HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:33 am 

DeeJay wrote:
Many thanks Patrob for the valuable advice. Our household is now in a debate amongst ourselves for whether to go with a tile or hardwood foyer and we keep changing our final decision. We like that tile has easier maintenance but we also like that having hardwood floors that match the staircase might create a more continuous look or a sense of unity throughout the space. Though on the other hand maybe it would look better to have some contrast in the space by using tile floor with wood/veneer staircase? What do you think looks more visually appealing from a design aspect - hardwood foyer and matching stain staircase, or ceramic tile foyer with staircase stained the same colour as hardwood in the great/living room that is beside the foyer area.

So to ensure we'd be able to have a flush hardwood installation in the future (for ex. 3/4" thick), we should ask to have the nosing at 3/4" too, or what height is the usual height used in new construction homes (and is there a hardwood thickness that could match this height). I'm not fully sure but I think the included nosing is oak veneer - should we upgrade at the design centre to get solid wood nosing then if we'd like to have hardwood floors in the future or could the oak veneer still match with the hardwood floors? Does raising or lowering the nosing affect the rest of the staircase (do components of it need to be removed then added back or replaced) or does it all the stay in place and just pushing the nosing up?

It all comes down to personal preference. How do you use your front door? Do you go in/out of house mainly through the garage? Then you might be ok with hardwood in foyer since will be mainly used by guests occasionally not everyday (unless they come visit you daily :lol: ). What does your main floorplan look like? Does your house come standard with hardwood floors? All nosings will be solid wood & it's good to have it done by the builder. If not done by the builder it can be done later but gets expensive since it's a lot of work & entire upstairs railing/pickets have to be removed, nosing installed & re-install all back.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:13 pm 

Thanks so much Patrob! So just to clarify, what do you advise I tell my DC about the nosing to ensure that I'll be able to get hardwood post-closing that will not be in conflict with the nosing height (or will be flush with the nosing height)? Or by any chance do you have any pictures of homes that got hardwood in their upper-hall but have a different nosing height - what transition options are there for the height difference there?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:05 pm 

DeeJay wrote:
Thanks so much Patrob! So just to clarify, what do you advise I tell my DC about the nosing to ensure that I'll be able to get hardwood post-closing that will not be in conflict with the nosing height (or will be flush with the nosing height)? Or by any chance do you have any pictures of homes that got hardwood in their upper-hall but have a different nosing height - what transition options are there for the height difference there?

Ask them for 3/4" nosing unless it's standard which I think it will be. We always make sure nosing is 3/4" otherwise we raise it if hardwood is also 3/4" thick. Sometimes you can go with thinner engineered hardwood if your nosing is lower as an option.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:49 am 

Thanks again Patrob. I just found out that they're only putting the 3/4" nosing if we get the hardwood in the upper hall for it. Tried to ask for the possibility of 3/4" nosing with the included carpet as we'd be changing to hardwood after closing but they said there was no chance to change nosing height (if we get the included carpet the nosing height is going to be 5/8 " but they weren't for sure on this height except that it wouldn't be 3/4 " but something that was decided based on carpet height) unless the upper hall got the hardwood upgrade.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:09 pm 

She might just be giving you a line. We did hardwood after closing, and our nosing was 3/4" with carpet without us asking anything about it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:37 am 

We're in a 9 yeard old mattamy model and looking to put new floors in.

My question is: Our new floors will meet up with the existing ceramic tiles which are staying. I want the transition from tile to hardwood/laminate to be flush so that no one ever trips on a bump in the floor. What thickness of flooring should I be looking for for best results?

Have you any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:42 pm 

Wakefield wrote:
We're in a 9 yeard old mattamy model and looking to put new floors in.

My question is: Our new floors will meet up with the existing ceramic tiles which are staying. I want the transition from tile to hardwood/laminate to be flush so that no one ever trips on a bump in the floor. What thickness of flooring should I be looking for for best results?

Have you any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

Lift up your carpet and see what height the tile is set at. Solid hardwood is always 3/4" thick unless you go with thinner engineered hardwood which can be from 3/8" to 3/4" thick. You can have a gradual slope at the tile eliminating a T-mold.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:53 pm 

DeeJay wrote:
Thanks again Patrob. I just found out that they're only putting the 3/4" nosing if we get the hardwood in the upper hall for it. Tried to ask for the possibility of 3/4" nosing with the included carpet as we'd be changing to hardwood after closing but they said there was no chance to change nosing height (if we get the included carpet the nosing height is going to be 5/8 " but they weren't for sure on this height except that it wouldn't be 3/4 " but something that was decided based on carpet height) unless the upper hall got the hardwood upgrade.

