HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:56 pm 

HP99 wrote:
Thanks Janda_mel...do you have this colour in your kitchen??

I do.. I'm just unpacking and once I find the camera I'll take some shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:37 pm 

Here they are HP99. We were a bit apprehensive at first about the colour but I gotta tell you - we love it. With the tumbled marble and quartz the kitchen has such a natural/earthy look,which is what we were going for.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:18 pm 

zhamid wrote:
It should be a crime to have that Ikea table and chair set with that kitchen. I am fairly certain it's a sin in at least half a dozen religions.

:( You are right and I am sorry; I guess it's time to start retiring the furniture from Uni. - it's been a long time coming I suppose.

Hanif & Michelle wrote:
Jeff, your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous!! (I didn't expect anything less than gorgeous though!) The dark cabinets are really nice.
The cabinet up grades are beautiful! The molding detailing is great!! I also love your back splash!! ... It is all put together really well! (And look, more wine!!)

Enjoy your new home!!

Michelle Smile

Thanks Michelle! I gotta say though that we do have a lot of fond memories of the old house. I imagine that you are fully loving your Melville!

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:20 pm 

Hey Janda_mel your pics are gorgeous. The kitchen looks amazing. Thanks for postings the pics. I bought a 36 ft lot and my cabinet provider is Canac but I am looking for something similar to your cabinet. Either that or maybe the expresso. Haven't really decided yet, but your kitchen is beautiful!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:21 pm 

I agree about the kitchen table....I think its time to upgrade :)
lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:32 pm 

HP99 wrote:
I agree about the kitchen table....I think its time to upgrade :)
lol

...I'm going to miss that old table :(

Canac has some great countertop choices so I think you could do well to put together a very classic kitchen with their choices. They actually have more choice than Cortina. Good luck!!

jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:32 pm 

I've been wanting to post this for awhile for others with the Wellington model and am now getting around to it.
This can obviously be installed in any house that has a gas fireplace to start with :wink:

This is sort of a 'How to' for doing your own floor to ceiling stone fireplace like the old model home had.
The pictures are self explanatory, and the bottom line is that it cost 3k in total.
I did the framing, and cement board myself and paid the stone company to install the stone; the mantle was bought on ebay.

I scored major points with my wife for managing to complete this for Christmas .

If anyone wants more detail on this project feel free to PM me.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Last edited by janda_mel on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:30 pm 

janda_mel, that fireplace is equisite!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:22 pm 

Hey Jeff

Congrats on finishing the project - you are the MAN

Maybe you can consider doing fireplace renovation as a second profession - LOL/semi-serious

Neighbour's Envy - Owner's Pride

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:41 pm 

Wow. Very impressive!

May I ask if you had a raised fireplace and/or did it have a hearth to begin with (I can't tell from the picture) and if so was this an upgrade that you did with Mattamy? We'd like to do potentially something similar over time, so are wondering if we'd need to have the fireplace raised from whatever the standard is?

Thanks janda_mel and GREAT JOB!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:00 pm 

Thanks for the complements! I'm relived that it turned out as well as it did.. as it was quite imtimidating at first (...cement boards are pretty heavy to carry up a ladder by onself!)

To answer your questions Milton Leo... here are a few thing to have Mattamy do if your home is in the pre-build stage that will make the project easier.

i) Raise your fireplace 10-12" - 12" makes a great height for sitting when the hearth is completed
ii) Install a hearth, although I framed out this hearth after closing (lxwxh, 72x18x12")

After you close you can pay the fireplace install company to move the fireplace forward and extend the gas line and vent when you are ready.

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:09 pm 

janda_mel wrote:
... here are a few thing to have Mattamy do if your home is in the pre-build stage that will make the project easier.

i) Raise your fireplace 10-12" - 12" makes a great height for sitting when the hearth is completed
ii) Install a hearth, although I framed out this hearth after closing (lxwxh, 72x18x12")

Thank you Jeff. Great advice, much obliged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:51 pm 

Thanks again for the complements; to answer your questions...

Quote:
how did you secure your framing to the existing framing, its hard to tell by the picture and second, if it's not to much trouble, I'm interested in where you bought your stone and if they were the ones who installed it since it was done so well.

I secured the frame to the wall using 'L-brackets' secured with 2 1/2 " wood screws; the L-brackets were used every 16" to be safe. The weight per sq. ft is approx. 7 lbs. so my goal was to 'over secure' the frame to be safe. The wall where I installed the fireplace uses 2 2x6's studs all the way up because of the height of the wall, which is a great support. I then secured the 2x6 at the top of the frame to the ceiling joists to reinforce it a bit more. Lastly I ran 2x6 pieces horizinontally to brace the frame and then secured these pieces to the studs in the wall for even more support!

I bought the stone from stoneselex.ca, Jerry was the individual who I dealt with. He's one of the owners. Their office is right at Renforth/401 .

kanda wrote:
What size of wood did you use, 2x2? Thanks!

I used 2x6's. The cement board adds 1/2" as does the mortar...then after the stone is applied the fireplece ends up being 8" out from the wall.

Quote:
did you have to pull the fireplace unit out, to compensate for the depth of the stone wall?

I had the fireplace installers come back and move the fireplace forward 8"

Good luck with the projects! It's really one of the highlights of our house.

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:13 pm 

M&CTAYLOR wrote:
Hey Jeff,
Thanks for the quick response. I was planning to tear down the drywall to expose all the framing to build off but the L brackets are a great idea that will save much work and time. I have been having a hard time finding a stone dealer so thanks for sending me the link.

Matt

No problem Matt. A good stud finder will help you find all the studs that are hiding behing the drywall that you can fasten the frame to there are quite a number to work with.

Jeff