HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:46 pm 

Hello all,

I would like to know if mattamy allowed a home inspector along with the owner to visit the site on the framewalk and the the pre-delivery. And also my own contractor to do the measurement.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:31 am 

I got a response from my coordinator

"You are more than welcome to bring an inspector during the PDI, they will have to sign a waiver. For the Framewalk, we only allow those who are on the Agreement of Purchase and Sale + spouse (if not on the APS). You can visit the home during the final stages with a contractor to take measurements. I would be able to schedule that with your builder when the time comes."

"For the visit with a contractor, we would only permit one visit based on your builders availability. They are also welcome to come during the Pre-Delivery Inspection"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:13 pm 

Smart - make sure the build goes well as everything should be sound. I did the same thing with my new construction build.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:29 pm 

Milton83 wrote:
Smart - make sure the build goes well as everything should be sound. I did the same thing with my new construction build.

Did you also did the inspection after you move in? I am planning to do that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:48 am 

What kind of time frame do you get on your PDI? I'm thinking if it's not enough time for an inspector to do a thorough investigation. I wouldn't want them to rush anything just because time is running out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:43 pm 

Mattamy's "waver" that you mentioned is a "code of conduct" contract that requires that an inspector who is there to help you "must remain silent" until the end of the PDI. As a result of this immature and ridiculous requirement I will not, unless my arm is twisted, attend any PDI's at Mattamy built homes. Tarion rules specifically state that you can take who ever you want to the PDI but Tarion's lame ombudsman decided that requiring that the inspector remain silent / not speak is acceptable because after all, the home is still owned by the builder.

Much of this stupidity is a result of a foolish so called "home inspector" who, a few years ago started her little inspection business after she was let go or quit from Mattamy. This disgruntled so called "inspector" started helping people with their PDI's and at a number of PDI's arguments ensued between the Mattamy Reps and her making the whole process a nightmare for the new home buyers. IMO, and making matters worse, the PDI reps from Mattamy at that time also behaved poorly. The whole thing was a mess.

The bottom line is that the PDI is NOT a "Home Inspection" nor is it the time to do a "home inspection. It is a cosmetic inspection and your opportunity to confirm you got you upgrades. It is NOT the time to concern yourself with insulation, HVAC operation, structure, etc, etc, etc,,,,.

Based on the feedback I get, and I have been told a number of times, that Mattamy uses lots of lines to calm you like "everything is covered", or "everything has been inspected", but that is not the case and you need to know your rights and protect yourself.

IMO, and I am sorry to say, but buying one of these homes without having it inspected by a highly qualified and experienced new home warranty inspector is a foolish mistake. Knowledge is power and understanding your home, how it operates, and actually knowing what is really wrong with a home is what a proper new home warranty inspection is all about. IMO you should also keep in mind that most builders PDI Reps, while very nice and seemingly helpful, have a very limited knowledge on anything beyond the basics.

LINK > Before your PDI take some time to study Tarions Construction Performance Guidelines. It will help you identify issues that need to be found during the PDI.

BELOW - I wrote this long ago......

Quote:

Should I take a Home Inspector to the PDI?

This is a great question. Even most Home Inspectors get this one wrong.

Here is my answer.

You could take a Home Inspector with you for your PDI, but NOT for a Home Inspection.

A home inspection is a specific process. It is a top to bottom complete examination of the home and the functional equipment in the home. In order to benefit from your Home Inspection, you will need to live in, and use the house for at least 25 days.

The purpose of the PDI is for your builder to show you your new home in it's completed state, and to make note of scratches, dents, chips, or any other damage to counters, floors, doors, walls, cabinets, cupboards, mirrors, toilets, tubs, windows, glass, etc. It IS NOT the time to do a complete home inspection as your builder, who owns the home during the PDI is not required to allow a Home Inspector to crawl around the roof, open the furnace or electrical panels, examine the attic etc. This can and should be done later.

The Builders Rep is responsible for, and controls the PDI process. It usually takes one hour for every 1000 square feet.

Note everything that is incomplete, damaged, and items that are in good condition. Note areas that are dirty as this dirt, IE- on a hardwood floor, will make it impossible to do a thorough inspection of that floor.

Before your PDI, review the Construction Performance Guidelines on Tarion's website for all issues that will not be covered after the PDI if not detected during the PDI.

Be very diligent and carefully examine all hardwood floors and stairways. Not just for damage like chips and scratches, but also for cupping or crowning.

