HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:34 am 

MAM wrote:
Has anyone noticed foundation leaks resulting in pools of water along the perimeter of their basement?

Has anyone ripped out the insulation to monitor this more closely?

We just closed last week and I've noticed the same thing.

I haven't ripped out the insulation. I'm guessing that water is seeping in because the grading hasn't been done yet and there are huge puddles of water right up against the side of our house right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:29 pm 

I noticed the same problem in my basement. Now this is what I'm dealing with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:51 am 

At this time we are using a dehumidifier to control the moisture. I did hire an mold inspector to check the basement and the rest of the house.
Once I receive the report on his findings then I will know what my options are. I will have to have someone come in to remove the mold but not sure yet who will pay for this expense.... Will it be me or Mattamy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:01 pm 

We had water on the insulation under one of our windows. I thought it was a foundation crack, but it turned out b/c property wasn't graded yet, and eavestrough run off pipe was close to the window, water run off from rain or snow melting would come into the basement.... Fixed once property was graded and when I bought a bendable plastice pipe to divert water run off elsewhere so water follows property slope to sewer grating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:35 pm 

Hi MAM

No I've always had a dehumidifier. I'll admit we weren't using it right when we moved in. We've only been living in the house for a month. But regardless I should not be having this issue as far as I've been told.

Efflorescence.... yes this is what is on the foundation wall, however even though Mattamy tells you it is normal to see efflorescence its not. From what I've read and from what the inspector has told me, an over abundance of it as I have it all along the perimeter of the basement can cause a problem. This substance is not mold but can act as a food for mold to grow and in some areas of my basement this is what is happening.

First off when I took possession of my home I was missing the eavestroughs and downspouts so that didn't help any. They installed those 2 1/2 weeks after we moved in. I can't control when Mattamy decides to complete things. Should I be held responsible...I don't think so. Same goes with the grading. They still haven't caulked around the windows yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:17 pm 

I'm off of Yates on Bartleman Terrace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:06 pm 

Well Mattamy was given the mold analysis report on Thursday and still nothing has been done to rectify our problem. In the mean time I've been jumping from house to house. If they don't give me an answer on Monday as to what they are going to do then I'll have to look at other alternatives and it won't be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:41 am 

There is no eveidence of any leaks. I've spoken to a lot of people all who specialize in this field and all have told me the same thing. I should not be having this problem. I was told also that when a foundation is poured in the winter its supposed to be better.... concrete will dry (cure) in the winter. Tarion sent one of their field representatives to my house to inspect the problem and of course she sided with Mattamy. So far I've been in contact with her manager and apparently someone from a company called CLEAR North America is supposed to call me to arrange an appointment to do more testing. Still haven't gotten a call. This is crazy in the meantime we are breathing in this air. I even spoke to my lawyer and I've been given a contact of another lawyer who deals with these cases. I'm very close to calling I have given them enough time to do the right thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:46 pm 

MAM wrote:
Just from the brief description you posted it seems as if this is all being pinned right on your back.

In my mind, there's an obvious problem - mold. To rectify the problem, there must be a solution. This solution should be provided to you by the builder and Tarion. The only trick with that is that there may be cost impicatios that may prevent the free flow of information.

In my opinion, I would give the lawyer a call. You need to know what your options are; continue to live, sell, REFUND.

Good luck to you.

This is defiantly what they are trying to do. I'm not the only house on my street with this problem. There are a couple others. Poor maintenance I don't think so. I've spoken to a few companies who specialize in this and they said there is no way I should be held responsible for this. Tomorrow a third party is coming to the house to do some more testing. We will see how that goes. Its not just about the mold that is in the basement but the airborne spores as well. Litigation will be my next step. I think I've exhausted all other resources. However there is always Environmental Canada. Wonder what their take would be on this??