They might just be saying that so you take the hardwood upgrade from them. But nosings can always be raised if needed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:26 am 

Free bump for patrob! They've been great for me so far in terms of answering questions and providing quotes. I'm in the process of getting 3 quotes for due diligence, but their responsiveness has been excellent, very nice people.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:05 am 

Is a fireplace hearth needed in a hardwood room? We are getting hardwood after closing but getting a stone cast fireplace (and matching stone cast hearth if needed) through Mattamy. We prefer the look of the fireplace without a hearth, but the DC recommended getting a hearth because the fireplace heat could dry out adjacent hardwood and cause cupping/gaps/other deformation... On the other hand I read an article that said there are safety regulations that wouldn't allow any fireplace to be installed that could cause damage to the surroundings so it should be fine to have a fireplace with no hearth in a hardwood room? We have no hearth in our current home but we almost never turn on the fireplace anyways, not sure if we might use it more often in the new home though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:07 pm 

DeeJay wrote:
Is a fireplace hearth needed in a hardwood room? We are getting hardwood after closing but getting a stone cast fireplace (and matching stone cast hearth if needed) through Mattamy. We prefer the look of the fireplace without a hearth, but the DC recommended getting a hearth because the fireplace heat could dry out adjacent hardwood and cause cupping/gaps/other deformation... On the other hand I read an article that said there are safety regulations that wouldn't allow any fireplace to be installed that could cause damage to the surroundings so it should be fine to have a fireplace with no hearth in a hardwood room? We have no hearth in our current home but we almost never turn on the fireplace anyways, not sure if we might use it more often in the new home though.

No you don't need it if you don't want it. It's still a gas fireplace & it's totally fine without a hearth. Most people install it because they prefer the more traditional look. Sure DC will say otherwise because it's easy $$$ for them :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:36 pm 

Hi, Patrob. It took me a couple of days to read this whole thread and it was very useful to get some idea about hardwood floors. I was so amazed you have so many positive feedbacks from your clients.

I have a few questions about hardwood and laminate floors about my new home.
I bought Mattamy home recently in Milton and my closing day is Aug 21(hopefully no delay). My home is including hardwood floor on 1st floor with oak stairs.
I want either hardwood or laminate floor on the second floor except the laundry room, bathroom, and ensuite bath on the master bedroom because we don't like the carpet.
My home floor plan is

http://www.mattamyhomes.com/GTA/Communi ... bleton.pdf

We upgraded 4th bedroom in lieu of loft.

1. Could you give me quote for laminate floor with installation including other materials? Or how much is just installation fee if I buy laminate from somewhere like Costco or Home depot?
How is the quality of laminate floor from Costco?
2. If I choose hardwood floor like mirage or vintage brand engineered hardwood, how much is hardwood and installation fee?
3. How much is carpet removal?
4. Since my closing is on Thursday, can you start on Friday? How long does it take to install either laminate or hardwood floor?
5. Can you estimate total area to install hardwood/laminate floor based on the floor plan? (I estimated around 600ft2)

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:38 am 

shk wrote:
Hi, Patrob. It took me a couple of days to read this whole thread and it was very useful to get some idea about hardwood floors. I was so amazed you have so many positive feedbacks from your clients.

I have a few questions about hardwood and laminate floors about my new home.
I bought Mattamy home recently in Milton and my closing day is Aug 21(hopefully no delay). My home is including hardwood floor on 1st floor with oak stairs.
I want either hardwood or laminate floor on the second floor except the laundry room, bathroom, and ensuite bath on the master bedroom because we don't like the carpet.
My home floor plan is

http://www.mattamyhomes.com/GTA/Communi ... bleton.pdf

We upgraded 4th bedroom in lieu of loft.

1. Could you give me quote for laminate floor with installation including other materials? Or how much is just installation fee if I buy laminate from somewhere like Costco or Home depot?
How is the quality of laminate floor from Costco?
2. If I choose hardwood floor like mirage or vintage brand engineered hardwood, how much is hardwood and installation fee?
3. How much is carpet removal?
4. Since my closing is on Thursday, can you start on Friday? How long does it take to install either laminate or hardwood floor?
5. Can you estimate total area to install hardwood/laminate floor based on the floor plan? (I estimated around 600ft2)

Thanks,

From past experience we rarely installed laminate on 2nd floor (mostly basements), most people go for hardwood or they leave carpets. Obviously hardwood will have better resale value vs. laminate. Costco laminate is ok, we installed it a few times but also removed it to install hardwood floors lol I will send you more info.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:21 pm 

Thanks, Patrob. I put my email address in PM.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:23 pm 

Hi,
Wow what an awesome thread! I posted a hardwood question under a separate topic cause I hadn't seen this one. Wondering bout your thoughts on colours by vintage
Buckingham , Gotham or barouque?
Hand scrapped or smooth?

Thanks for your effort in all these responses.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next