HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:45 am 

pdjelaj wrote:
In ours the opening to the pantry/dining room is different by almost 1 foot vs the opening to the family room, it is also a different height then the opening to the basement/garage door.

The pantry / dining and breakfast / family room opening might be a little different fm the garage / basement area. If you have pictures of the framing you should notice that there is probably some ducts / piping / electrical running right through the ceiling of either the p/d & b/f doorway. To make is esthetically pleasing they will lower the doorway of the other one so that you don't have multiple different transitions and heights throughout the house. The garage / basement area isn't all that important for esthetic's b/c it is really out of the way.

My 2 cents...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:43 am 

pdjelaj wrote:
The same issue with the other side when looking into the family room and kitchen from the dining area.....we are just confused as to why it would be like this and if this is normal for some reason for the plan since to us it makes absolutely no sense to have uneven doorways right next to each other..

Now you are making me think about my home. I haven't moved yet (obviously) but the next time I break into my "future" home I will be looking for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:02 am 

theresa wrote:
fetajr wrote:
theresa wrote:
I dont have a plan 6, but we removed our kneewall on a Plan 4 - and our post lines up with the handrail, I noticed this yesterday.

I hope its not just me...i'm not a picky person... but it looks dumb doesn't it?..and if i were obese, i'd have trouble passing through between the post and the wall.

I have contacted the site supervisors about this.

I've contacted my rep , let me know what yours says

I heard back from rep, and she says that the build team has repaired our banister/picket issue. Hopefully so as our carpet is now in and our stain is done. Gonna be a mess to fix it if they didn't actually do it.

Any reply on your end?

thanks for the update. We also had ours corrected, they mentioned that building code states there must be at least 32" wide passage between the post and the wall....gotta love those builder codes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:36 am 

fetajr wrote:
saimam wrote:
can you post a pik, i have a plan 6 and have removed the knee wall to get pickets.. havent seen mine yet. i would like to picture exactly what you are talking about.

sure thing, ... stupid me was there twice to see it and never took a pic, i'll do it this weekend and post it if they haven't fixed it.

can you post a pik, did they fix this issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:34 am 

A thread I started in the upgrades section is related to the handrail/post issue with our plan 6. Please go to the link below to see the pics.

http://www.hawthornevillager.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=26391

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:10 am 

thanks for the link, thats a big mistake.. they really messed up the staircase, will need to look out for that in my house. ill talk to the builder before they put up the railing.

Post subject: Closing Costs
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:32 pm 

Anyone who has already moved into their Plan 6 give an idea of what the closing costs are? I have a rough idea from the paperwork that Mattamy gave during the home purchase but that was over a year ago and expect that it would have increased marginally.

And since i am not a first time home buyer I know that land transfer will hit me as well. Anyone know what those are like?

Post subject: Re: Closing Costs
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:45 pm 

LEAF wrote:
Anyone who has already moved into their Plan 6 give an idea of what the closing costs are? I have a rough idea from the paperwork that Mattamy gave during the home purchase but that was over a year ago and expect that it would have increased marginally.

And since i am not a first time home buyer I know that land transfer will hit me as well. Anyone know what those are like?

yup... mine is gonna be between $8K-$9K...about half of that is the land transfer tax since we are no longer 1st home buyers....my ass hurts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:55 pm 

fetajr wrote:
mine is gonna be between $8K-$9K

:shock: And I thought that my estimate of 8K was high... Oh well... Gotta live with it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:32 pm 

http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetails.a ... ID=9507617

:shock:

congrats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 pm 
That's pretty liberal with the square footage estimate 2300 != almost 2500sqft in my books.

Wasn't that house selling for 353000 starting ? on the initial spirit release. Maybe I should have bought one to flip afterall :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:31 pm 

we bought our plan 7 for 335 before upgrades, so, the plan 6 would have been less.

either way, i'm sure they're making a pretty little profit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:44 am 

i bought my Plan 6 last yr in May for 350! put in 40K upgrades- total cost 390. i wouldnt wanna sell for less then 500K!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:28 am 

evelyn_55 wrote:
Can someone post a picture of a kneewall in family room? We are having a hard time deciding whether to leave the kneewall or upgrade to pickets and railing. Thanks!

Can't help with the pictures as I had it removed to be replaced by pickets / rail. The benefits that I saw immed (compared to others that have a kneewall) were that it really opens the space visually and lets natural light further into the home.

Just my 0.02 cents...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:28 pm 

evelyn_55 wrote:
Can someone post a picture of a kneewall in family room? We are having a hard time deciding whether to leave the kneewall or upgrade to pickets and railing. Thanks!

we upgraded to pickets, best thing ever, it really opens up the space.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next