If after you move in, you notice a dent on your front door and a big scratch on the hardwood floor, then you have a problem. Even if this damage was not done while moving in, it is still, at this point, not covered by the builder and they will not be required to fix it unless you can prove that the damage was there during the PDI.

During the PDI, take your list of upgrades, a digital camera, and a notepad. DO NOT take children. The PDI is not the time to show friends or family the home.

Our company, Halton Home Inspection Service has developed our own unique service called PDI Assist. For information on this service visit our website at http://www.haltoninspections.com or call us by phone.

Andy Shaw - 905 876 4761

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:26 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
Mattamy's "waver" that you mentioned is a "code of conduct" contract that requires that an inspector who is there to help you "must remain silent" until the end of the PDI. As a result of this immature and ridiculous requirement I will not, unless my arm is twisted, attend any PDI's at Mattamy built homes. Tarion rules specifically state that you can take who ever you want to the PDI but Tarion's lame ombudsman decided that requiring that the inspector remain silent / not speak is acceptable because after all, the home is still owned by the builder.

Much of this stupidity is a result of a foolish so called "home inspector" who, a few years ago started her little inspection business after she was let go or quit from Mattamy. This disgruntled so called "inspector" started helping people with their PDI's and at a number of PDI's arguments ensued between the Mattamy Reps and her making the whole process a nightmare for the new home buyers. IMO, and making matters worse, the PDI reps from Mattamy at that time also behaved poorly. The whole thing was a mess.

The bottom line is that the PDI is NOT a "Home Inspection" nor is it the time to do a "home inspection. It is a cosmetic inspection and your opportunity to confirm you got you upgrades. It is NOT the time to concern yourself with insulation, HVAC operation, structure, etc, etc, etc,,,,.

Based on the feedback I get, and I have been told a number of times, that Mattamy uses lots of lines to calm you like "everything is covered", or "everything has been inspected", but that is not the case and you need to know your rights and protect yourself.

IMO, and I am sorry to say, but buying one of these homes without having it inspected by a highly qualified and experienced new home warranty inspector is a foolish mistake. Knowledge is power and understanding your home, how it operates, and actually knowing what is really wrong with a home is what a proper new home warranty inspection is all about. IMO you should also keep in mind that most builders PDI Reps, while very nice and seemingly helpful, have a very limited knowledge on anything beyond the basics.

Before your PDI take some time to study Tarions Construction Performance Guidelines. It will help you identify issues that need to be found during the PDI.

BELOW - I wrote this long ago.

Quote:

Should I take a Home Inspector to the PDI?

This is a great question. Even most Home Inspectors get this one wrong.

Here is my answer.

You could take a Home Inspector with you for your PDI, but NOT for a Home Inspection.

A home inspection is a specific process. It is a top to bottom complete examination of the home and the functional equipment in the home. In order to benefit from your Home Inspection, you will need to live in, and use the house for at least 25 days.

The purpose of the PDI is for your builder to show you your new home in it's completed state, and to make note of scratches, dents, chips, or any other damage to counters, floors, doors, walls, cabinets, cupboards, mirrors, toilets, tubs, windows, glass, etc. It IS NOT the time to do a complete home inspection as your builder, who owns the home during the PDI is not required to allow a Home Inspector to crawl around the roof, open the furnace or electrical panels, examine the attic etc. This can and should be done later.

The Builders Rep is responsible for, and controls the PDI process. It usually takes one hour for every 1000 square feet.

Note everything that is incomplete, damaged, and items that are in good condition. Note areas that are dirty as this dirt, IE- on a hardwood floor, will make it impossible to do a thorough inspection of that floor.

Before your PDI, review the Construction Performance Guidelines on Tarion's website for all issues that will not be covered after the PDI if not detected during the PDI.

Be very diligent and carefully examine all hardwood floors and stairways. Not just for damage like chips and scratches, but also for cupping or crowning.

If after you move in, you notice a dent on your front door and a big scratch on the hardwood floor, then you have a problem. Even if this damage was not done while moving in, it is still, at this point, not covered by the builder and they will not be required to fix it unless you can prove that the damage was there during the PDI.

During the PDI, take your list of upgrades, a digital camera, and a notepad. DO NOT take children. The PDI is not the time to show friends or family the home.

Our company, Halton Home Inspection Service has developed our own unique service called PDI Assist. For information on this service visit our website at http://www.haltoninspections.com or call us by phone.

Andy Shaw - 905 876 4761

thank you! this is very informative and very helpful