HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock Model
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:11 am 

Nice kitchen!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:35 am 

Thanks everyone. I'll try to get some more this weekend and post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:42 pm 

apk wrote:
Thanks everyone. I'll try to get some more this weekend and post.

Your kitchen looks awesome! Would you mind sharing what cabinets and hardwood you got? We're planning a similar look in our kitchen!

Firm Closing Date: September 14, 2017

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:57 pm 

apk wrote:
Miltonliving_2010 wrote:
Thanks! But the model home has the standard layout.. We chose the open concept layout. So sadly, it doesn't really help me :(

Still a work in progress (from last week), but coming along.

This is amazing. It looks really good. Me and my wife were driving around the houses about 6 weeks ago and saw your house. It wasn't open but we saw the kitchen from the back and really liked it. Are you able to answer a few questions:

We just had our appointment, but have a few days to finalize stuff.

- Did you get any upgrade for the island (other than faux cabinets) and the cost? We went with faux cabinets, but like the look of the extended sides and baseboard.
- We wanted the island to be a different color so went with the classic cabinets ($4k difference compared to the included grande kitchen line). Did you get the white or cream cabinets? and is it the included line or an upgrade. You might just have saved us a bunch of money lol.
- Did you get the hood from Mattamy?
- Length of small office wall (from window to the opening; in the dining room area). We want to know if we are able to put a TV in that corner and whether to get a cable outlet etc there.

I would really appreciate this.

Ps: We did a few upgrades and once everything is finalized next week, i'll post a list so folks can get an idea of the costs etc (especially for things not in the book).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:47 pm 

lalexa, please see notes below on cabinet. Flooring is the included oak engineered hardwood (satin finish in estate brown, 3"x3/4" straight). They wanted something ridiculous like $7k to upgrade to a dark brown. You can redo the entire house for that afterwards. We figure we'd let the kids destroy this then spend the money and replace it with the good stuff later.

vannar14 wrote:
- Did you get any upgrade for the island (other than faux cabinets) and the cost? We went with faux cabinets, but like the look of the extended sides and baseboard.

Yes, we did the following:
-Deleted upper cabinet above stove/cooktop opening
- Deleted Kitchen Bulkheads
- Master kitchen package
- Base cabinet for slide in range
- Stacked Upper Cabinets
- Gas line for stove
- Valance light rough-in for kitchen
- Faux doors on island
- Install furniture kicks on the back and side of island
- Additional base cabinet on right side of island (when standing on sink)
- 6" Island corner post w/o trim
- Added pendants rough-in only

vannar14 wrote:
- We wanted the island to be a different color so went with the classic cabinets ($4k difference compared to the included grande kitchen line). Did you get the white or cream cabinets? and is it the included line or an upgrade. You might just have saved us a bunch of money lol.

Sorry, but this is an upgraded cabinet - Frendel Kingston Maple in Winter White with Cabinet Hardware #9645 (upgrade). These are a Classic Premium cabinet.

vannar14 wrote:

Nope. Bought it after and installed myself. Note, that if installing a gas range (ours is dual fuel - electric oven), you'll need more than the basic vent.

vannar14 wrote:
- Length of small office wall (from window to the opening; in the dining room area). We want to know if we are able to put a TV in that corner and whether to get a cable outlet etc there.

Yup! At least 61" wide as we have a desk that large in there. My recommendation is as follows (wish I could go back and do this again). Order the Framing For TV Wall Mount if you are getting the fireplace. This puts a 2.5" conduit from behind the TV and drops down directly to the basement. You then get to pick a location where the conduit comes up for your components. The conduit is not capped on the bottom, so super easy to add more cables after. You can easily put a hole in the Pocket Office Wall and drop directly to the basement if you need to run something to the office. I am going to do this soon. This frees up the Cat5 and coax drop to be put anywhere else on the floor :D Alternatively, the Pocket Office is a good spot too - personal preference. Keep in mind they use the cheapest Cat5 possible - I was a bit disappointed. I would also suggest getting the conduit that runs from the basement to the attic so you can fish your own cables later.

