HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:15 am 

Maintaining emotional well-being can sometimes feel like a continual balancing act. When life is going smoothly, it is easy to feel centered and secure. But difficult events inevitably arise and the feelings they cause can seriously disturb our emotional balance.

Use this space to share what helps keep you emotionally balanced...

For me, I find living in the moment...staying in the here and now...works best. accepting what has happened as being in the past and moving forward. Everyone has baggage, but we don't need to carry it with us everywhere we go. The past has happened and cannot be changed. You might make different choices in the future, but you can't change the ones you've made already.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:16 am 

Laughing at your own negative thoughts. Refocusing on something more pleasant, whether it be music/game/tv/movie/walk etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:16 pm 

Finding others who understand you, your issues and how your feeling is good.

Focussing on other things also help. I can't wait to go back to work so I am back into routine and can focus less on me and more on my students!

I'm finding right now too that I am trying to fix too many things in my life...so when more than one thing goes wrong, it makes it tough!

Keep on truckin :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:34 pm 

I could have eaten a horse today. I had no breakfast...which isn't good...well that's not true, I had a pear and a fibre one square. Then I had soup at lunch..some cherries, melba toast and a 100 calorie pack. Then I went to a union meeting...OMG....so stressful. I came home and could have eaten everything in my cupboard. I hate getting stressed out and then craving crap. Or wanting to eat everything.
I was having a stressful end to summer and that meeting just stressed me out more..ugggh!

Trying my best to focus :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:54 am 

I find that eating a lot of carbs throughout the day does wonders for my emotional, intellectual and physical well-being. Our brains need glycogen which comes from carbs and if you're glycogen deficient you become irritable. This morning I had 985 calories of pure sugar in the form of fruits and I feel f****** great!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:13 pm 
Perspective!
Ive also had a health scare this year, i dont complain when i see little kids with horrible diseases, yet big smiles on their faces,

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:19 pm 

f wrote:
Perspective!
Ive also had a health scare this year

U okay now?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:46 am 
So far so good, thanks for asking. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:54 pm 

Good to hear. Haven't heard from Wilton in a while. Hope he is doing ok too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:17 pm 

The Power of Now is an awesome book.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:25 am 

munchito wrote:
The Power of Now is an awesome book.

I found that book way too spiritual beyond reality, and I couldn't finish it.

I say people should read either The Myths of Happiness or The How of Happiness, both by Sonja Lyubomirsky.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:36 am 
Taking a nap. I never took naps and usually it just makes me tired, but sometimes napping instead of gym is awesome. PLUS those carbs! mmmm...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:43 am 

These Bots did something good by bumping this thread. I found a new job back in spring and had a longer commute as a result, which cut into day-to-day time and forced me to condense tasks into weekends. One thing I've embraced is to say to hell with it if you can't hit everything on the to-do list. Do the important things, but let the things that can wait, wait. Rushing and then getting frustrated leads to moodiness, snapping at loved ones (when you don't really mean to be mean), road rage sometimes when you think you're going to be late for something, and a sense of no control. There's only so many hours in the day, and another thing I've discoered: It's quite liberating to say NO to people and activities, and instead to make time to rest and recharge.

How do you parents do it all and stay sane? Are you all chronically sleep-deprived, or is it husband/wife partnership that's the difference-maker in getting things done? I have no kids, and yet I feel like there already isn't enough time to do everything (i.e. work, commute, make food, do errands, groom, clean house, and do things for personal enjoyment).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:28 pm 

Wow, good thing y'all keep repeating the same stuff!

Alpha, you have brought forth some good points and it is all about balance. Being a single parent you learn to put your priorities in order and get the important stuff done. If someone comes over and I haven't swept yet today, done all of the dishes or picked up after the kids and they don't like it...their problem, not mine. A long as me and my kids are happy and content that is all that matters.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:44 pm 

The experience of life is created through our thoughts, emotions, and encounters on a regular basis. I believe that emotional well being consists of our ability to ride the ebb and flow of emotions, as well. Our emotions are like the weather. Some days they are sunny and bright, but other days it is rainy and clouds cover the sky. The key is to recognize that underneath all of this is the miracle of our lives unfolding. We should remember that storms always rage throughout our lives, yet we can remember to be grateful for the source of our creation still having enough compassion to beat our heart and move our lungs.