HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fruitarian diet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:31 am 

I'm gonna try a diet of raw fruits and leafy greens for the next few days. I'm aiming for 2500 calories / day as a minimum daily caloric intake. I'm going to eat as much fruit as my stomach can fit until I can't eat no more every 3-4 hours. I'll keep track of my performance throughout and will report my findings at the end of the week.

Post subject: Re: Fruitarian diet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:29 pm 

Wow you are crazy dude - where are you getting these ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:44 am 

I'm in the middle of reading the 80/10/10 diet by Dr. Douglas Graham. He advocates a high carb (80% carbs, 10% fats, and 10% protein) diet in the form of fruit for optimal health. http://www.amazon.com/The-80-10-Diet/dp/1893831248

I also follow this video blog regularly
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders/videos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:33 pm 

Yesterday was my first day on this Fruitarian diet. I had a mostly fruit diet and 5 pieces of sushi at night. I'm estimating I ate around 3,000 calories. My tummy felt a little uncomfortable digesting all the fruit but it seems to have settled down today. Today I did the same and had some pasta in the evening. I've noticed a difference in my energy levels. I have much more energy today than I normally do. It's too early to tell but I also think I'm recovering from my workouts quicker than I normally do. I started a bulk phase this week and hit chest pretty hard on Sunday and so I expected to feel sore today but I woke up this morning feeling completely recovered. Today I hit legs pretty hard and am starting to feel the soreness right now we'll see how long it takes to me to get over it.

I'll be going in for a complete blood test at the end of this week to see how I'm doing overall and to check B12 and Iron levels.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:18 am 

Interesting - I don't think I would be up for it but still nice to hear the results.

I should do a blood test as well - do you ask for a specific type of blood test?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:56 am 

I would imagine something like this would almost lead to malnutrition. When people talk about diet the word "balanced" is almost always there. Which means a variety of things. But on the other hand if your taking vitamin pills or supplements of some other kind that would likely do the same thing. My sisters a vegetarian and must drink her Iron stuff daily otherwise she really feels the lack of it.

Sounds like your just eating specific nutrients excessively.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:00 pm 

I don't know what the tests are called. I'm going to explain my dietary changes to my doctor and get his feedback on what else he feels I should look out for.

@Strik3rr, yes it would lead to malnutrition if you're not getting enough calories. I'm on day 3 now. I'm aiming for 3,000 calories daily so that's a 600 calories more than I need to eat. I think a blood test would be a good indicator of any nutritional deficiencies.

Another observation I made today is with my bowel movements. The transit time for raw food is much shorter than with cooked food so I tend to go more often than usual. I feel like I'm emptying my bowels every time I go. There's a lot more bulk and water content and it doesn't stink.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:37 pm 

Barley Man....Thanks for that...I was eating my dinner when I read that!!! :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:14 pm 

I thought I'd post a status update. Been doing the mostly fruit diet for over a week now and I don't think I can go 100% raw vegan. I haven't lost or gained any weight but I have more muscle definition than I did last week. Energy level is great but It's very difficult to eat so much fruit to make up my 2.5K minimum caloric intake. I reached a point where I got tired of eating so much volume. What I find works best is to keep to mostly fruit + 1 big leafy greens salad and 1 cooked meal a day. The cooked meals are mostly plant based with the occasional sea food & meat dishes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:23 pm 

jasonsmith9019 wrote:
Its good that you made a diet plan and you were following it regularly,but initially your diet plan contained fruits and vegetables. And now you have come with one cooked meal in addition to your fruits and vegetables. So you can see that you are unable stick to same diet everyday, so my point is that instead of just relying on same diet 24*7 you can make a new plan for each day of week considering your target of 2500 calorie/per day.

Thanks Jason,

A few things have changed since this post. I like to keep it simple with busy schedule and so Fruits still make up a good deal of my daily calorie intake and I'm eating a ton of rice usually with curries or stir-fry. I'm also taking in more greens in the form of green smoothies.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:28 pm 

Crabbed wrote:
I've had a really bad experience with fruitarian diet and with fruit and aloe vera juice diet. After 4 days of keeping them I started to feel very tired and hungry, and I felt like I was about to faint all the time. Moreover, fruits contain much sugar and I've heard that many people gain weight on this diet. So I suppose its a bad idea, fruits are good for health of course but you can't get enough nutrients by eating only them.

You probably weren't getting enough calories to begin with. Fruits and veggies are low calorie foods so you'd have to eat a ton of them to get the base 1,200 calories your body needs for normal functions. You also need to eat a lot of greens to get your minerals. Fruits alone can cause nutrient deficiency. At the end of the day it's a very difficult diet to follow and not sustainable for most people.

You don't gain weight from eating fruit. yes it has sugars but it also has a lot of fibre and is water rich. Bananas for example are 75% water and 25% carbs. I've been eating massive amounts of fruit sugar getting anywhere from 2400 to 4000 calories a day and I'm pretty lean. You might say I have a fast metabolism but I started off close to 50 Lbs overweight and dropped most if on high carb low fat vegan diet.

I'm not suggesting this is the only way. I love to eat and I can't be satisfied with small portion plates so this lifestyle worked well for me. The best advice I can give you is to find what works for you and stick to it. There's also room variability. Lately I've been doing high carb low fat vegan diet on most days then I'll do a 1 day low carb cheat day (lots of meat, lots of fat). I'm guessing the low carb cheat days prompt a different hormone response and I'm able to drop more weight that way.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:16 am 

I forgot to mention you would need to supplement with vitamin B12 at the minimum. I take a daily Multi-Vitamin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:23 pm 

If somebody is interested in vegetarian diet, there is an event going on in Banquet Hall in Milton Sports Center on 28th July, starting from 4:00pm. It includes free vegetarian dinner. Kids and adults are invited alike. See below for flyer.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 48.03 KiB | Viewed 6495 times ]