Pictures to come later. Need to tidy up a bit. :?

Last edited by apk on Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:21 pm 

Apk, what is the height of your hood fan?

apk wrote:
lalexa, please see notes below on cabinet. Flooring is the included oak engineered hardwood (satin finish in estate brown, 3"x3/4" straight). They wanted something ridiculous like $7k to upgrade to a dark brown. You can redo the entire house for that afterwards. We figure we'd let the kids destroy this then spend the money and replace it with the good stuff later.

vannar14 wrote:

- Master kitchen package
- Stacked Upper Cabinets
- Gas line for stove
- Faux doors on island

vannar14 wrote:

Sorry, but this is an upgraded cabinet - Frendel Kingston Maple in Winter White with Cabinet Hardware #9645 (upgrade). These are a Classic Premium cabinet.

vannar14 wrote:

Nope. Bought it after and installed myself. Note, that if installing a gas range (ours is dual fuel - electric oven), you'll need more than the basic vent. Ours is 600 CFM, and super quiet on all but the 4th (highest) speed. It requires a 7" exhaust, but Mattamy only offers a 6", and you can't reduce it (against code, gets louder, etc). If you are really nice to the builder of your home, they may help you out :wink:

vannar14 wrote:

Yup! At least 61" wide as we have a desk that large in there. My recommendation is as follows (wish I could go back and do this again). Order the Framing For TV Wall Mount if you are getting the fireplace. This puts a 2.5" conduit from behind the TV and drops down directly to the basement. You then get to pick a location where the conduit comes up for your components. The conduit is not capped on the bottom, so super easy to add more cables after. You can easily put a hole in the Pocket Office Wall and drop directly to the basement if you need to run something to the office. I am going to do this soon. This frees up the Cat5 and coax drop to be put anywhere else on the floor :D Alternatively, the Pocket Office is a good spot too - personal preference. Keep in mind they use the cheapest Cat5 possible - I was a bit disappointed. I would also suggest getting the conduit that runs from the basement to the attic so you can fish your own cables later.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 pm 

apk wrote:
lalexa, please see notes below on cabinet. Flooring is the included oak engineered hardwood (satin finish in estate brown, 3"x3/4" straight). They wanted something ridiculous like $7k to upgrade to a dark brown. You can redo the entire house for that afterwards. We figure we'd let the kids destroy this then spend the money and replace it with the

Thanks! We also wanted upgraded hardwood (dark greyish brown, level 3). Someone on the forum was kind enough to send me their Trenton design book. I calculated the cheapest dark floors would be like 6k for the family/dining room and kitchen! I thought it was a joke. Not sure whats so great about the hardwood that makes it $1500-2000 more than the included hardwood per room! I'll think about it when my turn at the design center comes, but right now i'm leaning towards the "estate brown" - it looks great here!

Firm Closing Date: September 14, 2017

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:19 pm 

Thank you, very helpful.

- That makes sense about the cabinets, we'll be sticking with the classic/classic premium option in that case.
- We weren't' given any detailed options for island, she just said there is a $2500 option to get kick plates and extended sides for your island. Do you remember how much the 6" corner posts and the kicks on back and side cost? Also did you get 4 posts (as we like the finish you guys got).
- Thanks for the info about conduit etc, i'll most likely get the option. I was asking about the wall that is on the left of the patio door (on the office side). Its a small wall that has the door in it. Would you happen to know the length of that wall from the door to the outside wall (see picture below)?

apk wrote:

vannar14 wrote:

- Master kitchen package
- Stacked Upper Cabinets
- Gas line for stove
- Faux doors on island

vannar14 wrote:

vannar14 wrote:

Nope. Bought it after and installed myself. Note, that if installing a gas range (ours is dual fuel - electric oven), you'll need more than the basic vent. Ours is 600 CFM, and super quiet on all but the 4th (highest) speed. It requires a 7" exhaust, but Mattamy only offers a 6", and you can't reduce it (against code, gets louder, etc). If you are really nice to the builder of your home, they may help you out :wink:

vannar14 wrote:

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 3.15.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 3.15.12 PM.png [ 104.93 KiB | Viewed 3189 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:34 pm 

heather22003 wrote:
Apk, what is the height of your hood fan?

