HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 643 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:24 pm
Posts: 21
Hi, Patrob. It took me a couple of days to read this whole thread and it was very useful to get some idea about hardwood floors. I was so amazed you have so many positive feedbacks from your clients.

I have a few questions about hardwood and laminate floors about my new home.
I bought Mattamy home recently in Milton and my closing day is Aug 21(hopefully no delay). My home is including hardwood floor on 1st floor with oak stairs.
I want either hardwood or laminate floor on the second floor except the laundry room, bathroom, and ensuite bath on the master bedroom because we don't like the carpet.
My home floor plan is

http://www.mattamyhomes.com/GTA/Communi ... bleton.pdf

We upgraded 4th bedroom in lieu of loft.

1. Could you give me quote for laminate floor with installation including other materials? Or how much is just installation fee if I buy laminate from somewhere like Costco or Home depot?
How is the quality of laminate floor from Costco?
2. If I choose hardwood floor like mirage or vintage brand engineered hardwood, how much is hardwood and installation fee?
3. How much is carpet removal?
4. Since my closing is on Thursday, can you start on Friday? How long does it take to install either laminate or hardwood floor?
5. Can you estimate total area to install hardwood/laminate floor based on the floor plan? (I estimated around 600ft2)

Thanks,

_________________
Phase 3
Nobleton Elevation B
Closing August 2014


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:24 pm
Posts: 1437
Location: Brampton
shk wrote:
Hi, Patrob. It took me a couple of days to read this whole thread and it was very useful to get some idea about hardwood floors. I was so amazed you have so many positive feedbacks from your clients.

I have a few questions about hardwood and laminate floors about my new home.
I bought Mattamy home recently in Milton and my closing day is Aug 21(hopefully no delay). My home is including hardwood floor on 1st floor with oak stairs.
I want either hardwood or laminate floor on the second floor except the laundry room, bathroom, and ensuite bath on the master bedroom because we don't like the carpet.
My home floor plan is

http://www.mattamyhomes.com/GTA/Communi ... bleton.pdf

We upgraded 4th bedroom in lieu of loft.

1. Could you give me quote for laminate floor with installation including other materials? Or how much is just installation fee if I buy laminate from somewhere like Costco or Home depot?
How is the quality of laminate floor from Costco?
2. If I choose hardwood floor like mirage or vintage brand engineered hardwood, how much is hardwood and installation fee?
3. How much is carpet removal?
4. Since my closing is on Thursday, can you start on Friday? How long does it take to install either laminate or hardwood floor?
5. Can you estimate total area to install hardwood/laminate floor based on the floor plan? (I estimated around 600ft2)

Thanks,

From past experience we rarely installed laminate on 2nd floor (mostly basements), most people go for hardwood or they leave carpets. Obviously hardwood will have better resale value vs. laminate. Costco laminate is ok, we installed it a few times but also removed it to install hardwood floors lol I will send you more info.

_________________
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:24 pm
Posts: 21
Thanks, Patrob. I put my email address in PM.

_________________
Phase 3
Nobleton Elevation B
Closing August 2014


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:05 pm
Posts: 2
Hi,
Wow what an awesome thread! I posted a hardwood question under a separate topic cause I hadn't seen this one. Wondering bout your thoughts on colours by vintage
Buckingham , Gotham or barouque?
Hand scrapped or smooth?

Thanks for your effort in all these responses.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:24 pm
Posts: 1437
Location: Brampton
Sal wrote:
Hi,
Wow what an awesome thread! I posted a hardwood question under a separate topic cause I hadn't seen this one. Wondering bout your thoughts on colours by vintage
Buckingham , Gotham or barouque?
Hand scrapped or smooth?

Thanks for your effort in all these responses.

Sorry for delayed reply, just now saw your question :)

We have Baroque installed in our house so I guess I am biased to that colour lol but Gotham is also very popular choice. Some people don't like the gray colour tones of Gotham & others prefer the classic dark brown. Buckingham is a little less popular & has more reddish/orange under tone & has a more "traditional" look IMO. It all really boils down to personal preference, if you are going for more modern look, go with Gotham or Baroque. If you have kids/pets I strongly recommend handscraped.

_________________
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:00 pm
Posts: 70
Hey do you have any thoughts or suggestions when it comes to installing hardwood in the kitchen?
Is there a type of hardwood that's more suitable for a kitchen vs another type?
I'm guessing that I would want a more durable, solid wood for if/when things drop on it to limit scratches and dents.
Is water damage also a major concern?

_________________
Phase 7 - lot 97 - The Sherkston


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:24 pm
Posts: 1437
Location: Brampton
romey wrote:
Hey do you have any thoughts or suggestions when it comes to installing hardwood in the kitchen?
Is there a type of hardwood that's more suitable for a kitchen vs another type?
I'm guessing that I would want a more durable, solid wood for if/when things drop on it to limit scratches and dents.
Is water damage also a major concern?

Water & wood does not mix well, there is always a higher chance of water damage in the kitchen (dishwasher/fridge water line leak). But the biggest concern is things being dropped, spilled & abrasion to the finish from crumbs etc. There is no wood on the market that will hide every damage but more grainy species like oak or hickory in lower sheen will hide damage better rather than smooth semi-gloss maple. Distressed or handscraped hardwood will be more durable at "hiding" damages better.

