HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:49 am 

Sal wrote:
Hi,
Wow what an awesome thread! I posted a hardwood question under a separate topic cause I hadn't seen this one. Wondering bout your thoughts on colours by vintage
Buckingham , Gotham or barouque?
Hand scrapped or smooth?

Thanks for your effort in all these responses.

Sorry for delayed reply, just now saw your question :)

We have Baroque installed in our house so I guess I am biased to that colour lol but Gotham is also very popular choice. Some people don't like the gray colour tones of Gotham & others prefer the classic dark brown. Buckingham is a little less popular & has more reddish/orange under tone & has a more "traditional" look IMO. It all really boils down to personal preference, if you are going for more modern look, go with Gotham or Baroque. If you have kids/pets I strongly recommend handscraped.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:35 am 

Hey do you have any thoughts or suggestions when it comes to installing hardwood in the kitchen?
Is there a type of hardwood that's more suitable for a kitchen vs another type?
I'm guessing that I would want a more durable, solid wood for if/when things drop on it to limit scratches and dents.
Is water damage also a major concern?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:04 pm 

romey wrote:
Hey do you have any thoughts or suggestions when it comes to installing hardwood in the kitchen?
Is there a type of hardwood that's more suitable for a kitchen vs another type?
I'm guessing that I would want a more durable, solid wood for if/when things drop on it to limit scratches and dents.
Is water damage also a major concern?

Water & wood does not mix well, there is always a higher chance of water damage in the kitchen (dishwasher/fridge water line leak). But the biggest concern is things being dropped, spilled & abrasion to the finish from crumbs etc. There is no wood on the market that will hide every damage but more grainy species like oak or hickory in lower sheen will hide damage better rather than smooth semi-gloss maple. Distressed or handscraped hardwood will be more durable at "hiding" damages better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:20 am 

By any chance do you have any pics of a dark grey or cashew hard maple flooring for customers. We bought a new home an we both can't decide on either dark grey or light brown and in maple. We currently have oak stairs and flooring in our current house and wanted to go maple this time but read feedbacks of all the damages /scratches showing more on the maple flooring. Yes we have 3 young kids, a small dog (yorkie) and a cat. Thanks again. Also does vintage scaping come in both oak and maple?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:52 pm 

CHRIS&ASHLEY wrote:
By any chance do you have any pics of a dark grey or cashew hard maple flooring for customers. We bought a new home an we both can't decide on either dark grey or light brown and in maple. We currently have oak stairs and flooring in our current house and wanted to go maple this time but read feedbacks of all the damages /scratches showing more on the maple flooring. Yes we have 3 young kids, a small dog (yorkie) and a cat. Thanks again. Also does vintage scaping come in both oak and maple?

Sorry don't have pics of the cashew colour. In general with maple you have to be more careful since damages will be showing easier than oak or hickory especially with animals & small kids :) Maple has a smooth finish unlike oak or hickory. Yes maple does come in handscraped but is not cheap!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:54 pm 

Hi, not sure if this has been asked yet or not but I thought I'd ask:

Do you need to have a humidifier or dehumidifier (installed with furnace/ac) with engineered hardwood floors? I'd like to keep the engineered hardwood in our new place looking new for as long as possible. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:11 pm 

MandMinM wrote:

Do you need to have a humidifier or dehumidifier (installed with furnace/ac) with engineered hardwood floors? I'd like to keep the engineered hardwood in our new place looking new for as long as possible. Thanks for your help.

You may not need either but you will need a hygrometer http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hygro ... 2mV01ftOOU to know what your humidity is. And if the humidity drops or rises above certain levels, then you will need to get one or the other. Your A/C acts as a dehumidifier in the summer.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:28 pm 

patrob wrote:
MandMinM wrote:

You may not need either but you will need a hygrometer http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hygro ... 2mV01ftOOU to know what your humidity is. And if the humidity drops or rises above certain levels, then you will need to get one or the other. Your A/C acts as a dehumidifier in the summer.

Thanks for your super quick reply! I'll defiantly buy the hygrometer. What is the range or level of humidity that is ideal for engineered hardwood?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:35 pm 

MandMinM wrote:
patrob wrote:
MandMinM wrote:

Thanks for your super quick reply! I'll defiantly buy the hygrometer. What is the range or level of humidity that is ideal for engineered hardwood?

Depends on the manufacturer and type of hardwood. You should see what the manufacturer recommends. But could be anywhere from 30% to 80%.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:38 am 

Hi patrob,

First off, thank you for moderating this thread - great resource and we've both learned a lot from you.

We're closing in December 2014 on our first home! It's in Brampton, Mount Pleasant phase 7.

