HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:13 am 

I hate vertical blinds. We just got a semi sheer curtain, that let in enough light during the day, but allowed for privacy at night.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/strike- ... hes/925385

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:11 pm 

Either way , curtains or blinds can be kept at a low cost, Base your decision around the current decor of your home. What type of window coverings do you have on existing windows near the sliding door? ( I dont know what your floorplan looks like ). If your kitchen is not connected to any other room in the house, then you dont have to apply the rule of flow and you can put whatever you like. If it is open to other rooms, then I would try to keep a blance with the joining rooms. Its hard to provide advise without knowing what your decor is in the home since that also has an impact on the decision. If you cant decide right away. Just purchase a very cheap covering of any kind and save up for something a little more expensive in the future. You can explore more options with a slightly bigger budget. Some of my personal favs are:
- blinds inside the glass of the sliding door (can be operated manually or by remote control)
- remover sliders and install french doors with Roman shades, bamboo shades...etc....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:16 pm 

I think we are going to go for a roller shade. I would never have thought of them, but we went to an open house where they had them, and they looked great. The sliding doors on our new home are very large. We went to price the roller shades the other day from Covers, and they would be about $350 for 2 panels. You can get them in a plasticy, kind of material.. so it is very clean and easy to roll up and down for the kitchen.

hope that helps

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:30 am 

I second the roller blinds, they do look very nice and they can be put on a remote control. Later on you can add drapery. Giving your doors a dressed up layered look

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:31 am 

This photo is not of my home it's just off the net.
But we did have roller blinds on remotes that control the entire back side of our last home. With a touch of a button every window in the kitchen and family room open up. We loved them and so did everone who came to see the house when selling.

It was not expensive, we purchased them from covers. I believe the blind was around $100 and the remote $200 or something like that. They have 40% off day we purchased on a sale day. I will be putting blinds on remotes in our new house too.

They have an instaler, paid for the install. I also recommend getting the battery operated ones not the hard wire. with the hard wire you will have to hide the wire and run it to a plug, gives and unfinshed messy look.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:24 pm 

go to ikea - they have curtains. Something cool i've seen are panel curtains