_________________
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:56 pm
Posts: 206
Location: Derry & Tremaine
By any chance do you have any pics of a dark grey or cashew hard maple flooring for customers. We bought a new home an we both can't decide on either dark grey or light brown and in maple. We currently have oak stairs and flooring in our current house and wanted to go maple this time but read feedbacks of all the damages /scratches showing more on the maple flooring. Yes we have 3 young kids, a small dog (yorkie) and a cat. Thanks again. Also does vintage scaping come in both oak and maple?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:24 pm
Posts: 1437
Location: Brampton
CHRIS&ASHLEY wrote:
By any chance do you have any pics of a dark grey or cashew hard maple flooring for customers. We bought a new home an we both can't decide on either dark grey or light brown and in maple. We currently have oak stairs and flooring in our current house and wanted to go maple this time but read feedbacks of all the damages /scratches showing more on the maple flooring. Yes we have 3 young kids, a small dog (yorkie) and a cat. Thanks again. Also does vintage scaping come in both oak and maple?

Sorry don't have pics of the cashew colour. In general with maple you have to be more careful since damages will be showing easier than oak or hickory especially with animals & small kids :) Maple has a smooth finish unlike oak or hickory. Yes maple does come in handscraped but is not cheap!

_________________
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:20 pm
Posts: 66
Hi, not sure if this has been asked yet or not but I thought I'd ask:

Do you need to have a humidifier or dehumidifier (installed with furnace/ac) with engineered hardwood floors? I'd like to keep the engineered hardwood in our new place looking new for as long as possible. Thanks for your help.

_________________
HVOP Phase 7


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:24 pm
Posts: 1437
Location: Brampton
MandMinM wrote:
Hi, not sure if this has been asked yet or not but I thought I'd ask:

Do you need to have a humidifier or dehumidifier (installed with furnace/ac) with engineered hardwood floors? I'd like to keep the engineered hardwood in our new place looking new for as long as possible. Thanks for your help.

You may not need either but you will need a hygrometer http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hygro ... 2mV01ftOOU to know what your humidity is. And if the humidity drops or rises above certain levels, then you will need to get one or the other. Your A/C acts as a dehumidifier in the summer.

_________________
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:20 pm
Posts: 66
patrob wrote:
MandMinM wrote:
Hi, not sure if this has been asked yet or not but I thought I'd ask:

Do you need to have a humidifier or dehumidifier (installed with furnace/ac) with engineered hardwood floors? I'd like to keep the engineered hardwood in our new place looking new for as long as possible. Thanks for your help.

You may not need either but you will need a hygrometer http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hygro ... 2mV01ftOOU to know what your humidity is. And if the humidity drops or rises above certain levels, then you will need to get one or the other. Your A/C acts as a dehumidifier in the summer.


Thanks for your super quick reply! I'll defiantly buy the hygrometer. What is the range or level of humidity that is ideal for engineered hardwood?

_________________
HVOP Phase 7


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:24 pm
Posts: 1437
Location: Brampton
MandMinM wrote:
patrob wrote:
MandMinM wrote:
Hi, not sure if this has been asked yet or not but I thought I'd ask:

Do you need to have a humidifier or dehumidifier (installed with furnace/ac) with engineered hardwood floors? I'd like to keep the engineered hardwood in our new place looking new for as long as possible. Thanks for your help.

You may not need either but you will need a hygrometer http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hygro ... 2mV01ftOOU to know what your humidity is. And if the humidity drops or rises above certain levels, then you will need to get one or the other. Your A/C acts as a dehumidifier in the summer.


Thanks for your super quick reply! I'll defiantly buy the hygrometer. What is the range or level of humidity that is ideal for engineered hardwood?

Depends on the manufacturer and type of hardwood. You should see what the manufacturer recommends. But could be anywhere from 30% to 80%.

_________________
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:28 am
Posts: 5
Hi patrob,

First off, thank you for moderating this thread - great resource and we've both learned a lot from you.

We're closing in December 2014 on our first home! It's in Brampton, Mount Pleasant phase 7.

Like many others' and your advice we're also going to be opting for the Mattamy stairs but sourcing out a vendor for after closing hardwood floors to keep costs down. Our plan is to find a vendor in parallel of closing so that we can have someone in place asap-after closing to install the hardwood floors before be move all the appliances and furniture in.

Can you provide a rough quote from a floorplan?
http://www.mattamyhomes.com/GTA/Communi ... rkston.pdf

What stain do I tell Mattamy so it can be easily matched?
We want that near-black brown - not sure if that's helpful in terms of wood but you posted an image here :
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9886

we were thinking of just doing the ground floor including kitchen and dining room.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again for a great resource for home owners!

_________________
Image

Phase 7 - Sherkston
Mount Pleasant, Brampton


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:46 pm
Posts: 531
Location: Glen Williams
Hi Patrob,

Hope you have been well !

Hoping you can provide your professional advice, 5" Vintage Handscraped White Oak in Buckingham vs Hickory Moorea Pearl.
What is your preference & do you have any pictures you can share from previous installations ?

Thanks so much :D

s


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 643 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.107s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]