HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:23 pm 

PM33 wrote:
Andy carried out my 30 day home inspection for my house on Rottenburg Court in Hawthorne Village Phase 7 and I must admit there are many issues he pointed out that I would never have noticed although this is my second home and I considered myself familiar with building code and general construction.

In addition Andy went out of his way to explain about operation of the equipment and provided maintenance tips even better than the builders PDI person. It is certainly a worthwhile investment.

Thanks Andy for the good job.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:48 pm 

:arrow: Honey,,,,, turn the HRV on, the house is a bit stuffy...... :?

One of the benefits of having us do your new home warranty inspection is that I also explain in detail how to use and maintain equipment.

Take this horribly dirty HRV in a 2 year old resale home. It has obviously been used often yet the home owner had no clue how to maintain it. Well, the results are that this unit is completely clogged with dust, small debris, and copious quantities of dead bugs, all making fresh air in the home impossible.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:29 am 

See the lint clogging this dryer vent ??

Fact is - Even when laundry dryer venting through the roof is done "right", it's a bad Idea. This "proper" roof dryer vent is on a NEW home, less than one year old, and even it's clogged.

Once in a while builders install the "right dryer vent" on roofs, because most of the time they install the wrong dryer vent, but that's another topic. The difference being that the wrong vents are intended only for bathroom exhaust and they have a SCREEN in them. Dryer vents, like this one are different because, in this case, they have a GRATE in them, NOT a SCREEN, and that's considered legal. So why then would the proper vent, like this one, still be a problem ??

The problem with these Durafo brand and other roof "dryer vents" is that they clog with lint. Clogged dryer vents DO NOT vent properly resulting in potential fire hazards and in most cases the home owners wonder why their dryers don't perform very well. Making matters worse, often roof dryer vents are totally inaccessible for home owners to check as part of normal annual maintenance and in this case the vent is located on a 3 story roof.

The good news is that most of the time dryers vent out side walls. My advice would be to find it, make sure it has no screen or grate, and check it once or twice a year.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:59 am 

elementZ wrote:
Had Andy come by my house to take a look at things. Communication was great, and he showed up early to the appointment. We went over the house, and pointed out some key things I need to keep in mind over the next year. The thermal imaging really helped because half of one of my bedrooms had zero insulation!. That alone was well worth the money.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:14 am 

Aaa wrote:

Hi all. For those in phase 3, have you noticed if your sump pumps has started to pump water out? We been here for two months now and haven't noticed the pump started.

Jeff Dee wrote:

Hey neighbour, our sump pump has been going off like crazy especially over the last 2 days when it was raining and the snow was melting.

What's most likely happening is the float bulb is stuck so it'll NEVER activate. That was the case with ours. The float was sandwiched between tub and the drain pipe, and the sump well was almost full of water! Andy from Halton Home Inspections checked it out and adjusted it / fixed it for us. (Thanks Andy)

Thanks Jeff Dee,

Setting up sumps properly is a very common task during my inspections and as you know, the float must be able to move freely up and down in the pit without hitting anything or rubbing against something. Plus, many times the long power cords to the pump and float are not organized in a manner that prevents them from entering the pit where they too can cause problems.

Assuming that a sump is set up properly - how often it goes off is impossible to predict. Some go off often for no apparent reason while others only go off when it rains or snow melts. Some pits are empty and never go off.

Best to wait until all the grading is done before making conclusions about your sumps.

:arrow: Glad I could help Jeff Dee. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:32 pm 

Looks good right ??,,,,,,

,,,, a nice metal turret style roof on this brand new Mattamy built Oakville home.

Well, maybe not so great after all. When you take a close look you can see that the cap is missing from the peak of this roof. Not only that, but other roof flashing details are missing around this home.

This is the reality for new home buyers - that the problem with some builders is getting the details right. As well, it appears that supervision is minimal or lacking the knowledge or willpower to insist things are done properly. The fact is, that it is up to buyers of these homes to protect themselves and ensure that they get what they pay for.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:22 pm 

Emailed from Dainiel March 5th 2015. A client from Oakville's Preserve development.

Quote:
Andy's service has been a great help to us.

As first time home owners we have ZERO knowledge about construction. Before the inspection, we never realized how many problems our seemingly perfect
home had. Most of the problems could have been easily overlooked if not for Andy. Not only does he have the proficiency, but he also cares for the customers.
Andy's service was great value and anyone who hasn't done so, should really consider hiring Andy to do their new home warranty inspection.

Best regards,
Daniel T.
Oakville, Ontario.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:50 am 

Posted on HomeStars, JK from Milton says,,,,

Quote:
Andy was great in conducting his inspection in a timely manner. He's well educated and took the time to explain the building code for deviations I never thought existed. He inspected the whole house inside and out, and took the time to explain how to maintain certain parts of it. I highly recommend using his services and I guarantee you will be greatly satisfied.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:42 pm 

Posted April 9th 2015 - General Section.

brenda2009 wrote:
Thank you Andy (Halton Home Inspection) for your thorough inspection of the home we are buying. This is the second home you have inspected for us and we wouldn't considering buying any home, new or resale, without using your services.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:03 pm 

sk1386 wrote:
Just want to say thanks to Andy for his exceptional service. Andy, you are a true professional who takes his time and pride in work. I am really happy with your service especially informing us about home maintenance and issues during the inspection. Without your help and experience we would not have caught issues for our 30 day inspection.

For those looking for inspection, I would highly recommend Andy. He is kind enough to offer consultancy in case of disputes with builder on warranty issues caught during inspection which I am sure I may be needing his help with. In addition, he takes his time in explaining stuff in details.

I am glad I called Andy for this to protect my home and have mattamy sort issues out. Definitely will be using Andy for 1 year inspection as well.

Thanks once again Andy!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:26 pm 

lacoste3 wrote:
Thank you Andy for a thorough home inspection. The issues you caught were MAJOR and I would have completed missed them for my 30 day. Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:14 am 

aboss wrote:
Hi all,

This review is late in coming... but Andy did a 30-day inspection for me on my new Mattamy townhouse. The reviews I read here were the reason I contacted him in the first place, and he definitely did not disappoint. Andy took me through the house in meticulous detail, explaining how everything worked, what was done well, what was done "poorly" but not a big deal, and several significant issues that had to be fixed.

He found several issues that I never noticed and wouldn't have otherwise found on my own: my main bath vent was roofed over and so wasn't making it outside... my HRV wasn't installed to code... etc.

The battle that ensued with Mattamy Warranty was, of course, super annoying... but everything was fixed eventually. Big thanks to Andy for providing awesome service. It was, without a doubt, worth every last penny!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:41 am 

surfer2 wrote:
Andy just completed our 30 day inspection today. Great guy with a tremendous amount of knowledge. Highly recommended.

Thanks Andy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:43 pm 

My new home warranty inspections are always worth it for clients. Not always, but more often than not problems are found that the builder needs to repair that far exceed the cost of my inspection. After this client received her online PDF file new home warranty inspection report of her new Mattamy built home Nicole writes back via email -

Quote:
Thanks, Andy. This is fantastic. This has been some of the best money I've spent so far on my home. I was expecting things to be wrong but to actually see what you discovered was pretty overwhelming and upsetting as majority of it is clearly negligence rather than a simple human error.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:47 am 

Quote:
Thanks very much Andy. I received the report and was able to view it. It looks excellent. I'm pleased that I chose your company to conduct my new home warranty inspection and I thank you for taking the time to explain things in detail to me.

Oliver

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next