HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 43  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:29 am 

What would be the best course of action when getting Natural Oak and stairs to get to a dark stain.
Would asking the builder to leave floors bare plywood and stairs unstained be the easiest way ?
That way we could pick the floor we want and stain the stairs the same color.

Would the builder even allow to leave the stairs unstained ?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:04 pm 

M4rtin wrote:
What would be the best course of action when getting Natural Oak and stairs to get to a dark stain.
Would asking the builder to leave floors bare plywood and stairs unstained be the easiest way ?
That way we could pick the floor we want and stain the stairs the same color.

Would the builder even allow to leave the stairs unstained ?

Yes that would be the easiest if they agreed to leave just plywood but I doubt they will but worth to ask. If you are getting standard hardwood trough the builder, it's easier to just upgrade the stain with them unless they will credit you which I doubt they will.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:49 am 

patrob,

I have tiles in the hallway and kitchen and carpet for the rest of area in the main floor. How involved is it to rip out tile and replace with hardwood. I'd like to replace the tile in the hallway with Hardwood.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:38 pm 

after watching some videos on the subject I decided to skip the tile removal idea all together. It's a very labor intensive and messy process.

I've narrowed down my hardwood selection to Mirage or Vintage solid hardwood. What are your thoughts on Vintage vs Mirage?

Last edited by Barley Man on Wed May 29, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:55 pm 

Barley Man wrote:
patrob,

I have tiles in the hallway and kitchen and carpet for the rest of area in the main floor. How involved is it to rip out tile and replace with hardwood. I'd like to replace the tile in the hallway with Hardwood.

Barley Man wrote:
after watching some videos on the subject I decided to skip the tile removal idea all together. It's a very labor intensive and messy process.

I've narrowed down my hardwood selection to Mirage or Vintage solid hardwood. What are your thoughts on Vintage vs Mirage?

-Fahmy

Yes it's very messy removing tiles :mrgreen: Who's your builder? Are they not letting you install carpet in the hallway?? Both products are very good, just depends what colour you like best. Which colour/species have you narrowed down to?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:52 pm 

I need Hardwood installation with carpet removal and sanding of a 3000 sq ft house. Please recommend some good Contractor.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:45 pm 

Builder is Mattamy, I bought the house years ago and we didn't think we'd be putting HW in the hallway back then.
In terms color species, I've narrowed it down to Maple Sierra from Mirage. I think it matches our stair stain the closest.

Can you recommend a good place to buy Mirage flooring?

Last edited by Barley Man on Thu May 30, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:19 pm 

Can you recommend a place for good quality / price hardwood? I hear different things about Brampton Hardwood, so don't want to risk it, even though we like the color and the price. I liked the Honey Maple Java by Continental Designs.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:55 pm 

jaguar wrote:
Can you recommend a place for good quality / price hardwood? I hear different things about Brampton Hardwood, so don't want to risk it, even though we like the color and the price. I liked the Honey Maple Java by Continental Designs.

Let's just say I don't have too many good things to say about BH.  If you are looking for a quality product, looks elsewhere! Continental Designs is their in house brand so they like to push that product for obvious reasons!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:00 pm 

Barley Man wrote:
Builder is Mattamy, I bought the house years ago and we didn't think we'd be putting HW in the hallway back then.
In terms color species, I've narrowed it down to Maple Sierra from Mirage. I think it matches our stair stain the closest.

Can you recommend a good place to buy Mirage flooring?

You can try to match with other brands as long as the colour matches close but you will pay more $ for Mirage. You can find a dealer list on their website, don't really have a place to recommend for Mirage.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:19 am 

@Barley Man;

You can contact Mark @Milton Flooring Gallery. They are Mirage dealer and a Mattamy's official contractor. They did our whole house after closing for a very attractive price.

Milton Flooring Gallery
2880 Argentia Rd Unit 10
Mississauga, ON L5N 7X8
(905) 858-2883
http://www.miltonflooringgallery.ca/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:49 am 

I'd like to mention that the guy at core flooring had quite an attitude when we walked in. Was not even willing to come over to the house and give me an estimate. Was not even friendly to talk to. We just left in 5 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:36 am 

I need help deciding hardwood. I have already bought some red oak hardwood from HD but I am second guessing my choice. I am leaning towards a hickory and maple. What are your thoughts? I know they both have different characteristics.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:09 am 

KJT wrote:
I need help deciding hardwood. I have already bought some red oak hardwood from HD but I am second guessing my choice. I am leaning towards a hickory and maple. What are your thoughts? I know they both have different characteristics.
Thanks

If your stairs are oak, then oak or hickory would match the wood grain best. Maple has a smooth finish so will show damages faster if you have kids/pets. Which colour matches your stairs best? Are you installing the floors yourself? What's your budget for the wood and what colour are you trying to match to?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:15 am 

jaguar wrote:
I'd like to mention that the guy at core flooring had quite an attitude when we walked in. Was not even willing to come over to the house and give me an estimate. Was not even friendly to talk to. We just left in 5 minutes.

Sorry to hear that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 43  Next