HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:03 pm 

Laura and I were talking to Mandy at the pub about removing the kneewall in between the family room and kitchen. We were also discussing putting in pillars in between the dining room and hallway in lieu of the full walls.

I was wondering if anyone that has bought a Huxley/Scotswood, or anyone else that is interested in responding and knows what I'm talking about has any insight into possible costs, or aesthetic advantages.
Is there anything that we should consider you might suggest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:13 am 

Removing the knee-wall, they should charge about a few hundred bucks.

I don't remember exactly waht they were chrging last year for a decorative column (I think it was in the neighbourhood of $600). What will greately affect the cost of reploacing the wall with columns is wether there is a supporting stad withion the wall (you can not put a column around a stad). Also, if there are ducts going through this wall, most likely then not Mattamy will not remove the wall and change the ducting at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:46 pm 

Marc,

Eliminating the kneewall in the family room is a great idea - it would make the breakfast and family rooms more open and allow for better traffic flow between the two spaces and to the patio door. I'm not sure about adding two pillars - I think it would overwhelm the space especially since there is only about 3 1/2' in front of the closet.

Seeing a Huxley/Scotswood may help with your decisions. One of the models in Brampton was the same/similar to a Scotswood or just ask a current owner if you can see their house - Hawthorne Villagers are very friendly! I did that to see the Lyndhurst and people were not only willing to let me see their home but offered suggestions as well.

From what other people have told me, Mattamy charges around $100-150 to delete something (e.g. kneewall, column). It's a lot more to add something, depends on what it is.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Lyndhurst
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:39 pm 

Hi Dory and Arman,

First, I should mention that we had originally purchased a Lyndhurst but decided that we wanted a bigger backyard. We have switched to the Brentfield which is one of the new 50' models (our lot is actually 56' wide) because the lots are almost 100' deep, instead of 80'. It was a tough decision because I loved the layout of the Lyndhurst and the porch; although the Brentfield has some nice features too.

Here are some suggestions for the Lyndhurst:

• Eliminate the corner pantry accessed by a door. The low pantry is just a couple of low shelves and not very practical. A better idea is to install a pantry (18" or 24" depth - regular height) either where the fridge is currently or to the right of the sink. This gives you more counter space as well. An added bonus is this enlarges the powder room by a foot (you can then place something beautiful in the extra space like an antique armoire to hold towels, t.p. etc!)

• Move the sink and vanity in the ensuite to the empty wall

• Change the walk-in linen to a regular linen closet. This moves the lower Laundry wall up resulting in extra space in front of the sink in the Main Bath. I've seen the Lyndhurst both ways and agree that the extra 1'+ does make a difference.

• Definitely put the window seat in Bedroom 3

• Eliminate the columns - if not all three, definitely the one in the middle to be replaced by a wall similar to the Glenwood model. Unless of course you like columns (which add formality) - this is personal taste.

• Eliminating the art niches gives you more flexibility when purchasing/hanging art. Also, because there is no mirrored closet in the hall, it would be nice to place a large, full-length mirror so you/guests can check yourself out!!

Vanessa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:15 pm 

Hi Dory and Arman,

You are very welcome! Yes that's exactly what I was trying to say. Both the wall between the Linen closet and the Laundry; and the wall between the Laundry and the Main Bath move towards the Linen closet by about 1', leaving the size of the Laundry room the same. This results in the extra 1' in front of the sink in the Main Bath.

Vanessa