HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:59 pm 

MANY PEOPLE THINK ,,,,,,

,,,,,, that new built homes are more or less perfect, that the trades and builders all work together to ensure that new homes are built properly and that things have been inspected.

Well,,, if that was the case then the 3 gas code violations would not exist between these 2 one year old Oakville homes. But then again, it is an everyday occurrence when inspecting new homes that there are often code violations, poor workmanship issues, or missing items at these "new" homes that are noted, often including photos and code references, in the warranty report that we send to our clients.

The good news is that both of these home owners are our clients and now for the first time, both of these homes have been properly inspected. Both home owners have also received our detailed online PDF reports with photos and code references and they have attached the reports to their Tarion one year list.

As you can see in the photo, there is often lots of venting, meters, exhausts, and intakes on the side walls of homes. Many of these vents have specific gas code clearance requirements that MUST be done properly. In this case, it is obvious that no qualified inspector from the gas company, the builder, or the HVAC company, identified any of these code violation and health / safety issues.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:33 pm 

Wow that is crazy that no one else caught this issue!
Side note, what is that black pipe on the left side with some sort of clean out access?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:10 pm 

funnyman82 wrote:
Wow that is crazy that no one else caught this issue!
Side note, what is that black pipe on the left side with some sort of clean out access?

Hi funnyman82,

Clearance issues with venting is common. I participated in a pilot project training course a number of years ago held by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. The main focus of the course was how to train builders to coordinate all the different trades to produce a proper product. This willy-nilly slam bam build a few hundred homes thing creates problems.

As for the black pipe with a clean-out, it is the sump pipe being directed to the perimeter drain below grade. Most corner lots here in Milton and in Oakville have this set-up but I am not sure why it is only those homes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:46 am 

" Thank you again Andy for going that extra mile."

I can and do often help my customers with new home warranty issues well beyond the inspection.

For example -

Every home needs a specifically sized furnace to properly heat the home. The size of furnaces is based on BTU's ( British Thermal Units ) and will depend on the size of the home and the insulation values of the home. When you hire an inspector to inspect your new home he or she better be experienced or there is no doubt that furnace size issues will be overlooked.

Last year I performed a 30 day warranty inspection in a new built home on Farmstead Drive in Milton just north or Britannia Road. One VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE that was identified was that the 30,000 BTU furnace was not adequate for the home. As a result, this important issue was noted on the 30 day inspection report for the builder to resolve. In other words - the builder needed to install a properly sized furnace for the home.

Ten months later, as we are going into another winter, the customer phoned me to do a "review" of the home for his one year warranty submission list and I was told that the furnace issue was STILL NOT RESOLVED BY THE BUILDER. Obviously disappointed by this builders warranty team I sent MY CONTACT at this builder an email asking why this issue had not been resolved.

I did not hear back from the builder BUT soon after I got this email from my client -

Quote:
Hi Andy,

I just wanted to thank you very much for contacting the Warranty department at Mattamy. They replaced my furnace today with a 40,000 BTU unit. The home feels much better now. Thank you again Andy for going the extra mile!

Syed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:44 pm 

Unfortunate new home buyer :(

Why buy a new home if you can't comfortably live in it ??

Mattamy + Tarion = Fail.

This leaky Mattamy home had problems that were identified during the one year inspection that I did with the client over a year ago. Missing roof and wall flashing details, other roof issues, moisture issues in the basement, and in my opinion, a poorly designed faux / fake chimney on the front of the house were some of the issues noted in the inspection report. In the basement there were moisture and mold problems hiding behind some insulation at the bottom of the fake chimney. A year later, after everything was supposedly fixed the unrelenting leaks turned wood subfloors to rot as well as mould with some fungus growing from the subfloor. The unfortunate new home buyer paid Tarion for a conciliation but the Tarion inspector made no real effort to see if issues were in fact fixed and as a result of this lame "inspection" the new home buyer lost their conciliation fee and the inspector sided with Mattamy. Well, if the Tarion rep made just a little bit of effort he would have not only found moisture at the basement ceiling he would have found the offending rot, mould, and even the fungus growing from the wet rotting subfloor below the faux chimney.

:arrow: I have a contact at Tarion who was able to have the new home owners conciliation money refunded.

Now of course the repairs are quite intrusive and on and on it goes.

:arrow: One of many emails from this client - below -

Quote:
I got a call today from the Tarion manager Nicole K######. She asked questions and wanted my pics. She said that I will be getting my $250 back. You are a God send Andy. Again can’t thank you enough.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:10 am 

nan wrote:
Hi Halton home inspector,
In your opinion, does Mattamy takes a concern more seriously if it is brought up in a home inspection report v/s the home owner saying " I think this is not right , can you fix it" Also, how long does the inspection usually take, how do one arrange this if they have renters in the house?

With Mattamy, the answer is sometimes. YOU saying "I think something is not right and can you fix it ?" will often not get you anywhere. But, most of the things I identify are not something most home owners are aware of and are usually not negotiable.

I look for building code violations, gas code violations, missing items, poor workmanship issues, etc. I do not comment on cosmetic issues, inspect cabinets or counters for scratches, nail-pops, floor squeaks, or any other simple things that home owners can easily identify and who in some cases builders improve as a courtesy.

My reports are very accurate, include photos, and include codes. Builders are seldom able to legitimately dispute issues. Don't get me wrong, sometimes getting anything fixed can be a challenge regardless of the issues. All your communications with the builder should be via email where it is documented. Verbal promises are not something you can depend on.

You are entitled to ask your tenant to give you access to the home for the inspection and that has not been a problem for any of my many customers who rent homes.

Inspections typically take 2.5 to 4.5 hours depending on the size of the home and the number of issues that come up.

For additional information please just phone me at 905 876 4761.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:41 am 

Quote:
yonoid

I used Andy a couple times and the items he identified easily saved me a lot of money by getting the builder to correct it vs me paying for it down the road.

The builder may not fix it just because the home inspector marks it down, sometimes you need to keep on them or escalate through tarion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:00 pm 

Binou wrote:

I started this thread as I was faced with the decision whether or not I was going to invest in professional home inspection for my 1-Year warranty. As far as I could tell everything looked to be in good order. I couldn't identify even 1 deficiency. Since I am a total layperson in this field & the house represents my biggest investment, I decided it was better to be safe than sorry. I am very glad that I did.

I hired Andy Shaw, Halton Home Inspections. Andy did an amazing job. He identified 10 builder deficiencies, 5 exterior & 5 interior. This included missing shingles, an incorrect vent, insufficient attic insulation, non-gas-proof garage man door, etc. Trying to fix 1 of these things aftermarket would probably have cost more than the report. And I wouldn't have even known that these things needed to be fixed until probably something leaked, broke or whatever.

Andy's report was thorough, organized & very easy to read. It included great descriptions, references to building codes & pictures. I attached it to my Tarion 1-Year report. Saved me a lot of time completing the report. When I sell, I can give the new buyers a copy of the report to verify the home's condition.

I will definitely use Andy in the future if the need presents itself. In terms of Andy himself, very pleasant, on time, professional, lots of cool tools, took his time to explain & show me everything & answered all my questions. I am 100% satisfied with Andy & Halton Home Inspection.

Thread - http://www.hawthornevillager.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70497

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7