HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: garage size
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:32 pm 

Has anyone been able to request a larger garage size as a structural upgrade??
I would love to have just a few extra ft.

Post subject: Re: garage size
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:38 pm 

There's NO WAY Mattamy will do that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:23 pm 

This is unrealistic . Mattamy is not a custom home builder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:06 am 

its funny how many people come out defending mattamy.
Even non custom builders can accommodate small changes. Mattamy is on cloud 9 for some reason.
And they have their people on these forums.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:47 am 

oceanguard wrote:
Even non custom builders can accommodate small changes. Mattamy is on cloud 9 for some reason.

Making the garage Larger is not a "small change" A wider garage will require a wider lot and/or a totally new floor plan. Structural changes will be required for this type of change. This would include changing the footings, weight load bearing of span of new garaged floor space, and roof span changes of the rafters this would lead roof line and slopes to be changed, eaves droughts...

Then this would all need to be sent to an architect for approval, then submitted and approved by the Town of Milton... Does it still sound like a small change?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:32 am 

oceanguard wrote:

You've definitely not been on this forum for very long if you think everyone is pro-Mattamy. And like it has been said, changing the garage size is not a small thing. Plus I'm sure the original poster didn't realize that they would be losing square footage inside the house if they were able to make the change. Something I'm sure they wouldn't want.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:34 am 

Wow, I didn't realize it would be a major change. Thanks for explaining. I guess I can still dream. Looks like I've inadvertently stirred up some "Mattamy emotions". :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:48 am 

crazyfurniture wrote:
Looks like I've inadvertently stirred up some "Mattamy emotions". :shock:

Lol... It doesn't take much, sometimes this forum can be an exciting playground.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:12 pm 

Mattamy didn't even entertain our inquiry for brick color options YET my neighbor across us with the same model & trim have a different brick color that we liked.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:18 pm 

spena wrote:
Mattamy didn't even entertain our inquiry for brick color options YET my neighbor across us with the same model & trim have a different brick color that we liked.

Yes again they are under town guidelines they are not allowed to have same brick color or model beside each other. I believe brick color have to be 3 doors from each other. Same model can be 1 door over but has to be a different elevation. Mattamy Brick our house the wrong color, I was will to accept the mistake for a crap load of free upgrades, but turned out they bricked my house same brick that my neighbor had picked. So they had to tear it all down.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:44 pm 

justagirl wrote:
spena wrote:

Yes again they are under town guidelines they are not allowed to have same brick color or model beside each other. I believe brick color have to be 3 doors from each other. Same model can be 1 door over but has to be a different elevation. Mattamy Brick our house the wrong color, I was will to accept the mistake for a crap load of free upgrades, but turned out they bricked my house same brick that my neighbor had picked. So they had to tear it all down.

No, the town does not control brick colour. That's a Mattamy thing, to have every home look different. There are developments in Milton by Arista for example, where red brick is king.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:35 pm 

If I could make my garage bigger that would be the first thing I would do!! Haha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:21 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
justagirl wrote:
spena wrote:

No, the town does not control brick colour. That's a Mattamy thing, to have every home look different. There are developments in Milton by Arista for example, where red brick is king.

Wow... Its a Mattamy thing. I am surprised they did not let me keep it then, it cost them a lot of money to take my brick down and re-brick it. Then they had to replace every single window in my house cause they scratched them all with the falling bricks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:24 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:

Old post but; of course this is a city thing

Since you mention Arista, they were FORCED to put the all red brick along main road for appearance
That was against what they wanted to do
If you notice the other homes have far more non-red colours which usually sell better

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:48 pm 

No option to choose brick even on 43 feet lot. Mattamy control it like a dictator :(