18" tall. It's a GE Cafe CV936MSSC 30-in Undercabinet Range Hood.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:36 pm 

lalexa wrote:
apk wrote:
lalexa, please see notes below on cabinet. Flooring is the included oak engineered hardwood (satin finish in estate brown, 3"x3/4" straight). They wanted something ridiculous like $7k to upgrade to a dark brown. You can redo the entire house for that afterwards. We figure we'd let the kids destroy this then spend the money and replace it with the

Thanks! We also wanted upgraded hardwood (dark greyish brown, level 3). Someone on the forum was kind enough to send me their Trenton design book. I calculated the cheapest dark floors would be like 6k for the family/dining room and kitchen! I thought it was a joke. Not sure whats so great about the hardwood that makes it $1500-2000 more than the included hardwood per room! I'll think about it when my turn at the design center comes, but right now i'm leaning towards the "estate brown" - it looks great here!

We were really worried it would pull too red. It looks a lot better when you put in some furniture. So hard to tell the finishes in the showroom.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:51 pm 

vannar14 wrote:
- We weren't' given any detailed options for island, she just said there is a $2500 option to get kick plates and extended sides for your island. Do you remember how much the 6" corner posts and the kicks on back and side cost? Also did you get 4 posts (as we like the finish you guys got).

- We only did the 2 posts ($1356 for both)
- Additional base cabinet = $217
- Furniture kicks on back and side = $542
- Faux doors on island and pennisulas - $886 for Classic Premium

Quote:
I was asking about the wall that is on the left of the patio door (on the office side). Its a small wall that has the door in it. Would you happen to know the length of that wall from the door to the outside wall (see picture below)?

Oops! Wrong one. 2.5 - 3". From my shoulder to the tip of my fingers on one arm....you could get a smaller TV there (32").

A few more pics.

Attachments:
IMG_20160410_203843.jpg
IMG_20160410_203843.jpg [ 81.26 KiB | Viewed 3147 times ]
Living Room 002.jpg
Living Room 002.jpg [ 136.23 KiB | Viewed 3147 times ]
Living Room 001.jpg
Living Room 001.jpg [ 131.11 KiB | Viewed 3147 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:52 pm 

Here's the front of the island.

Attachments:
IMG_20160410_203852.jpg
IMG_20160410_203852.jpg [ 87.18 KiB | Viewed 3147 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:27 pm 

apk wrote:

Thank you, we'll also ask for the 6" posts on the seating side with furniture kick. Crown moulding looks great as well with the pot lights. We got the grande kitchen, so crown moulding is included in the kitchen, but thinking of getting it throughout now.

I really appreciate the pictures and all the answers; they've helped us a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:49 pm 

vannar14 wrote:
apk wrote:

Thank you, we'll also ask for the 6" posts on the seating side with furniture kick. Crown moulding looks great as well with the pot lights. We got the grande kitchen, so crown moulding is included in the kitchen, but thinking of getting it throughout now.

I really appreciate the pictures and all the answers; they've helped us a lot.

No problem. The kitchen came with the crown on the cabinets (really finishes it off nicely!), but we put the crown in after (see Liam at LOC Carpentry https://www.facebook.com/LOC-Carpentry-113117345436065/). Liam does amazing work, and is fast (1st floor and common space on 2nd floor in 2 days!) Same with the pot lights (George @ Nightingale Electric http://nightelectric.ca/ - awesome guy, great work. He works a lot with Liam.) Just an FYI, LED pot lights will flicker when heavily dimmed, and cheap dimmers will cause them to flash off periodically. We had this problem, and George came back and replaced the dimmer. Fine now. You can read the reviews on this site (search Electrician4U). ESA licensed (its the LAW) and insured - highly recommended.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:44 pm 

Thank you so much for the photos! The house looks beautiful, it's so nice to see a finished version.
Enjoy the new place and thanks for the tips on lighting and mouldings. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next