Like many others' and your advice we're also going to be opting for the Mattamy stairs but sourcing out a vendor for after closing hardwood floors to keep costs down. Our plan is to find a vendor in parallel of closing so that we can have someone in place asap-after closing to install the hardwood floors before be move all the appliances and furniture in.

Can you provide a rough quote from a floorplan?
http://www.mattamyhomes.com/GTA/Communi ... rkston.pdf

What stain do I tell Mattamy so it can be easily matched?
We want that near-black brown - not sure if that's helpful in terms of wood but you posted an image here :
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9886

we were thinking of just doing the ground floor including kitchen and dining room.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again for a great resource for home owners!

Phase 7 - Sherkston
Mount Pleasant, Brampton

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:22 am 

Hi Patrob,

Hope you have been well !

Hoping you can provide your professional advice, 5" Vintage Handscraped White Oak in Buckingham vs Hickory Moorea Pearl.
What is your preference & do you have any pictures you can share from previous installations ?

Thanks so much :D

s

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:40 pm 

GaryPlusShirley wrote:
Hi patrob,

First off, thank you for moderating this thread - great resource and we've both learned a lot from you.

We're closing in December 2014 on our first home! It's in Brampton, Mount Pleasant phase 7.

Like many others' and your advice we're also going to be opting for the Mattamy stairs but sourcing out a vendor for after closing hardwood floors to keep costs down. Our plan is to find a vendor in parallel of closing so that we can have someone in place asap-after closing to install the hardwood floors before be move all the appliances and furniture in.

Can you provide a rough quote from a floorplan?
http://www.mattamyhomes.com/GTA/Communi ... rkston.pdf

What stain do I tell Mattamy so it can be easily matched?
We want that near-black brown - not sure if that's helpful in terms of wood but you posted an image here :
http://www.hawthornevillager.com/phpbb/ ... f=2&t=9886

we were thinking of just doing the ground floor including kitchen and dining room.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again for a great resource for home owners!

Hi:

Sorry for the delayed reply, just noticed the question now :-)

If you like the colour of that pic, choose either Espresso stain or Baroque. Both are dark brown, Espresso is slightly darker. I will send you more details soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:43 pm 

sbd wrote:
Hi Patrob,

Hope you have been well !

Hoping you can provide your professional advice, 5" Vintage Handscraped White Oak in Buckingham vs Hickory Moorea Pearl.
What is your preference & do you have any pictures you can share from previous installations ?

Thanks so much :D

s

Don't have any pics of the Moorea, fairly new colour. Will have to see if I can find any Buckingham pics. Personally I prefer darker brown colours or even Gotham is very popular.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:54 am 

Last edited by Milton83 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:11 am 

patrob wrote:
shk wrote:
Hi, Patrob. It took me a couple of days to read this whole thread and it was very useful to get some idea about hardwood floors. I was so amazed you have so many positive feedbacks from your clients.

I have a few questions about hardwood and laminate floors about my new home.
I bought Mattamy home recently in Milton and my closing day is Aug 21(hopefully no delay). My home is including hardwood floor on 1st floor with oak stairs.
I want either hardwood or laminate floor on the second floor except the laundry room, bathroom, and ensuite bath on the master bedroom because we don't like the carpet.
My home floor plan is

http://www.mattamyhomes.com/GTA/Communi ... bleton.pdf

We upgraded 4th bedroom in lieu of loft.

1. Could you give me quote for laminate floor with installation including other materials? Or how much is just installation fee if I buy laminate from somewhere like Costco or Home depot?
How is the quality of laminate floor from Costco?
2. If I choose hardwood floor like mirage or vintage brand engineered hardwood, how much is hardwood and installation fee?
3. How much is carpet removal?
4. Since my closing is on Thursday, can you start on Friday? How long does it take to install either laminate or hardwood floor?
5. Can you estimate total area to install hardwood/laminate floor based on the floor plan? (I estimated around 600ft2)

Thanks,

From past experience we rarely installed laminate on 2nd floor (mostly basements), most people go for hardwood or they leave carpets. Obviously hardwood will have better resale value vs. laminate. Costco laminate is ok, we installed it a few times but also removed it to install hardwood floors lol I will send you more info.

Hi patrob,

My questions are similar to Shk. I got the exact same model and my closing is in September 2015. I realize that hardwood holds more value than laminate but I'm curious to know the pricing for both on my second floor level. All areas need to be in hardwood/laminate besides the laundry room and both bathrooms. A low to high range for engineered hardwood and laminate would be greatly appreciated. Also a breakdown of the cost in terms of installation/labour/materials would be great too.

Another question is.. for the oak stairs do you recommend any good carpet runners that don't take away the beauty of the stairs? I have really small kids and i'm afraid when they start learning how to walk they might slip on them if they are wearing socks. I've had an experience in the past where I fell down the stairs.. ouch.

Thank you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next