HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Waterford Chef Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:37 am 

Hello Everyone,

I have booked waterford model from Mattamy. I am confused about taking design upgrade of kitchen and making it chef kitchen. Can some one advise me on that? If anyone can send me pics of chef kitchen in waterford model, it will be highly appreciated.

Plus what architechtural upgrades one should opt for.

Thanks everyone for reading my post and your time.

Regards,

Zap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:06 pm 

zapper wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I have booked waterford model from Mattamy. I am confused about taking design upgrade of kitchen and making it chef kitchen. Can some one advise me on that? If anyone can send me pics of chef kitchen in waterford model, it will be highly appreciated.

Welcome Zap!
I think it comes down to personal preference and what your needs are.

We didn't get the Waterford, but our situation with our Trenton was similar. If we got the Chef's kitchen, we would get significantly more cupboard/countertop space, which obviously we liked, but getting the chef's kitchen meant we would lose the eat-in kitchen.

We decided we didn't really need the eat-in kitchen because 1) The location of our dining room isn't far from our kitchen; and 2) An island/breakfast bar is included in the chef's kitchen; therefore, if we want to eat in the kitchen we can because there's room for 4 at the breakfast bar. This might have been more of a concern if we had small kids, but we don't yet (maybe we'll regret it then :lol:).

Personally, I prefer the look of the chef's kitchen in the Waterford. I think the window over the sink looks great, and that long 'L' shape generally offers a lot of space. In the standard kitchen I don't really like the look of those pillars or the raised bar (shown below). But of course, it all depends on what you need and like.

In terms of other upgrades, adding the gas fireplace and super shower or bath oasis seem to add value to the house. (We actually went with the gas fireplace because if we didn't we'd have no where mount our TV! And, I would have liked the bath oasis, but it wasn't in the budget.).

Here's a link another user posted to a Waterford on MLS. Looks like the standard kitchen to me.
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... rio-L9T0B3

Hope this helps!

Attachments:
Standard Kitchen.jpg
Standard Kitchen.jpg [ 43.4 KiB | Viewed 3699 times ]

Firm Closing Date: September 14, 2017
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:17 pm 

I hope I can provide some advice.

Based on pure future potential re-sale value you should definitely go with the alternate ground floor kitchen layout.
The kitchen is the hub of the home and if you are going to spend ANY money at all, it should first go to the kitchen then bathrooms.
Remember you will probably move home in several years and this house will appreciate much more with a wow kitchen.

Also the space is more inviting and you can add a wall mounted TV on the wall opposite to kitchen or later buy an electric fireplace with a mantle you can place your TV on top and add a sofa and one sofachair near the backyard window to make the space functional.

Yes you loose the breakfast but you are better off buying a glass breakfast table and placing it in the living/dining room.

This is also important: The entrance to the house is way too long and narrow to be just a living room. You have to add a second sofa to make it an actual living room/dining room but don't add a big dining table just a small-medium sized glass dining table round if possible right before the stairway to second floor.

These suggestions PLUS the beautiful STOP AND DROP seat will make the house look like a model home if you can get granite for kitchen, done now or later.

So you should get the alternate ground floor and supershower or bath oasis whichever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:39 pm 

I see the long hallway/ living room from the foyer of a Waterford as a waste of space. It's an inefficient design.