HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Recipes for me?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:35 pm 

So I had three gallstones removed...and am very limited in what I can eat. I am having the gallbladder removed in the summer, but need to watch what I eat in order to make it till then without having any issues.
Normally...I am a very simple eater. I eat the basics...nothing fancy, nothing spicy, nothing that is too difficult to cook.
Here are the things I am supposed to avoid:
-hydrogenated oils
-margerine
-fried foods
-saturated oils
-red meat
-dairy
-eggs (poached are ok)
-chocolate
-black tea
-fruit juice
-carbonated drinks
-oats
-wheat
-barley
-beans(legumes)
-radishes, turnip, cabbage, cauliflower
-artificial sweeteners
-preservatives
-white flour
-nuts
-green veggies

So what have I been eating?
-I make a pot of soup every weekend to eat for the week. With carrots, onion, celery, fresh garlic and turkey or chicken
-in the morning, I eat some fish crackers or an egg on an english muffin(try to have egg on the weekends and one day during the week)
-dinner I have chicken or turkey....sweet potatoes, vegetables...I have also been eating subs here and there.
-i also have been drinking gaterade and water
-i am not a fan of quinoa...but this weekend I made a quinoa dessert which was good...but had chocolate in it...but I bought gluten free chocolate chips

That's about it...any suggestions? I don't eat fish FYI :)

Post subject: Re: Recipes for me?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:06 pm 

Oh Soupy! That's quite a list :shock: I'm searching for you but having trouble. I broke the list down into things that I think are 'easy' to cut out, and things I would struggle with.

Easy wrote:
-hydrogenated oils
-margerine
-fried foods
-saturated oils
-red meat
-chocolate
-black tea
-fruit juice
-carbonated drinks
-wheat
-barley
-beans(legumes)
-artificial sweeteners
-preservatives
-white flour

The things on the difficult list are not individually difficult to avoid, but collectively they are (for me). Every single one of my standard recipes has at least one of these ingredients.
Difficult wrote:
-dairy
-eggs (poached are ok)
-oats
-radishes, turnip, cabbage, cauliflower
-nuts
-green veggies

NO green veggies? No lettuce, celery, broccoli? That's tough.

Fruit for breakfast for sure. Maybe a smoothie with a non-dairy 'milk' product? I usually have rolled oats or cottage cheese with fruit so that's no help.

Can we focus on what you CAN eat? Especially vegetables. Then maybe I can search for those things in my cookbooks. I'm going to try to find a recipe that you can eat and I'll try it myself.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:24 pm 

Thanks :) I am eating some green veggies...it said to avoid them at first, but to gradually add them in. I have been eating a bit of broccoli...and celery in my soup. Otherwise, that's pretty much it. I'll have some broccoli with my dinners sometimes.

The dairy isn't a big deal for me because I'm also lactose intolerant and have IBS. So I usually avoided that to begin with. I would eat some cheese and deal with it...but obviously not eating it now. I am avoiding the nuts and the oats....the oats would bother me anyways.

I actually made a good little dessert. Problem is I want to eat the entire batch because I don't otherwise eat chocolate...but anyways.

It had
1/2 cup nuts (I used coconut instead)
1/2 cup of dried cranberries
chocolate chips...I bought some gluten free ones...( I used about half the package)
and then puffed quinoa
I couldn't find plain stuff, so I bought chocolate flavoured one..but you can make your own puffed quinoa.

You melt the chocolate in a pot...mix the rest together..then add the chocolate to the mix and they make little macaroon type things. You spoon them onto parchment and put them in the fridge for 30 mins.
Super good :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:04 pm 

Freeze 'em. Less tempting to eat the whole batch that way (did that with my Christmas baking).