopefully closing Apr '16). My husband and I weren't big fans of tiles so we opted for one of the distressed wood's Mattamy had. Hopefully that helps with any scratches as another poster mentioned. We plan on being very diligent with spills, so hopefully it won't affect the flooring.

We are in a rear lane so our foyer is on the ground floor, but decided to remove the tiles from there as well and replace it with laminate to match the rest of that floor. We plan on having a rug during the wet/winter months to avoid any damage there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:09 am 

We have hardwood in our kitchen and we love it. Our house is a Windmere and it really opens up the house and is a smooth transition to the Great Room. Not hard to maintain either. Just use a padded floor mat by the sink, and wipe any water or spills sooner than later. Oh, and make sure you put felt pads under the feet of your chairs/table.

A word of advice: Don't get obsessed with the condition of the hardwood either.

It'll get dings, bumps. and hopefully only minor scratches...all of this is unavoidable. We have an almost 2 year old and the hardwood in the kitchen is holding up fine.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:00 am 

We just closed and we're thinking of doing the same thing!
I know it varies a lot by your tiled area size, but could anyone give me a ballpark of how much this would cost for an 11'x14' kitchen?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:43 pm 

Sting wrote:
We just closed and we're thinking of doing the same thing!
I know it varies a lot by your tiled area size, but could anyone give me a ballpark of how much this would cost for an 11'x14' kitchen?

Thank you!

It would cost a lot to do after closing... You'd have to remove your entire kitchen and start again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:00 am 

Sorry, I meant to say purchased, not closed. We will have our design appointment in a few months. Just wanted to get an idea of how much the design centre will charge to make a 11'x14' area of tile be hardwood instead?
I know prices will always go up but if anyone has recent pricing please let me know!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:39 pm 

It totally depends on the shape of the room unfortunately. We did our whole house in the same hardwood and tile, some areas cost 3x more than others to do exactly the same tile or hardwood in the same house. It seemed to go down a lot though per square foot the bigger the area was... I guess a lot of the calculations take into consideration the amount of waste around the edges.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:25 pm 

Just estimate all your big ticket items around $5000. Some will fall under and some will be over in the end you will be about par.

Hardwood 5000.
Granite 5000
Glass shower 5000

I bet these 3 items will come out to 15000. Our vacations too $5000, no matter what we do to try to cheap out a vacation for 3 is always seems to be 5 to 6 thousand.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:11 am 

Hello,
Was wondering if anybody has gone with the Gotham hand scrapped hardwood? If so, what are your thoughts?

Going into our design appt. we were going with the Baroque hand scrapped but ended up choosing the Gotham.
Keep second guessing myself and I only have one more day to make changes.

HSV / Phase 6
Hawkesbury / English Manor
Closing August 2017