HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 43  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:11 pm 

Palm Tree wrote:
When putting a rug on top of hardwood, is there a special underpad that needs to go under the rug? I heard some materials (whether it's the rug directly or the underpad) can damage some hardwood floors.

We're getting Mirage Red Oak engineered hardwood (Vienna), is it ok to use a steam mop? I know in another post you said to use a mop and spray, what kind of spray? Thanks :)

If the backing of the rug is soft then you don't really need any underlay unless you worry about shifting, then thin rubberized underlay mat is recommended.

NO steam mops on any type of hardwood! Mirage or Vintage has a hardwood cleaning kit which works very good & comes with a spray solution.

Is there a reason why you chose Mirage engineered? Their engineered products are very thin.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:58 pm 

Thanks patrob. We picked Mirage engineered hardwood based on what was at the decor centre. What does that mean that it's thin? I thought Mirage was supposed to be one of the best brands out there?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:25 pm 

Palm Tree wrote:
Thanks patrob. We picked Mirage engineered hardwood based on what was at the decor centre. What does that mean that it's thin? I thought Mirage was supposed to be one of the best brands out there?

Mirage might be one of the better brands but not their engineered. It's got the name but it's very thin multiply based thin veneer. Plus doing hardwood after closing is cheaper vs. with the builder! Plus at the DC they will tell you everything to sell the upgrade, that's where they make the most $$$ :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:38 pm 

Thanks patrob, so which brand of engineered hardwood would you recommend? I also have another question, when they stain the hardwood stairs, how long does it take to dry? How soon can you start walking on it after they stain it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:47 pm 

Palm Tree wrote:
Thanks patrob, so which brand of engineered hardwood would you recommend? I also have another question, when they stain the hardwood stairs, how long does it take to dry? How soon can you start walking on it after they stain it?

The best engineered IMO is made by Vintage their Solid Sawn product which is 3/4" thick with very thick veneer. Have you already finalized the hardwood upgrade through the builder? Stain dries pretty fast it's the clear coat that takes longer to dry.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:18 pm 

Do you acclimate the wood in a home before you install it? If so typically how long does this take? I know humidity can be a concern when it comes to installation, does it matter if hardwood is installed towards the end of winter?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:25 pm 

H&M wrote:
Do you acclimate the wood in a home before you install it? If so typically how long does this take? I know humidity can be a concern when it comes to installation, does it matter if hardwood is installed towards the end of winter?

Hardwood can be installed any time of the year as long as the wood & sub-floor moisture is within range. Therefore acclimatization is not always necessary. Acclimatization does not mean the wood sitting in the house for one week, it's the moisture difference between sub-floor & the wood. The closer the moisture between both, the better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:59 pm 

Hello Patricia,

I got a question and hope you could answer it.

Question again: Is the hardwood on the upper landing included with hardwood stairs. (if you only get the hardwood stairs as an upgrade)?
Upper landing - The sunken landing in Upstairs. it again has 2 steps (one each on either sides) to the loft and to the upper hallway.
If yes, does it also include those single steps?

My agreement says that upper-landing hardwood is included with the Hardwood stairs. But DC consultant added extra item for hardwood in Sunken landing (Some $900). I am yet to finalize my agreement.

Appreciate!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:02 pm 

TropicalRose wrote:
Hello Patricia,

I got a question and hope you could answer it.

Question again: Is the hardwood on the upper landing included with hardwood stairs. (if you only get the hardwood stairs as an upgrade)?
Upper landing - The sunken landing in Upstairs. it again has 2 steps (one each on either sides) to the loft and to the upper hallway.
If yes, does it also include those single steps?

My agreement says that upper-landing hardwood is included with the Hardwood stairs. But DC consultant added extra item for hardwood in Sunken landing (Some $900). I am yet to finalize my agreement.

Appreciate!

If the upper steps of the landing are hardwood then the upper landing should be hardwood. But if your agreement says it should be included then I would call the head office to have this clarified. I can't give you a definite answer sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:56 pm 

Hi! We are doing our stairs through the builder and we have the option of maple of oak...I am concerned if we choose maple the stain (we are going with a dark stain) will be different colours as the treads and railings are oak? Should we just go with oak?
All of the research I've done speaks to the difference in grain but other than that they appear to be complarable woods.
Any advice?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:30 pm 

dreamcometrue13 wrote:
Hi! We are doing our stairs through the builder and we have the option of maple of oak...I am concerned if we choose maple the stain (we are going with a dark stain) will be different colours as the treads and railings are oak? Should we just go with oak?
All of the research I've done speaks to the difference in grain but other than that they appear to be complarable woods.
Any advice?

If you choose maple stairs, then the railings/treads will also be maple. Are you referring that you are choosing a stain that you saw on a maple sample but your stairs will be oak? I say oak stairs are more common but it's really a personal preference.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:52 pm 

Mori&Shel wrote:
Hi Patrob;

I have been overwhelmed with choosing hardwood.
After speaking with different retailers and an installer we were told to go with a wood from this climate. Like Maple.
Any insights you may have choosing between Mahogany and Maple would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Go with domestic species like oak, maple or hickory.

Do not go with exotics unless you are going with engineered for better stability.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:30 am 

Hi Pat and Rob ... Thank you VERY much for doing my hardwood floors back in July ... I absolutely love them, and they're a perfect match to my staircase ... Everyone who has been to my house comments on them ... Looking forward to having you someday do my second floor ...

For anyone who's wondering, my staircase is oak with a Bruce Espresso stain, and Rob installed 5" hand scraped baroque ... all done in one day :D

Below are some pics (I'm not a good photographer ... sorry!)

Attachments:
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 73.05 KiB | Viewed 1597 times ]
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 76.09 KiB | Viewed 1597 times ]
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 75.63 KiB | Viewed 1597 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:16 am 

Wow, looks great Nadine!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:19 pm 

N and S wrote:
Hi Pat and Rob ... Thank you VERY much for doing my hardwood floors back in July ... I absolutely love them, and they're a perfect match to my staircase ... Everyone who has been to my house comments on them ... Looking forward to having you someday do my second floor ...

For anyone who's wondering, my staircase is oak with a Bruce Espresso stain, and Rob installed 5" hand scraped baroque ... all done in one day :D

Below are some pics (I'm not a good photographer ... sorry!)

You're very welcome! Thanks for the feedback & sharing your pics :D It was a pleasure working with you!

Looking forward to installing your second floor one day :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 43  Next