HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Design book
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:52 am 

Here a few "little" additions, we added to our home, you may want to consider some of them, I did not include any big upgrades they are just little basic ones you may not think of. This was 6 years ago so some things may have changed.

* Relocate existing hose bib to front of garage (I hate it at the back)
* Add an extra hose bib near the front of your home, this enables watering the front gardens with ease also gives you and extra bib to set up a sprinkler system.
* Delete front door light and install a pot light, gives an even overall light and makes it easy to add more pot lights to front porch after close.
* Install a marble seat in the shower
* Install extra light box over soaker tub, in master en suit, this is to hang small chandelier. Add an extra switch so you can dim it.
* Add lights in coat closets
* Add ceiling light in den
* Delete bulk heads
* Delete 3" lip on laminate counter top, this allows you to install back splash flush with counter top. If you are not splurging on granite right away.
* Extra lighting in halls and other spaces I find builders never puts enough lights.
* Do gas line for BBQ after close, this enables you to chose the location. Sometimes the builder puts it in awkward places for patio's. (but do upgrade to 1 inch gas line into home, for more then on appliance)
* If you buy AC be sure you know where they are installing them. They have been known to installing them in awkward places like the back yard. They are very noisy and hard to hide. Best place is on side of home as far away from windows as possible.
* Central Vac rough into garage not basement. Makes for easy emptying of the tank and less noise if you are planning to finish your basement.
* Faux doors on front of kitchen Island cabinets.
* Two extra outside light on back of house (for patio or deck)
* Add 4 way switch & wall outlet that will turn on bedside lamps beside the bed, and another switch to turn the lamps off above night stands/beside the beds
* Add wall outlets where your family room lamps would be with additional switch to turn on lamps at room entrance. This allows lamps to be turned on when entering/exiting the room rather then going to each lamp and turning them on.
* If you choose the den option add floor outlet under your desk to plug computer into.
* Be sure the chandelier socket is re-enforced if you are planing to install a heavy one.

Enjoy your selections.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:29 pm 

Anyone who ordered 9ft ceilings on the second floor, what is the height of the closet sliders in the bedrooms? Is it 80in or 90in?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:52 am 

Does anyone happen to know the address/location for the Oakville model homes? I want to take a look see at some of the upgrades/options.

Current closing May 2017

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:10 am 

They are on Dundas, I went to them last year and just followed the "Mattamy" signs lol

I think this is the actual address - 1388 Dundas Street West, Oakville L6M 4L8

Firm Closing Date: September 14, 2017

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:15 am 

lalexa wrote:
They are on Dundas, I went to them last year and just followed the "Mattamy" signs lol

ohhh! so its integrated with the Oakville sales center? Went in there long time ago but didn't realize its also their model home.

Thanks!

Current closing May 2017

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:06 pm 

McHammer wrote:
lalexa wrote:

ohhh! so its integrated with the Oakville sales center? Went in there long time ago but didn't realize its also their model home.

Thanks!

The model homes are at the back of the sales office, they have four.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:11 pm 

McHammer,
you might want to go check out the model homes in Kitchener. The homes are more in line with what is offered in Milton. They are a about the same size that we have in Milton as well. Just gives another perspective. We went to both Oakville and Kitchener and we found it very helpful since not everything in the Kitchener are upgrades.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:10 pm 

rox272 wrote:
McHammer,
you might want to go check out the model homes in Kitchener. The homes are more in line with what is offered in Milton. They are a about the same size that we have in Milton as well. Just gives another perspective. We went to both Oakville and Kitchener and we found it very helpful since not everything in the Kitchener are upgrades.

Thanks for the info rox272

Current closing May 2017

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:09 am 

Heads up per Mattamy's website the Kitchener model homes may be closed but they have videos of their model homes on their site in case that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:58 am 

I just got my design book and we want to get the glass shower enclosure. There are 2 of them in the book for the 8 ft ceiling but one is just over $2000 and the other is just over $3000. Does anybody know the difference? I was reading both descriptions and they sound the same.
They have codes but I didn't bring my book with me. :)

TIA

HSV / Phase 6
Hawkesbury / English Manor
Closing August 2017

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:17 am 

k_moreira2017 wrote:
I just got my design book and we want to get the glass shower enclosure. There are 2 of them in the book for the 8 ft ceiling but one is just over $2000 and the other is just over $3000. Does anybody know the difference? I was reading both descriptions and they sound the same.

TIA

Not sure how many architectural options your home came with, but could one price be for the standing shower only layout, and one could be for the bath oasis layout?

I noticed for the double sink vanity there were two prices, and they seemed the same and realized one was for the standard layout, and another was if you upgraded to one of the other structural differences

Firm Closing Date: September 14, 2017

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:28 am 

lalexa wrote:
k_moreira2017 wrote:

TIA

Not sure how many architectural options your home came with, but could one price be for the standing shower only layout, and one could be for the bath oasis layout?

I noticed for the double sink vanity there were two prices, and they seemed the same and realized one was for the standard layout, and another was if you upgraded to one of the other structural differences

Ya that makes sense. Thanks! Just wish that would put that in the description. We got the super shower so I'm hoping it's the one just over $2000 LOL!

HSV / Phase 6
Hawkesbury / English Manor
Closing August 2017

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:37 pm 

cranberyhill wrote:
The design center is the only way that Mattamy actually makes any reasonable profit out of the entire constructions process.

This is not true at all. From a reliable source, Mattamy's average margin per house built/sold is close to 100%.
To make it easy, a house that costs them $300k to build is sold for over $600k (very rough example).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:42 pm 

linda776 wrote:
cranberyhill wrote:
The design center is the only way that Mattamy actually makes any reasonable profit out of the entire constructions process.

This is not true at all. From a reliable source, Mattamy's average margin per house built/sold is close to 100%.
To make it easy, a house that costs them $300k to build is sold for over $600k (very rough example).

Exactly - the only reason the upgrades are expensive is because they essentially have you by the balls at that point - you are locked into a contract and cannot upgrade without them - no competition = higher prices.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:18 pm 

is it a good idea to get kitchen backsplash and garage door opener from design center?
I am looking at garage opener and difference is small. After market is $400 and Mattamy has it for $600.