HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:36 am 

I was looking at property in town recently and came across some models with terrible floor plans that actually have a lot of potential with a little bit of adjusting. One such example is Mattamy's Moorside model.

Below I have posted the original floor plan (1570 sqft) as well as a version with my take on it.

Attachment:
Moorside Original.jpg
Moorside Original.jpg [ 84.43 KiB | Viewed 2415 times ]

Attachment:
Moorside Updated.jpg
Moorside Updated.jpg [ 98.89 KiB | Viewed 2415 times ]

As you can see the original kitchen just looks just sad. I however saw much potential in this layout so I did a fairly accurate/ scaled revision of both floors (I added a grey colored grid where each square represents one sqft with a slight bias against me). The main floor has this wall separating the kitchen from the family room. By simply removing said wall, you open up the space to great possibilities.

The initial kitchen design has no counter space without upper cabinets above. Once the wall is gone a relatively large (4' by 6'6") island with comfortable seating for 4 becomes possible. The family room can accommodate a large 9' sectional with enough walking space all around. Of course the 3' rule is obeyed.

For the purpose of house flipping this model is great because a big improvement can be made simply by wall removal and kitchen renovation. Even if the wall is a supporting one, then I believe two supporting columns can be placed at the ends of the island as a substitute.

The second floor is where things get a little bit more extensive with my renovation ideas. A big emphasis is placed on closet and washroom space. In the updated version the laundry room is moved to the basement. In theory an upstaris laundry sounds good but in a small place like this, its just a loud eye sore of a mess! With the laundry room gone, a HUGE!!! (hers) walk in closet is possible along with a separate (his) closet in the master bedroom.

The en-suite is also dramatically redesigned. It features a 7' counter with separate sinks, the toilet is placed as far away from the counter as possible and the walk in shower has a unique design with enough space for multiple people (3'3" by 8'6").

Married people have to share enough things as it is. Closets and sinks should not be amoung them!

The master bedroom its self is downsized in order to accommodate such changes.

Personally I think that space is better off being allocated to the closet/ en-suit than to extra living space around the bed when working with such square footage. In my configuration, there is 3 ft of space between the sides of the king sized bed and the walls as well as 4'9" between the end of the bed and adjacent wall.

Bedroom 3 is slightly reduced in size (but gets more closet space) which makes it more comparable to bedroom 2. This is still big enough to comfortably accommodate the spoiled kiddos.

Lastly the hallway is also changed. It just looks better and maintains at least 3 ft of width.

Bedroom 2 and the second washroom is left unchanged.

This is my idea of bringing the Moorside into the modern area. I was considering the purchase and revision of this model however nothing came of it so I want to share my taste online.