HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:23 pm 

So far there a few of us complaining about the ugly bulkheads Mattamy is calling coiffered ceilings in the chef's kitchen lay out. Mattamy is not giving us a concrete answer as to why this can not be removed. Yes I understand bulk heads are installed for mechanical purposes, yes I know sometimes it is needed when a stove is against an interior wall. But all of this does not make sense when many other 30' lots have the same mainfloor layouts and similar second floor layouts and plan 5 seems to be the only one with the bulkheads in the kitchen. all the other chef's kitchen layouts have coiffered ceilings in the living room when the chef's kitchen option is selected and all of these layouts have a stove against an interior wall. So what is the reason for these UGLY bulkheads in the chef's kitchen layout of plan 5???? If someone can answer my question please do so!! I too will be demanding some questions of Mattamy because this just does not make sense to me!! If there are any other Plan 5, 30' lot owners on this forum who chose the chef's kitchen lay out and are considereing removing the builkheads, please let the rest of us know if you are successful!!!

Post subject: Re: Lot # 1 - Ruhl Drive
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:48 pm 

zinotran wrote:
I have Lot # 1 closing in March 23, 2011 and have a chef's kitchen layout. My DC consultant was Patrizia and I got the same answer that we cannot remove the bulkhead on top of the kitchen cabinets. And I dont get a reasonable answer. She just said you cannot remove them and thank you....
So please let me know as well if we can talk to Mattamy together and get it done.
Thanks

Now i'm getting Mad :x ...they are still not giving a concrete answer. This is very FRUSTRATING. i read a thread here on Hv villager some negitive words on DC consultant Patrizia... so i'm not going to trust her.
We should all call in to Mattamy's head office and ask to speak to someone in charge of construction...and have them explain why it can't be deleted. B/C... having the stove on an interior wall doesn't cut it. I had my stove on an interior wall on my previous house and i had to bulkheads. So don't give me that answer. There's one thing i noticed with Mattamy is ....if you call them and leave a message never get back to you. this is my second home i've purchased with Mattamy :x :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:26 pm 

My design consultant (Tiffany) told me that they can put a "partial bulkhead" that is half the depth so that you can still get the crown moulding that is part of the upgraded kitchen packages.

This is for a 30' Plan 6 Model. Not sure if that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:18 pm 

Hey gang,

We were in a similar situation for our 43' home.
Also had the lovely :roll: Patrizia as our DC & was told we could not delete our bulkheads.
The consultants have standard construction dwgs that they have to follow & they have little control with custom requests.
Otherwise, change orders would have to be issued, approved & new dwgs would be required for the builder, trades etc.
(Hubby & I are in the industry so I understood & totally respect this)
However, keep in mind what happens on the construction site can be very different.
We had a great site super that was willing to work with us on a few special requests.
In the end, we don't have any bulkheads even with a stove on an interior wall.
Good Luck to you all !

s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:52 pm 

I also had Patrizia as my DC and was told they can't delete the bulkhead. I've been in a few homes under construction that are the same model as mine and there is nothing to be found in the bulkhead.

Your DC gives you the official Mattamy line that bulkheads can't be deleted. I would wait until your home is under construction, then ask your builder to remove the bulkhead if no mechanicals need to be installed through it.

In the end, I had the option to delete the bulkhead but decided to keep them as it would look amazing with some crown moulding. Mind you, I have 8' ceiling but if I had 9 footers, then I'd delete the bulkheads for sure. Good Luck and keep us informed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:20 pm 

S and M wrote:
This is the latest update that we have just received.

I have been on the phone back and forth with the DC manager this week. She informed me today that she meet with the architect and site manger, basically because they haven’t built this model with the Chefs Kitchen they are not sure if the Bulkhead can be deleted. The DC manger did reassure me that if the Bulkhead can be deleted they will do it. She also told me that during our frame-walk we should ask the site manager again if it can be done.

The DC manger still wasn’t able to tell me what is in the Bulkhead. She said that she would look into it and get back to me.

Are fingers are crossed in hopes that we will move into our new home with NO Bulkheads!

Did anyone else get this same answer?

Hi S and M,
Good work on trying to get some answers on the BULKHEAD Dilema... In Ancaster they are building our model... and from what i could see, none had bulkheads...and 2 or more homes were ready to close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:51 pm 

Thanks for the updates S&M. I guess we all have to be pretty persistent with this matter when we all meet with our DC reps to ensure that we get those bulkheads removed!! For those Plan 5 owners twith Chef's kitchen layout hat are closing before us, keep us posted!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:39 pm 

The "partially removed" means they're only half the depth of a normal bulkhead. So a normal bulkhead would come out from the wall all the way to the front edge of your cabinets. These ones would only go half way, meaning if you got the moulding on top of the cabinets it will be there, along with a small amount of space.

We were told by Tiffany that if we took the partial bulkheads the construction crew would delete it if possible. I've also heard suggestions to just talk to your building team, as they're actually involved in the construction of your house, and so may be more equipped to help with whether or not your specific home can have the bulkheads removed completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:56 pm 

Sorry to take this thread on a slightly different tangent, but I've got a question: for those of you who have the regular kitchen, is the piping for the sink and dishwasher coming from the wall, or through the floor?

We're thinking of re-doing the kitchen after we move in (getting rid of the peninsula, and creating an island). We would have gone with the Chef's architect's choice, but didn't want the coffered ceiling. We're still thinking about the partial deletion of the bulkhead and trying to envision what it would be like with what we're trying to do.